Page 1 of 177 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

Default The "last movie I saw" thread

Let's start a running thread for movies. If you have seen something that you want to mention but don't think merits its own thread, maybe you can post it here. How about a brief review and then grade for each film? I guess the purpose of this thread is for movies that you don't think many people have seen but want to throw out there on the chance that someone else has and might have some additional commentary.

World's Greatest Dad - this was directed by Bobcat Goldthwait (yes, that Bobcat Goldthwait) and my initial interest in seeing it stemmed from the fact that it was shot in the neighborhood adjacent to ours a couple summers ago. It is a dark comedy (very dark) that in many places is crass and perverted to an uncomfortable degree. However, I did think it had some interesting ideas about way we redefine our relationships with people after their deaths, and about this whole cult of celebrity that seems to accompany such instances. Having lost a friend in HS, I could relate to a lot of what happens with the characters. As an additional bonus, you get to see Robin Williams package! 6/10.

this thread is long-overdue, BTW.

I tried to watch "Synecdoche, New York" on instant netflix the other night. I found myself surfing the web on my phone 40 minutes in, and turned it off roughly halfway through. I love Charlie Kauffman movies usually, but I failed to get into this one.

Quote Originally Posted by BoylenOver View Post
    this thread is long-overdue, BTW.

I tried to watch "Synecdoche, New York" on instant netflix the other night. I found myself surfing the web on my phone 40 minutes in, and turned it off roughly halfway through. I love Charlie Kauffman movies usually, but I failed to get into this one.
    I haven't seen this yet, but would like to at some point. I know I've mentioned this before, but I had sneak peak tix to this one and Kaufman was there for a q&a. I was really disappointed I couldn't make it.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I saw A Single Man Friday night. I didn't love the film, but Colin Firth gave a great performance as a gay man struggling with the sudden death of his partner. Set during the Cuban Missile Crisis (always a good historical backdrop), his struggle with finding any meaning to his life is smartly done, and Julianne Moore as his sympathetic but frustrated friend does a nice job as well. I suspect most here wouldn't care much for the movie, but if this kind of a story appeals to you, you will.

Mrs. PAC is gone for one week and college football season ends on Thursday, and the first movie you watch is about a gay guy struggling to find meaning in his life?

I watched 10 Things I Hate About You today after I came home from church. I had forgotten that Julia Stiles used to be a woman.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

"Better Off Dead". John Cusack is a guaranteed hit, and it's a pretty decent teen movie, but compared to some other 80's movies I enjoy, it's not as good.

Quote Originally Posted by filsdepac View Post
    Mrs. PAC is gone for one week and college football season ends on Thursday, and the first movie you watch is about a gay guy struggling to find meaning in his life?
    lol!

Philosophical Goldilocks Gidget's Avatar

I watched 'In Dreams' yesterday with Annette Benning and Robert Downey Jr. It was on the thriller HBO channel. RDJ makes a good crazy person. Thought the movie was lame, I kept thinking it could be better. I think the plot could have really been a cool standard mystery.
    I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by filsdepac View Post

pwned, and I'm man enough to admit it.

I watched one of those really poorly acted disaster movies on SyFy. Can't remember the name, but it had more cliches and predictable plots than I have ever seen in one place. The movie was the bastard child of The Day After Tomorrow, Twister and The Weather Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    pwned, and I'm man enough to admit it.
    Is that Rock Hudson in your avatar?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Last night I watched "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" with my kids. It was very different than the book. I did not love it, but it has a type of quirkiness that you don't often see in kids' movies. One of its best features is that it doesn't take itself too seriously.

****VERY MINOR SPOILERS BELOW******

On a parental note, my 16 year old son loved the movie. He had actually seen it before, and recommended it to us. This is not a young man who usually enjoys "kids'" movies, so I was somewhat surprised. For those who haven't seen it, one of the major themes is the love between a father and son. There is one father/son (the Mr. T character) where the father is constantly expressing his love for his son. The main character's father, on the other hand, is a gruff guy who only can express his feelings at the end of the movie through a kind of translator.

Anyway, I took my son's love of this movie as an affirmation that, though his teenage coolness won't allow him to say so, he still loves his Dad. That, at least, is the way I prefer to interpret it.

I watched Extract last night with my wife. I was excited to see it. I am generally a Mike Judge fan.

This show, however, was pretty boring. The laughs were few and far between. The story was a little frayed. Gene Simmons was funny though, the way he kept holding his hand when he was talking about Step's balls. That made me laugh.

5/10
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I watched Beowulf the other night. It had been on my DVR for awhile. I'm somewhat ashamed to say that I never read Beowulf in my youth, and I had to keep reminding the missus that I slept through 96% of AP English (the breastfeeding scene at the end of The Grapes of Wrath kept me interested in the class for the first week, at least).

