Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117
Results 3,481 to 3,493 of 3493

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    I watched the pilot for The Cosmopolitans and definitely enjoyed it. The ending felt a little out of place, but I read that it was supposed to be an hour pilot and then either he or someone else didn't like the second half so it got chopped down to a half hour.
    It seemed so forced to me, but then again I am not familiar with his style.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    It seemed so forced to me, but then again I am not familiar with his style.
    I can see that. Reactions to Stillman somewhat remind me of those to Wes Anderson -- some people enjoy his work while others find it forced or too artificial. I enjoy both.

Quote Originally Posted by Armenag View Post
    Any Whit Stillman fans? I finally saw Barcelona the other night. I liked it, though it wasn't amazing. Last of his that I hadn't seen. I would rank his movies:

1. Metropolitan
    2. Barcelona
    3. Last Days of Disco
    4. Damsels in Distress

His pilot for The Cosmopolitans is up as one of those vote-to-see-the-series-commissioned pilots on Amazon. I thought it was pretty good and would definitely watch the series if made. I'm glad it seems good because my ranking of his movies is also the order in which he made them, which might otherwise be a bad sign.
    Of those I think I've only seen Barcelona. I was relatively young and it came highly recommended by the video store attendant. I remember it being disjointed, but I enjoyed the running joke about his shaving methodology.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Chef - fun but not much plot. The movie could have been more interesting if they just focused on the food and kitchen/owner relationship. Was definitely worth the 1.5 to watch.

The Fault in our Stars - good movie but I liked it less than the reviews. The whole relationship was kind of creepy, almost too creepy for me. I also still don't quite get the whole thing with the author guy, but maybe I need to watch it again to get it, but I probably won't.

127 Hours - I've seen this one before but wanted to see it again. I love Franco in this film as he does an outstanding job. I still can't watch the climax and always skip past most of the arm cutting part.

The Amazing Spider-Man - meh, lame movie and horrible effects on the lizard guy. Not worth the time to watch it.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - better than the first. The script seems more like the comics with some lame jokes and comicy dialogue. The thing hat bugged me the most was Harry when he turns into the Green Goblin as his character was horribly done

The Man Who Knee too Little - I love Bill Murray and this certainly isn't his best work, but it's a fun movie for a cheap couple laughs.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Armenag View Post
    I can see that. Reactions to Stillman somewhat remind me of those to Wes Anderson -- some people enjoy his work while others find it forced or too artificial. I enjoy both.
    I have always been a Whit Stillman fan. I've not seen Damsels in Distress, I'll have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Chef - fun but not much plot. The movie could have been more interesting if they just focused on the food and kitchen/owner relationship. Was definitely worth the 1.5 to watch.
    I enjoyed Chef. Not a lot going on but a nice enough movie.

X-Men: Days of Future Past - generally a whole lot of mediocrity other than the scene where the super fast kid (who would apparently go on to be almost completely forgotten by the writers) takes care of the guards in the kitchen. Very clever and well done scene. Tons of logical gaps in the movie, but the most bizarre was the fact Trask couldn't convince the government that mutants were a threat until a couple attacked some North Vietnamese military leaders. Despite the government's professed cause for having the Eric guy locked up (under the Pentagon, of course, because where else?). Did I miss something there?

Captain America 2 - I liked it better than the first, but it was still mediocre. Why is it that the writers like to bring every dead character back except the one played by Stanley Tucci? As with most of his movies, I thought he was the best part of the first film. Bring him back, not these other bores.

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post

The Fault in our Stars - good movie but I liked it less than the reviews. The whole relationship was kind of creepy, almost too creepy for me. I also still don't quite get the whole thing with the author guy, but maybe I need to watch it again to get it, but I probably won't.

127 Hours - I've seen this one before but wanted to see it again. I love Franco in this film as he does an outstanding job. I still can't watch the climax and always skip past most of the arm cutting part.

The Amazing Spider-Man - meh, lame movie and horrible effects on the lizard guy. Not worth the time to watch it.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - better than the first. The script seems more like the comics with some lame jokes and comicy dialogue. The thing hat bugged me the most was Harry when he turns into the Green Goblin as his character was horribly done

The Man Who Knee too Little - I love Bill Murray and this certainly isn't his best work, but it's a fun movie for a cheap couple laughs.
    So you're saying it's not a real knee slapper?
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

Under the Skin

Can't say I understood everything about it, but I liked it in that "enjoyed it for the experience" sort of way. Reminded me to various degrees of recent stuff like The Tree of Life/Holy Motors/Upstream color, and if you like those movies, I can't promise you'll like this, but you'll at least make it through it. ha. But at any rate, similar sort of experimental film that is concerned less with plot and character than theme. Though I will say I found the themes even more opaque than something like the Tree of Life.

Apparently it is based on a book, but the book is much more deliberate in spelling out what is going on. I listened to an interview with the director yesterday, and he said that when he started writing the screenplay, he realized he was more interested in making a movie about one particular character than the book itself. So he kind of used the book more as an inspiration than anything and is intentionally more vague about the details of what is going on.

Also, I always envisioned seeing ScarJo naked as being more spectacular. Too bad they didn't make this movie 7 years ago.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Douger View Post
    We did watch an indie film called "about Time" with Rachel McAdams. We really liked it.
    We watched this the other night. It doesn't completely hold together (see, e.g., pretty much any story featuring time travel) but a very well done movie. Not a life changer necessarily, but inspiring in that it made me want to evaluate and improve relationships in my life. Great flick to watch with your spouse.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
    We watched this the other night. It doesn't completely hold together (see, e.g., pretty much any story featuring time travel) but a very well done movie. Not a life changer necessarily, but inspiring in that it made me want to evaluate and improve relationships in my life. Great flick to watch with your spouse.
    It made me want to go back and just keep having adult relations on the first date over and over. Maybe I missed he point.

Edit: he would have hooked up with the blonde American and then just gone back to before it happened also. #sjbh
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Sometimes I'm able to watch a movie without any idea what it's about, not even having seen a trailer or read the description. And sometimes it turns out to be more fun that way. Such was the case with Locke, though 'fun' is hardly an appropriate adjective in this case.
    I am not an eloquent reviewer of films, so I'll just say that a) I was impacted by the story, the acting, and the way it's all presented and b) having only seen Tom Hardy in Warrior and Batman, wow that guy can act. Worth checking out.

Draft Day -
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Getaway - (Ethan Hawke, Selena Gomez, Jon Voigt) ridiculous plot, nonstop nonsensical chase scenes and cop cars crashing, poor acting (with an admittedly weak script)

Man of Steel - unique take on the "alien" aspect of Superman, way over-the-top CGI, too long

42 - look at Jackie Robinson historic first season with the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Grudge Match - Sly Stallone and Robert De Niro in a geriatric boxing match. Kind of fun.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96