Page 197 of 200 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199 ... LastLast
Results 5,881 to 5,910 of 5993

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

  1. #5881
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    The book is fantastic. Looking forward to watching the movie.
    Prepare to be disappointed. Countless changes that were neither necessary nor better than the original story.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  2. #5882
    Senior Member dabrockster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    8,695

    Default The "last movie I saw" thread

    Has anyone seen “The Three Identical Strangers” Documentary (I did not see a post about it here)?

    I have had co-workers recommend it. That is is well done and pretty shocking.

    I am hoping PAC has it on his list to see and provide his review.

    I am sure some of you older member may have remembered this story as it was national news back in the 80’s. The three identical twins separated at birth and adopted out.

    Trailer:
    https://youtu.be/c-OF0OaK3o0




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dabrockster; 08-01-2018 at 08:17 AM.

  3. #5883

    Default

    mission impossible. i realize i'm the grumpy moviegoer and action movies by their very nature are far-fetched, but this was ridiculous. it was entertaining for the most part and action packed, but they went too far too often with with the ridiculousness and it sucked a lot of the fun out of it.

    this is the first MI i've seen - perhaps they are all so beyond preposterous.
    Last edited by smokymountainrain; 08-01-2018 at 08:11 AM.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  4. #5884
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    mission impossible. i realize i'm the grumpy moviegoer and action movies by their very nature are far-fetched, but this was ridiculous. it was entertaining for the most part and action packed, but they went too far too often with with the ridiculousness and it sucked a lot of the fun out of it.

    this is the first MI i've seen - perhaps they are all so beyond preposterous.
    Yeah...the level of ridiculousness is extremely high...but it was a fun movie.

    I will say this...they one thing that the MI movies always do well is vehicle chase scenes. That car/motorcycle chase scene was fantastic.

  5. #5885
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    19,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    mission impossible. i realize i'm the grumpy moviegoer and action movies by their very nature are far-fetched, but this was ridiculous. it was entertaining for the most part and action packed, but they went too far too often with with the ridiculousness and it sucked a lot of the fun out of it.

    this is the first MI i've seen - perhaps they are all so beyond preposterous.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    Yeah...the level of ridiculousness is extremely high...but it was a fun movie.

    I will say this...they one thing that the MI movies always do well is vehicle chase scenes. That car/motorcycle chase scene was fantastic.

    Yeah, the car/motorcycle scene was great. The movie is a rollercoaster ride and fun entertainment. If you are looking for something a little more realistic try a documentary. I just watched this one recently and thought is was sort of interesting...

    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  6. #5886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    mission impossible. i realize i'm the grumpy moviegoer and action movies by their very nature are far-fetched, but this was ridiculous. it was entertaining for the most part and action packed, but they went too far too often with with the ridiculousness and it sucked a lot of the fun out of it.

    this is the first MI i've seen - perhaps they are all so beyond preposterous.
    No you're lame!

    Can't believe you haven't seen any other MI movies. Let me suggest watching this video. If it excites you, then watch them. All, except for #2. Never happened.


  7. #5887

    Default

    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  8. #5888
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,979

    Default

    I liked BlacKkKlansman that's based on a true story of black cop in Colorado Springs who went undercover with the KKK forty years ago. It's a cop buddy movie that has a lot of funny stuff combined with very serious social commentary. The clear message is that things haven't changed all that much since the '70s and earlier when the Klan was more out in the open. Spike Lee movies for me range from "sucks" to "really good", but this one may be his best. There's a very memorable scene that moves back and forth between Harry Belafonte's character telling a horrific story of black persecution in 1918, and a Klan meeting. And the final scenes are a real gut punch. I'd say they're heavy-handed, but then that's the point. No surprise, but it's clear Lee doesn't care much for Trump or for any of the Laura Ingraham America First types.

  9. #5889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I liked BlacKkKlansman that's based on a true story of black cop in Colorado Springs who went undercover with the KKK forty years ago. It's a cop buddy movie that has a lot of funny stuff combined with very serious social commentary. The clear message is that things haven't changed all that much since the '70s and earlier when the Klan was more out in the open. Spike Lee movies for me range from "sucks" to "really good", but this one may be his best. There's a very memorable scene that moves back and forth between Harry Belafonte's character telling a horrific story of black persecution in 1918, and a Klan meeting. And the final scenes are a real gut punch. I'd say they're heavy-handed, but then that's the point. No surprise, but it's clear Lee doesn't care much for Trump or for any of the Laura Ingraham America First types.
    I thought this looked good and checked the imdb and it was 6.6. But that was before release date I think. It's up to 7.1 now which makes me think there was voting manipulation. My threshold is 7.2. Should I go for it?

  10. #5890
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    I thought this looked good and checked the imdb and it was 6.6. But that was before release date I think. It's up to 7.1 now which makes me think there was voting manipulation. My threshold is 7.2. Should I go for it?
    I'd vote yes. It has a 97% critics' score on Rotten Tomatoes, but only a 72% audience rating, reflecting in part, I'd assume, the political biases of the respective populations. Some of the shots it takes are contrived, but even those are interesting, including the effect movies like Gone with the Wind (it shows the iconic railyard scene) and Birth of a Nation (it essentially revived the Klan) had on the country.

  11. #5891

    Default

    Anyone tried Moviepass? Right now it's only $9.99, seems like everyone should strike while the iron is hot. That deal can't last forever.

    https://www.moviepass.com
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  12. #5892
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Anyone tried Moviepass? Right now it's only $9.99, seems like everyone should strike while the iron is hot. That deal can't last forever.

    https://www.moviepass.com
    I just cancelled. There are lots of restrictions that didn't use to be there. Can't see big budget releases for 2 weeks, a big reduction in the number of movies you can see a month, and a static number of movies that can be seen at some theaters across all moviepass users. For example, I tried to see a movie a few weeks ago at a popular theater. It said there were no further movies available at that theater because too many other moviepass users had already used the app there that day.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  13. #5893
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    10,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I liked BlacKkKlansman that's based on a true story of black cop in Colorado Springs who went undercover with the KKK forty years ago. It's a cop buddy movie that has a lot of funny stuff combined with very serious social commentary. The clear message is that things haven't changed all that much since the '70s and earlier when the Klan was more out in the open. Spike Lee movies for me range from "sucks" to "really good", but this one may be his best. There's a very memorable scene that moves back and forth between Harry Belafonte's character telling a horrific story of black persecution in 1918, and a Klan meeting. And the final scenes are a real gut punch. I'd say they're heavy-handed, but then that's the point. No surprise, but it's clear Lee doesn't care much for Trump or for any of the Laura Ingraham America First types.
    As usual, PAC nails this review. I mostly dislike Spike Lee's work. Until this film, I think his best work was Air Jordan commercials. It was entertaining, albeit a little far-fetched, but good.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  14. #5894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Anyone tried Moviepass? