The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    Very interested in this movie. How appropriate would it be for an awkward middle schooler to see on a daddy daughter date?
    Frankly, I probably wouldn't take her. The R-rating (maybe 3-4 eff bombs) wouldn't have been enough to deter me from taking a kid, but there were a couple of cringeworthy scenes, including one where she looks up online instructions for how to perform a blow job, apparently not knowing just what that meant. She eventually recoils in shock, but it was a little uncomfortable watching with the missus, and would have been more so, I suspect, with a daughter.

This isn't as funny or as lighthearted as Sixteen Candles, but it's more authentic and, perhaps, painful (though ultimately satisfying).

One scene I'd gladly pay to see again:
    Spoiler for Not a big deal, put should probably not read if you're going to see the movie)::

After a humiliating experience with an older kid (which turns out not be be as horrible as the audience is set up to anticipate--many in the theater groaned audibly in fear of what was about to happen), at home Kayla opens up to her dad, observing how if she were his age and had a daughter like her, she'd be pretty disappointed having such a loser for a kid. He reacts as any dad would, but even I was wondering at first if his reaction was a little insincere, since she was at times pretty annoying. But he explains how, after the wife/mom left when Kayla was only a baby, he felt so lost and worried about how he would be able to raise Kayla. And then over the ensuing years he was genuinely amazed at how strong and resilient she had become, and watching her grow made him happy and thankful beyond words, etc. The scene ends in an embrace even I wanted in on.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      Frankly, I probably wouldn't take her. The R-rating (maybe 3-4 eff bombs) wouldn't have been enough to deter me from taking a kid, but there were a couple of cringeworthy scenes, including one where she looks up online instructions for how to perform a blow job, apparently not knowing just what that meant. She eventually recoils in shock, but it was a little uncomfortable watching with the missus, and would have been more so, I suspect, with a daughter.

This isn't as funny or as lighthearted as Sixteen Candles, but it's more authentic and, perhaps, painful (though ultimately satisfying).

One scene I'd gladly pay to see again:
      Spoiler for Not a big deal, put should probably not read if you're going to see the movie)::

After a humiliating experience with an older kid (which turns out not be be as horrible as the audience is set up to anticipate--many in the theater groaned audibly in fear of what was about to happen), at home Kayla opens up to her dad, observing how if she were his age and had a daughter like her, she'd be pretty disappointed having such a loser for a kid. He reacts as any dad would, but even I was wondering at first if his reaction was a little insincere, since she was at times pretty annoying. But he explains how, after the wife/mom left when Kayla was only a baby, he felt so lost and worried about how he would be able to raise Kayla. And then over the ensuing years he was genuinely amazed at how strong and resilient she had become, and watching her grow made him happy and thankful beyond words, etc. The scene ends in an embrace even I wanted in on.
      Yeah. I read about that and the backseat scene. Maybe we'll go see Christopher Robin instead lol.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

• The "last movie I saw" thread

Last week I found myself a bachelor and really wanting to see a movie. Only the two movies I really wanted to see were only playing across town, and I couldn’t bring myself to make the trek. So I settled for The First Purge. Meh. I actually think I would have really enjoyed it, but the political propaganda was way too heavy and way too on the nose.

I haven’t seen any of the other movies in the franchise, so perhaps they are all just as politically vocal. I’m actually tempted to rent them and find out.

Trump conspiracists like frank ryan and Blue K would love this movie, btw.

Also, I’m including an image of the movie poster so that god-awful diseased heart image Commando posted will stop popping up on Tapatalk.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Greater love hath no husband than this, that he taketh his wife to Mamma Mia 2. It was well-produced, achieving superbly what I'd guess were its prime objectives, and most of the audience burst into enthusiastic applause at the end.

But man, I dislike ABBA, and have since they debuted while I was still a student. Combining the worst of Disco, Bubble Gum Rock, and Euro Pop, they were unappealing then, as they remain for me. But my wife and friends were happy, and everyone in the movie seemed to be having a fun time, so my role as elitist curmudgeon continues. This is one movie where everyone's expectations will be met. Ours certainly were. And my wife is appreciative, so winners all around.
          We were split on which to see MM2 or Equalizer2. Unfortunately, the tiebreaker was Rotten Tomatoes, which I knew would likely cause me to lose. My wife had a great time and I tagged along. She enjoyed herself which is always great to see. I am so blissfully ignorant of ABBA that I didn't even know which of the songs were added to the Recycled version (were they all in the original?). And no, we still don't know who the genetic father is.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Won't you be my Neighbor: the expected outpouring of tears did not happen, but there was some misting over. I grew up with Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. I really didn't know much about him or the history of the show. I find a lot of documentaries to be uneven, and I thought this was also. But I'm glad I went. Mrs. NWC grew up with "Mr. Dress Up", Canada's counterpart to MRN, and really never watched it. But she still really liked the movie. B.

Ant Man and the Wasp. As in the first movie, Michael Pena saved the movie. I wasn't mad at all that they did the exact same voice-over shtick. Good light-hearted fun. Didn't need to see it in the theater, but I wasn't disappointed either. B.

Incredibles 2. Really enjoyed it. It did not at all feel like a 'reach' of a sequel. It was a solid story and exists well on its own. Not as good of a Pixar sequel as Toy Story 2, but much better than Finding Dory. We shall not mention Cars 2. Solid B+.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

Greater love hath no husband than this, that he taketh his wife to Mamma Mia 2. It was well-produced, achieving superbly what I'd guess were its prime objectives, and most of the audience burst into enthusiastic applause at the end.

But man, I dislike ABBA, and have since they debuted while I was still a student. Combining the worst of Disco, Bubble Gum Rock, and Euro Pop, they were unappealing then, as they remain for me. But my wife and friends were happy, and everyone in the movie seemed to be having a fun time, so my role as elitist curmudgeon continues. This is one movie where everyone's expectations will be met. Ours certainly were. And my wife is appreciative, so winners all around.
              Right there with you, brother. I can't stand ABBA. I hated them as a teenager. I have tried to learn to like their music, but I just can't.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

Ant Man and the Wasp. As in the first movie, Michael Pena saved the movie. I wasn't mad at all that they did the exact same voice-over shtick. Good light-hearted fun. Didn't need to see it in the theater, but I wasn't disappointed either. B.
                I went on MoviePass which, as long as you ignore surge pricing, lets you see lots of movies you wouldn't otherwise want to pay for, guilt free. It also ties into the Infinity Wars saga. Did you stay for the second outtake?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                  I went on MoviePass which, as long as you ignore surge pricing, lets you see lots of movies you wouldn't otherwise want to pay for, guilt free. It also ties into the Infinity Wars saga. Did you stay for the second outtake?
                  I did . My daughter loves Marvel movies, so we're required to stay until the very end. The second very end, in this case.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                    I did . My daughter loves Marvel movies, so we're required to stay until the very end. The second very end, in this case.
                    At the end of these films, I have started googling to see if and how many extra inserted trailers there are. One time, I waited and there was nothing. I hate the credits as it is and that was really a waste of time.

Comment

• Teen Titans was easily better than 90% of superhero movies — glad I took the kids.

Comment

• MI6 is getting great reviews. I’m going next weekend.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          MI6 is getting great reviews. I’m going next weekend.
                          I'm pretty sure I saw the first one. I'm good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Also, I’m including an image of the movie poster so that god-awful diseased heart image Commando posted will stop popping up on Tapatalk.

An improvement. But not by much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Sorry, guys. I don't know how my img posts affect your tapatalk lifestyle. In any case, please accept my most sincere apologies:

"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Mission Impossible: Fallout: Loved it. One of the best in the series. Might be the last one where Cruise can fool everyone thinking he isn't in his mid 50's. If it is, he fooled me. A-minus.
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X