No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Knifes Out. Was underwhelmed although I may have gone in with overamped expectations. Didn't like Daniel Craig as the southern gentleman. Loved Toni Collette as the vamp. Loved Rian Johnson's camera angles. Not so much his coloring. Two questions:

1. Was the husband having an affair with the nurse, or with someone else??
    2. So the nurse was Brazillian (she has a portuguese last name) but she emigrated from Uruguay? Wouldn't that mean that she legally obtained a work permit in Uruguay, and then legally obtained another one in the US? Why wouldn't she just obtain one directly from Brazil to USA? Seems to me that the Brazillian-to-US path is a little easier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      Saw Knifes Out. Was underwhelmed although I may have gone in with overamped expectations. Didn't like Daniel Craig as the southern gentleman. Loved Toni Collette as the vamp. Loved Rian Johnson's camera angles. Not so much his coloring. Two questions:

2. So the nurse was Brazillian (she has a portuguese last name) but she emigrated from Uruguay? Wouldn't that mean that she legally obtained a work permit in Uruguay, and then legally obtained another one in the US? Why wouldn't she just obtain one directly from Brazil to USA? Seems to me that the Brazillian-to-US path is a little easier.
      Daniel Craig was great.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Didn't like Daniel Craig as the southern gentleman.
        What did you think of him in Logan Lucky?
        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Cabrera is a Spanish last name.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Daniel Craig was great.
            I thought so too.

I saw this before Christmas and had no expectations. Hadn't heard of it and our 20-year-old said it was good, so I wondered. But it was very entertaining. The doughnut hole speech still cracks me up.
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
              I thought so too.

I saw this before Christmas and had no expectations. Hadn't heard of it and our 20-year-old said it was good, so I wondered. But it was very entertaining. The doughnut hole speech still cracks me up.
              I liked KniVes Out, too. It is not a change your life sort of movie but very entertaining and I thought Craig was very good.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Saw Knifes Out. Was underwhelmed although I may have gone in with overamped expectations. Didn't like Daniel Craig as the southern gentleman. Loved Toni Collette as the vamp. Loved Rian Johnson's camera angles. Not so much his coloring. Two questions:

You missed the point on where she was from. Each family member said she was from somewhere else (Uruguay, Ecuador, Paraguay, etc.). I.e., they don't know anything about her and don't care like they profess to.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  You missed the point on where she was from. Each family member said she was from somewhere else (Uruguay, Ecuador, Paraguay, etc.). I.e., they don't know anything about her and don't care like they profess to.
                  That was one of the best gags in the movie.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    That was one of the best gags in the movie.
                    Agreed
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• (on an ACTUALLY side note that has nothing to do with the movie- not one thing about a Brazil-US path would be easier than one from Uruguay; we are actually pretty stiff with Brazilians. Uruguay is a little better- they even had visa waiver privileges (they could come to the US with just a Uruguayan passport) up until 2003).
                      Last edited by Commando; 01-21-2020, 10:25 AM.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                        I read about that film for a class in college but never did watch. How emotionally demanding is it?
                        Not at all really. It's all very surreal -- basically the first-person perspective of a guy wandering through the museum. He walks for a while with a diplomat with a lot of disdain for Russian culture and they see various characters from Russian history, as if they're all unstuck in time. Nothing is really explained; there's no plot to speak of. Just an experience. Puts a lot of viewers to sleep, but can be very cool if you're up for it.

Comment

• Saw 1917 last night. I really liked it aside from the motion sickness it gave me watching it on a giant screen.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

• I have been listening to Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History - Blueprint for Armageddon podcast episodes again. It should be a good prep for this movie. I am pretty excited to see it.

Man, WW1 was just brutal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                              I have been listening to Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History - Blueprint for Armageddon podcast episodes again. It should be a good prep for this movie. I am pretty excited to see it.

Man, WW1 was just brutal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I listened to that a couple summers ago. Really brutal.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                                Interesting video about the continuous take in 1917

The way that 1917 was filmed is pretty cool. It is really hard to tell that it was not taken in one shot.

There is, however, something that really bugs me about 1917 in its plot:

Spoiler for Spoiler:
                                Why didn't they just fly over and drop the message out of one of those bi-planes? That seems like it would be a lot easier.
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X