Page 205 of 205 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205
Results 6,121 to 6,141 of 6141

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

  1. #6121
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    He did it in June 2017. Probably a little early to say there won't be others.
    Wasnt it in 2012?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  2. #6122
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    8,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    He did it in June 2017. Probably a little early to say there won't be others.
    Although the first ascent took five days, most ascents now are accomplished in two. The record for the fastest ascent of the route is 1:22 and was set during a solo ascent in late May 2012 by Alex Honnold, who had previously recorded the first free solo ascent in 2008.[3] This improved on a longstanding record of 1:53 set in October 1999 by Jim Herson and Hans Florine.[4]

    1:22 up that wall is pretty insane.
    Last edited by RC Vikings; 03-05-2019 at 03:18 PM.

  3. #6123
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Wasnt it in 2012?
    He climbed Half Dome in 2012. The climb documented in Free Solo was up El Cap and it was in 2017.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  4. #6124
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    He climbed Half Dome in 2012. The climb documented in Free Solo was up El Cap and it was in 2017.
    Right. RC's point was if people will follow him then we should see others having done half dome since 2012, and he didn't find any others. If there haven't been others doing half dome in the last 7 years, then maybe JL is correct that there wont be others trying El Cap.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  5. #6125
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Right. RC's point was if people will follow him then we should see others having done half dome since 2012, and he didn't find any others. If there haven't been others doing half dome in the last 7 years, then maybe JL is correct that there wont be others trying El Cap.
    Gotcha. My mistake.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  6. #6126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Why isn't the music the film? No one would make that film without the music. The music is the point as much as anything. There were a lot of guys that accepted they were gay and had to deal with the AIDS crisis (such as one of my best friends from HS), but they aren't making movies about them very often. It's about more than the music, to be sure, but the music is integral to the film.
    I didn't see DH reference the AIDS crisis. But since you did, the scene where Mercury visits a clinic is done very well. The loneliness that both Mercury and the unnamed patient portray is haunting. What a terrible time to have AIDS back then.

  7. #6127
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I didn't see DH reference the AIDS crisis. But since you did, the scene where Mercury visits a clinic is done very well. The loneliness that both Mercury and the unnamed patient portray is haunting. What a terrible time to have AIDS back then.
    If you take the music out of it, what else is left, in terms of drama, but a guy accepting himself as gay and then grappling with AIDS?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  8. #6128
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    48,322

    Default

    You know, if you removed the climbing from Free Solo, I bet it would be pretty boring!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  9. #6129

    Default

    Disagree.
    The guy eating food with a spatula was pretty interesting.
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

  10. #6130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Leaving Neverland, the devastating charges of molestation by two young boys (now men) against Michael Jackson. I believe them. Amazing how similar this movie is to Abducted in Plain Sight. Michael Jackson seduced the parents of his victims just like “Bee” seduced his victim’s parents. Even now, one of the mothers says that she had a special relationship with MJ separate from her sons relationship with Michael.

    amazing the Michael Jackson fans who denounce these men as opportunists, and it is true they are suing the estate. But they still present compelling cases, and who knows how children react to being groomed and victimized. Who says what the timetable should be for coming to terms with abuse.
    Watched this last night. Both extremely disturbing and also fascinating.
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

    Woot

    I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

  11. #6131
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
    Watched this last night. Both extremely disturbing and also fascinating.
    Just finished it today. That guy molested the shit out of some kids. Not that it wasn't obvious from the known facts in the matter- a grown up sleeping in the same bed with kids? I think a lot of us said, "well, he was deprived of his childhood and had a messed up relationship with his dad and..." Yeah, it was obvious. Cochran did a bang-up job on his defense, though. Gotta hand it to him.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  12. #6132
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,667

    Default

    The follow up with Oprah was also fascinating. Oprah said in her career she's done like, 200+ shows on child sexual abuse, and yet Americans still persist in thinking that the child victim is an unwilling participant during the act, and overpowered or tied up and raped. Oprah said that it is more common for Child sexual abuse to involve child seduction or grooming seduction. Like the boys with Michael Jackson-- they would say they weren't forced, they were in love with Michael, they would do anything for him, it wasn't wrong because Michael was a god, and to some extent, it felt good to be his secret lover. Oprah said that any child predator who is any good makes sure to make the child complicit by making the child feel good about the act. This is why child victims feel guilt, and feel that they are responsible for the abuse, and wonder if they secretly love it. It was not until both MJ victims had their own sons, and saw how innocent their sons were at the age their abuse started, that they realize how powerless they were against a determined predator. Wade Robson said that when his son was 7, he kept asking his wife to search for small signs that he was secretly a pedophile, or was attracted to his son-- he wondered this because he reasoned that he must be homosexual to like the acts he did with MJ.

    Another interesting note is that both victims are still ambivalent toward Michael Jackson. They still love him, and they see good things about him, and one of them feels guilt that he is besmirching MJ's name. But they both hate their mothers, who were groomed and seduced as well. They just think that the role of mother should trump any grooming, or cars or houses or luxury vacation incentives offered by MJ.
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 03-07-2019 at 11:21 AM.

  13. #6133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    The follow up with Oprah was also fascinating. Oprah said in her career she's done like, 200+ shows on child sexual abuse, and yet Americans still persist in thinking that the child victim is an unwilling participant during the act, and overpowered or tied up and raped. Oprah said that it is more common for Child sexual abuse to involve child seduction or grooming seduction. Like the boys with Michael Jackson-- they would say they weren't forced, they were in love with Michael, they would do anything for him, it wasn't wrong because Michael was a god, and to some extent, it felt good to be his secret lover. Oprah said that any child predator who is any good makes sure to make the child complicit by making the child feel good about the act. This is why child victims feel guilt, and feel that they are responsible for the abuse, and wonder if they secretly love it. It was not until both MJ victims had their own sons, and saw how innocent their sons were at the age their abuse started, that they realize how powerless they were against a determined predator. Wade Robson said that when his son was 7, he kept asking his wife to search for small signs that he was secretly a pedophile, or was attracted to his son-- he wondered this because he reasoned that he must be homosexual to like the acts he did with MJ.

    Another interesting note is that both victims are still ambivalent toward Michael Jackson. They still love him, and they see good things about him, and one of them feels guilt that he is besmirching MJ's name. But they both hate their mothers, who were groomed and seduced as well. They just think that the role of mother should trump any grooming, or cars or houses or luxury vacation incentives offered by MJ.
    I found this to be more interesting:

    In 2011, Robson approached John Branca, co-executor of the Michael Jackson Estate, about directing the new Michael Jackson/Cirque du Soleil production, ONE. Robson admitted he wanted the job “badly,” but the Estate ultimately chose someone else for the position.
    In 2012, Robson had a nervous breakdown, triggered, he said, by an obsessive quest for success. His career, in his own words, began to “crumble.”
    That same year, with Robson’s career, finances, and marriage in peril, he began shopping a book that claimed he was sexually abused by Michael Jackson. No publisher picked it up.
    In 2013, Robson filed a $1.5 billion dollar civil lawsuit/creditor’s claim, along with James Safechuck, who also spent time with Jackson in the late ‘80s. Safechuck claimed he only realized he may have been abused when Robson filed his lawsuit. That lawsuit was dismissed by a probate court in 2017.
    In 2019, the Sundance Film Festival premiered a documentary based entirely on Robson and Safechuck's allegations. While the documentary is obviously emotionally disturbing given the content, it presents no new evidence or witnesses. The film's director, Dan Reed, acknowledged not wanting to interview other key figures because it might complicate or compromise the story he wanted to tell.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/joevoge.../#52f4fbbf640f
    *Banned*

  14. #6134
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,547

    Default

    Nah- the doc is definitely more interesting.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  15. #6135
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,547

    Default




    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  16. #6136
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,667

    Default

    Robson's career began to crumble because he walked away from it, due to his nervous breakdowns. He quit directing a movie he was in the middle of. He was never in danger of not being successful- the guy has two emmys. He could get work any time he wants to work. Safechuck is the unsuccessful one.

    Joey Fatone was interviewed and said he doubts Robson was raped because Robson is clearly in love with Jackson and for many years worshipped Jackson, and this lack of hatred is evidence that Jackson didn't abuse him. Or at least that Robson wasn't abused against his will.

  17. #6137
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,526

    Default

    Shoplifters. Winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. Japanese film (English subtitles) about a “family” who makes ends meet by petty theft. My wife chose it and I was somewhat reluctant to watch but really enjoyed the story and character development.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  18. #6138

    Default

    I watched Free Solo last night; I really enjoyed it but was on the edge of my seat even though I'd already read here that he was successful. Yosemite is incredible.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  19. #6139
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Joey Fatone was interviewed and said he doubts Robson was raped because Robson is clearly in love with Jackson and for many years worshipped Jackson, and this lack of hatred is evidence that Jackson didn't abuse him. Or at least that Robson wasn't abused against his will.
    OMG Joey Fatone's a moron. Oh so the 7-year old was down so it wasn't abuse. I now know that 7-year olds are capable of sexual consent. Got it!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  20. #6140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    I found this to be more interesting:



    https://www.forbes.com/sites/joevoge.../#52f4fbbf640f
    From Joe's article

    However, since I was not there, I ultimately cannot speak to Wade Robson and James Safechuck's experiences.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

  21. #6141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post



    hilarious follow on IG and twitter
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •