• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
    "Tell No One"

Exciting French thriller.

"Sherlock Jr"

Really funny Buster Keaton silent film. I really enjoyed it.
    Sherlock Jr is one of my favourites. Cameraman is great as well if you haven't seen it.

Comment

• Three films I watched today:

"The Future"

Directed by (and starring) Miranda July, the same woman that directed (and starred in) "Me And You And Everyone We Know". Part of it is narrated by a cat; part of it features the boyfriend being able to stop time and talk to the moon. But it's interesting to see these characters shaken from their ennui, and how they react to this chain of events.

"Young Adult"

I love dark comedies, and I think Reitman and Cody did a fantastic job with this. Patrick Wilson and Charlize Theron played their parts quite well, but Patton Oswalt was sublime.

"Martha Marcy May Marlene"

Fascinating and unnerving portrait of psychological abuse. Elizabeth Olsen (the younger sister to the famous Olsen twins of yesteryear) is pitch-perfect, conveying both the formless youth that can be susceptible to a cult lifestyle, and the tortured paranoia it breeds. One of the quotes from the movie, spoken by Olsen, is "Do you ever get that, when you can't tell if something's a memory, or if you just dreamed it?" The film leaves the viewer alternating between these two states.
      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

• Hey Boylen, I've been wanting to see MMMM. Does it leave you unreconciled about what really happened? Does it have the flavor of Nathaniel Hawthorne's Young Goodman Brown?

Just saw Tiny Furniture, streaming on Netflix. I loved the movie and loved the dialogue. Apparently it's of the genre called Mumblecore Cinema, aka bedhead cinema or Slackavetes. Mumblecore is characterized by low budgets, amateur actors, recent post-college characters and strong dialogue. I sure loved the dialogue in this movie, about a college graduate who returns home to New York with a film degree and no marketable skills. Her home is a Tribecca Loft that seems so otherworldly huge that it can only be a set piece. Or can it? The loft actually belongs to the writer/director/star Lena Dunham's mother, who also stars in the movie, along with Dunham's sister Grace. Dunham's mother is a successful photographer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
          Hey Boylen, I've been wanting to see MMMM. Does it leave you unreconciled about what really happened? Does it have the flavor of Nathaniel Hawthorne's Young Goodman Brown?
          I'm unfamiliar with "Young Goodman Brown", but yeah, it does leave a lot unanswered.
          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

• 21 Jump Street

Entertaining stuff.
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• "Melancholia"

It's a difficult film to watch, and I found myself losing interest at points, but the last 20 minutes are incredible. Kirsten Dunst does a great job as the lead character.

There's no question it's a Lars Von Trier film, certainly.

Comment

• John Carter. About 25 minutes too long.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

"Young Adult"

I love dark comedies, and I think Reitman and Cody did a fantastic job with this. Patrick Wilson and Charlize Theron played their parts quite well, but Patton Oswalt was sublime.
                  I really liked this one too. Theron was terrific. So gorgeous and yet so repulsive at the same time.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    I really liked this one too. Theron was terrific. So gorgeous and yet so repulsive at the same time.
                    we liked it, too

Comment

• I saw "Being Flynn" last night, starring Robert DeNiro and Paul Dano (of There Will Be Blood fame). I decided to watch this after catching Oxcoug's company's DeNiro/Weitz Q n A.

Wow. This movie rocked me for an hour and a half. Probably because of my daddy issues, mommy issues, and heightened sensitivity right now to portrayals of drug addiction. I thought it was great, though. Paul Dano is a joy to watch act, and DeNiro was good too.

This movie gets you in the details- the homelessness, the grime, the cacophony, the violence, and the profanity juxtaposed with the charity, selflessness, understanding, love that are all generated by humans and left to be sorted out. Not a popcorn movie, and I'm glad I saw it alone, but I thought it was worthwhile.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Tonight I saw the Flowers of War, starring Christian Bale, based on a true story which takes place in a Catholic school for girls in a Chinese city after a 1937 WW2 Japanese invasion. Christian Bale plays an American undertaker who shows up under perilous circumstances to take care of the recently deceased Priest over the school and finds himself up to his elbows in conflict.

I kind of feel like I just saw Schindler's List or something, because it was super heavy, maybe a little cathartic, but mostly just sort of depresso. This one may be a bit of a downer for date night.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Footloose

The new one. So bad.

Comment

"Tell No One"

Exciting French thriller.

"Sherlock Jr"

Really funny Buster Keaton silent film. I really enjoyed it.
                            Tell No One is great, also a fun read of the book it is based off by Harlan Coben.
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

"Melancholia"

It's a difficult film to watch, and I found myself losing interest at points, but the last 20 minutes are incredible. Kirsten Dunst does a great job as the lead character.

There's no question it's a Lars Von Trier film, certainly.
                              You know you could have contributed to this epic Melancholia thread.
                              http://cougaruteforum.com/showthread...ht=Melancholia

In a weird way this and Take Shelter kind of seem like companion pieces. Though I liked Take Shelter a lot more.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                                You know you could have contributed to this epic Melancholia thread.
                                http://cougaruteforum.com/showthread...ht=Melancholia

In a weird way this and Take Shelter kind of seem like companion pieces. Though I liked Take Shelter a lot more.
                                btw, anyone know the whereabouts of one Green Lantern?

Comment

Working...
                                X