Beowulf was interesting, to say the least. It was an animated film, but was about as realistic as animation can be. Pretty gory in the opening scenes for a non-R-rated flick, but I suppose they could get away with it because it was animation. Also, if you've ever wondered what an animated naked Angelina Jolie looks like, this is the movie for you.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Is that Rock Hudson in your avatar?
    Harrumphh. Today's honoree is Rod (The Time Machine, The Birds, etc.) Taylor. And please no word play with his given name.

Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar

All About Steve...

...meh.

Before that I was flipping back and forth between the BCS title game and Gangs of New York.
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I watched Extract last night with my wife. I was excited to see it. I am generally a Mike Judge fan.

This show, however, was pretty boring. The laughs were few and far between. The story was a little frayed. Gene Simmons was funny though, the way he kept holding his hand when he was talking about Step's balls. That made me laugh.

5/10
    I'm determined to see this just because Mila Kunis looked too hot for words in the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    I'm determined to see this just because Mila Kunis looked too hot for words in the trailer.
    500 Days of Summer. I liked it

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    She did not disappoint. However, her appearances were part of the problem. Her role in the film is confusing (sort of). And she disappears inexplicably near the end. Her character wasn't very developed. Actually, she wasn't developed at all.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Never once baby snatched landpoke's Avatar

Caught the last 3/4 of The Sheepman starring the always solid Glenn Ford, an oddly bloated Shirley MacClaine and Leslie Nielsen in one of his early roles as a heavy (which always feels weird given his later work.) A very subtle, funny movie that I need to go back and watch in its entirety. Before that Alvin and The Chipmunks, The Squeakquel. Eh, but the kids liked it.
    There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
    Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
    And Sunday comes afterwards

Has overcome great fear Green Lantern's Avatar

5/10
    This was the last movie I saw as well. My feelings were similar. I found some of the characters appealing but the tone and pace of the whole thing was so slack that I never really engaged with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BoylenOver View Post
    "Better Off Dead". John Cusack is a guaranteed hit, and it's a pretty decent teen movie, but compared to some other 80's movies I enjoy, it's not as good.
    lies

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    Last night I watched "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" with my kids. It was very different than the book. I did not love it, but it has a type of quirkiness that you don't often see in kids' movies. One of its best features is that it doesn't take itself too seriously.

****VERY MINOR SPOILERS BELOW******

On a parental note, my 16 year old son loved the movie. He had actually seen it before, and recommended it to us. This is not a young man who usually enjoys "kids'" movies, so I was somewhat surprised. For those who haven't seen it, one of the major themes is the love between a father and son. There is one father/son (the Mr. T character) where the father is constantly expressing his love for his son. The main character's father, on the other hand, is a gruff guy who only can express his feelings at the end of the movie through a kind of translator.

Anyway, I took my son's love of this movie as an affirmation that, though his teenage coolness won't allow him to say so, he still loves his Dad. That, at least, is the way I prefer to interpret it.
    I watched this on the plane ride back to Chicago last night. I would agree that it wasn't close to my favorite animated kids movie. (I really liked The Incredibles, UP, and Bolt for some perspective) The character voiced by Andy Samberg was annoying and I think he was supposed to be funny. Its too bad because I think Samberg has lots of potential as a cartoon voice.
    Last edited by Flystripper; 01-11-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

Adventureland. Well done. The lead character was most enjoyable but man Kristen Stewart-how has she managed to get the roles that she gets? She is a one trick pony if there ever was one-surly, insouciant teenager anyone? No thanks.

Besides, Lisa P. was much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    lies
    Seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Before that I was flipping back and forth between the BCS title game and Gangs of New York.

I will watch that movie whenever it is on. I know it received somewhat mixed reviews(mostly positive I think), but I find myself drawn into it everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    Adventureland. Well done. The lead character was most enjoyable but man Kristen Stewart-how has she managed to get the roles that she gets? She is a one trick pony if there ever was one-surly, insouciant teenager anyone? No thanks.

Besides, Lisa P. was much better.
    She needs to close her mouth. I swear it is always open, and it makes her look stupid. DUH!

Saw Youth in Revolt over the weekend. Didn't hate it, but didn't love it.

Michael Cera goes out on a crazy limb in his acting career by playing an awkward teen looking for love. Didn't see that coming.

Has overcome great fear Green Lantern's Avatar

Besides EXTRACT, the other movie I just saw was ANTICHRIST. Anybody else seen it? I'd love to have someone else to commiserate with about its awfulness. Ham-handed pseudo-philosophy and genital mutilation galore!

Though I do have to admit that it was the second best movie featuring a talking fox that I saw in all of 2009.