No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coco. Loved it. How could you not love it?

Rewatched both Godfather I and Godfather II recently. I consider both to be masterpieces. Incredible how well they hold up after so many years. The ending to GFII is so perfect. Michael Corleone sitting and staring at the waters of Lake Tahoe, deep sadness in his face - on top of the world, but lost everything to get there.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
      some people here are heartless losers who didn’t like it. which reminds me, gotta update my shitlist.
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Still have not seen it. I will let you know if I belong on the list or not.
      Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      I think I know JL well enough to safely predict that he will not be on the list.
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Coco. Loved it. How could you not love it?
      Swish!
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
        A Quiet Place. Went in only knowing it had a 96% RT score. Loved it. Maybe the best movie I’ve seen in the last 5 years (or longer).
        Best I've seen in the last five days for sure. Maybe five weeks. A solid IMDB 7.2 type film.

Comment

• Ready Player One. I took my 13-year-old son. We both enjoyed it. Neither of us has read the book. Now I have to go back in the thread and see what readers of the book were griping about.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            Best I've seen in the last five days for sure. Maybe five weeks. A solid IMDB 7.2 type film.
            Just saw it last night. I agree, it’s a solid film. Krasinski did really well with that concept.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              Swish!
              I watched on my flight and was surprised at its quality. It also provided a feeling for the cultural meaning of the day of the dead in Latin cultures.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                Swish!
                We bought Coco when it released and watched it as a family the other weekend. I was blown away. Easily became my favorite Pixar movie. The music, the story, loved it. I even shed a tear. It really resonated with me and stirred memories of my mission. My 6 year old literally bawled at parts of it. It led to a nice discussion about the plan of salvation and eternal families afterward.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

• Lady Bird. Meh. Not bad, but not great.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                    We bought Coco when it released and watched it as a family the other weekend. I was blown away. Easily became my favorite Pixar movie. The music, the story, loved it. I even shed a tear. It really resonated with me and stirred memories of my mission. My 6 year old literally bawled at parts of it. It led to a nice discussion about the plan of salvation and eternal families afterward.
                    Just one tear, huh? You are more stoic than I.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                      Just one tear, huh? You are more stoic than I.
                      lol I was gonna say- single tear rolling down your cheek? You POS!
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                        lol I was gonna say- single tear rolling down your cheek? You POS!
                        How many are required to avoid OG's SL?
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                          A Quiet Place. Went in only knowing it had a 96% RT score. Loved it. Maybe the best movie I’ve seen in the last 5 years (or longer).
                          Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                          Yeah, we saw it last night as well. I thought it was great. The build up was slow the first half hour or so, but after that it was very intense.

I thought the ending was perfect, although some disagree
                          Nice little flick. Made a dad/daughter date out of it (her idea). When he dropped that axe... man, what a moment.
                          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                            Nice little flick. Made a dad/daughter date out of it (her idea). When he dropped that axe... man, what a moment.
                            Looks really good.
                            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                            "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                            "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                              The Greatest Showman is entertaining as hell. I don’t care what the critics say!

Interesting that the reaction to the movie (audiences love it, critics hate it) recapitulates the story in the movie.
                              Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                              I haven't seen it, but my sister-in-law has my children hooked on the soundtrack.
                              Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                              I've seen in 3 times, and am hooked on the soundtrack as well. It really is great.
                              Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                              Yeah, it's a musical. I would say its heritage is singin' in the rain (no, it's not as good). It's telling a period story but for the most part doesn't try to worry about historical accuracy or the historical point of view. The characters reflect 21st century sensibilities (for the most part) in the same way the characters of singin in the rain reflect the sensibilities of the 1950s rather than the 20s.

What I liked.

Lack of ironic detachment. It's a post modern form in many ways but avoids the ironic detachment of most post modernism (I think Hamilton also does this). I think the movie is better for it. It allows the movie to be quite sentimental. I think for the most part the sentimentalism works pretty well.

What I didn't?

It's quite didactic (actually it's probably better to say moralistic). Which I didn't mind but the the didactic points are pretty cliched and in so many 21st century movies.

It gets caught between the two periods in ways that bothered me. Some/Much of the dramatic tension revolves around period attitudes but almost all of the the main characters are clearly reflecting 21st century attitudes. It was too much dissonance for me.

What's in between?

The lyrics/score. I don't think it rises to the level of a really good broadway score/lyrics, but it's okay/enjoyable. I thought the high school musical boy's vocal performances were surprisingly good. I actually liked them.
                              For many different reasons, everyone in our family saw this film in the theaters but not together (that is, except for myself and the wife). We same-day Prime'd the movie on disc (released yesterday) and watched it tonight all together as a family. Fantastic feel-good light-hearted movie with a simple message about love, togetherness, and family. The soundtrack is peppy, happy, up-tempo, and catchy. Don't overthink this one like pelagius did (even though he admitted he enjoyed it). I should have seen it as many times or more in the theaters like Tick did, just to vote with my dollars and get more movies like this one made in the future (and less superhero movies).

Do not watch this movie at home UNLESS YOU HAVE A DECENT SOUND SYSTEM hooked up to your 70-something-inch UHD 4k TV. Seriously. You will ruin your first-time experience with this movie by listening to it on a bullshit soundbar and you may never forgive yourself once you hear it on a system that can rumble your sofa. Go to a friend's house that appreciates good audio and watch it there... even if you have to watch it on a 10yo 60-inch plasma.
                              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                                For many different reasons, everyone in our family saw this film in the theaters but not together (that is, except for myself and the wife). We same-day Prime'd the movie on disc (released yesterday) and watched it tonight all together as a family. Fantastic feel-good light-hearted movie with a simple message about love, togetherness, and family. The soundtrack is peppy, happy, up-tempo, and catchy. Don't overthink this one like pelagius did (even though he admitted he enjoyed it). I should have seen it as many times or more in the theaters like Tick did, just to vote with my dollars and get more movies like this one made in the future (and less superhero movies).

Do not watch this movie at home UNLESS YOU HAVE A DECENT SOUND SYSTEM hooked up to your 70-something-inch UHD 4k TV. Seriously. You will ruin your first-time experience with this movie by listening to it on a bullshit soundbar and you may never forgive yourself once you hear it on a system that can rumble your sofa. Go to a friend's house that appreciates good audio and watch it there... even if you have to watch it on a 10yo 60-inch plasma.
                                My 5.1 system works pretty well, but the display is just a 50" plasma that's 5 or 6 years old. Should I skip this movie?
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X