The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
    Broadway plays don't have soundtracks. They have cast recordings; so there is an error in your code somewhere, but at least you did sound mostly like a human.
    You make a good argument, and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm AI as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
      Rampage. It was as terrible as you might imagine.
      Ugh, why would you even?

And moviepass is not an answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        Ugh, why would you even?

Moviepass is an answer!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
          Ugh, why would you even?

It almost makes me question how effectively he would use a year of unlimited first-class airline tickets. Hypothetically speaking.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

It almost makes me question how effectively he would use a year of unlimited first-class airline tickets. Hypothetically speaking.
            Starts again next January (albeit, now it's only 6 months at a time instead of 1 year)

Comment

• Chappaquiddick was a good, if not great, retelling of the Ted Kennedy's accident with Mary Jo Kopechne. It was interesting to see how his inner circle scrambled to save his reputation, and served as a reminder that morally compromised leaders are often stupider than their fixers. I remember those events, which occurred contemporaneously with the first steps on the moon, so there wasn't a lot new here, but it was still instructive and depressing. At the end of the movie brief interviews with Massachusetts voters showed nearly all of them still supporting Ted, blowing off his negligent homicide (and cover-up) as no big deal. Trump is accused of things much less serious (at least so far!), but I was still reminded of how evangelicals so easily overlook his impressive body of work with respect to philandering and deviousness.

Back to the movie: a solid B.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                Moviepass is an answer!

Moviepass is amazing. Unlimited first class tickets? I will never know.
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Rampage-- I have to admit I was super tired and fell asleep, but the movie had me laughing pretty good at how they were able to shoehorn the non-plot of the old arcade game into a feature length movie. Made even more amusing by the Rock and Negan stopping in.
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                    Yeah, your example reinforces my point, so thanks (unless your hiding a lot in the et al). It's certainly true that Wicked is not as well structured (the the length of the source material makes that difficult) as the classics of the golden age .
                    Um, yeah, that was kind of my point. Above you say that TGS is teh sux because of it's messy plot, then you turn around and say the Wicked is not teh sux because of its messy plot. And THAT proves your point! lol. People don't attend musical theater for plot and char dev. They attend for the joy (or the sorrow) of the song and the dance.

Mr. Bennett: Tell me, Mr. Barnum, does it bother you that everything you're selling is fake?
                    P.T. Barnum: Do these smiles seem fake? It doesn't matter where they come from. The joy is real.
                    Mr. Bennett: So you are a philanthropist?
                    P.T. Barnum: Well, hyperbole isn't the worst crime. Men suffer more from imagining too little than too much.
                    Mr. Bennett: The creed of a true fraud.
                    P.T. Barnum: Mr Bennett, when was the last time you smiled? Or had a good laugh? A real laugh.
                    [pause]
                    A theater critic who can't find joy in the theater. Now who is the fraud?
                    BTW... Wicked was savaged by the critics upon release (like TGS) but really came into its own because it had "legs", e.g. profound audience support.
                    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                      Perhaps you recalled that we don't attend musical theater for the "character development and plotting"?
                      I thought of this last night as we attended Hamilton and had a good laugh.

Walter's humor is underrated.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                        Rampage-- I have to admit I was super tired and fell asleep, but the movie had me laughing pretty good at how they were able to shoehorn the non-plot of the old arcade game into a feature length movie. Made even more amusing by the Rock and Negan stopping in.
                        I'm gonna pass on that one. I avoid all movies The Rock is in.

I did see Beirut and thought it was a solid thriller.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                          I'm gonna pass on that one. I avoid all movies The Rock is in.

I did see Beirut and thought it was a solid thriller.
                          Loosely based on events of that time but forcing to remember the details of the Buckley kidnapping.
                          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Isle of Dogs. (btw, the translation is labeled incorrectly - the kanji say "dog island", but I digress)

Well worth the price of admission. Stylish and mesmerizing. But it lacks the charm of Fantastic Mr. Fox.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Watched Game Over, Man! on Netflix tonight. I didn't look at the reviews before I watched and it has gotten panned by critics so far. I laughed through the whole thing though. It stars the main guys in Workaholics (on Comedy Central). I have only seen that show once, but I like that kind of humor. The movie was very, very vulgar with a lot of gory violence and an extended scene where Adam Devine goes full frontal (it is hilarious). It was also about 30 minutes too long. I saw one review call it a parody of Die Hard, but I've never seen Die Hard so I don't know if it is accurate.

Definitely would not recommend it for everyone, but if you like some trashy humor and can handle a lot of blood and some graphic male nudity, you might find this funny.
                              Last edited by UVACoug; 04-15-2018, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Isle of Dogs. (btw, the translation is labeled incorrectly - the kanji say "dog island", but I digress)

Well worth the price of admission. Stylish and mesmerizing. But it lacks the charm of Fantastic Mr. Fox.
                                I think it's a play on words.

Comment

Working...
                                X