Page 112 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112
Results 3,331 to 3,341 of 3341

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

Stuck in Love - I liked Kristen Bell's character the best.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Watched The Best of Youth on Netflix the other day. Best movie I've seen in ages. It's long (6 hours), but well worth the time and never dull. Follows two Italian brothers from something like 1960 to 2000. It manages to steer clear of the cliche and standard note-hitting of similar movies and actually could have been longer. I highly recommend it.

Emperor - wish they wouldn't have spent so much time on the side love story (especially with obviously older actors portraying college students). Otherwise it was an interesting look into post - war Japan.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Default The "last movie I saw" thread

Quote Originally Posted by UVACoug View Post
    Saw Snowpiercer this afternoon. Very interesting, stylized sci-fi action movie from Bong Joon-Ho. Quite a bit of bloody violence, for those that are squeamish, but it is cool to look at and pretty entertaining. Not sure there is much depth to the allegory of the film, and the ending doesn't really make much sense, but I would recommend it--for Tilda Swinton's performance, if nothing else.
    I've heard nothing but great things about this. I've been tempted to watch via iTunes, but I think I'll hold out until I can get to the theater.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Lucy. A big fat 'meh'. Scarlett Johansson does a decent job with what she's given. Morgan Freeman does what he usually does. But the film is all over the place. You just can't expect me to believe if we have access to 100% of our cerebral cortex we have power over space and time, without 'logically' building up to that or at least explaining why.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Lucy. A big fat 'meh'. Scarlett Johansson does a decent job with what she's given. Morgan Freeman does what he usually does. But the film is all over the place. You just can't expect me to believe if we have access to 100% of our cerebral cortex we have power over space and time, without 'logically' building up to that or at least explaining why.
    That crap about not having access to all our brain is a canard anyway.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Anybody planning on seeing the new releases for next week?

Hercules, Lucy, the Kill Team, A Most Wanted Man, Cannibal or Ironclad: Battle for Blood?
    Saw hercules today .... decent and fun
    Saw Lucy today too I was entertained
    Saw most wanted man yesterday... i liked it but left a little "yeah that's Bullshit it would never be like that"
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    That crap about not having access to all our brain is a canard anyway.
    Sure. But if we're going to go along with the myth and make me suspend belief, you'd better spend some time building up a good story. Lucy didn't do that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by UVACoug View Post
    Saw Snowpiercer this afternoon. Very interesting, stylized sci-fi action movie from Bong Joon-Ho. Quite a bit of bloody violence, for those that are squeamish, but it is cool to look at and pretty entertaining. Not sure there is much depth to the allegory of the film, and the ending doesn't really make much sense, but I would recommend it--for Tilda Swinton's performance, if nothing else.
    Really enjoyed Snowpiercer. I wasn't sure about the first half, which was mostly planning and staging a revolt. Like you say, pretty bloody in some scenes. But my barometer is Mrs. NWC. If she mentions something, it's too much. She didn't say anything.

The second half was very intense and really well-acted. I liked the way some of the main characters resolved some interesting plot twists. I'm not sure if the social class allegory was that profound, but I thought it was very well done. All in all, a smart film that keeps you interested. I recommend it.

Spoiler for Show ending:
    For me, I loved the way Ed Harris ended the film a la 'The Truman Show'. I'm not sure if that was intentional, but I liked it.

Last week on a long flight back from Europe I watched two movies, "Prisoners" and "The Invisible Woman." "Prisoners" is the kind of suspense/whodunit (with plenty of plot intricacies) that I tend to like a lot and it hooked me pretty early on, so I stuck with it 'til the end. It is quite long and IMO the filmmakers tried to do too much -- more of this movie should have been cut. Still, I liked it. If you watch it with someone you'll be talking about it for some time afterwards. The "What would you do in that situation?" discussion is the most interesting, I think.

"The Invisible Woman" is a nice little film that I suspect was a pet project for Ralph Fiennes, who starred and directed. I'd never even heard of it -- probably that's because it was only in the art houses, and not for very long. The critics pretty much liked it. It's about the relationship between Ellen (Nellie) Ternan and Charles Dickens, told mainly from the woman's point of view. Most people who know enough about Dickens to be aware of his separation from his wife and his taking Nellie as a mistress will find that angle intriguing-- I did. I recommend the movie but before watching you should spend a few minutes reading up on that part of ol' Charles' life.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery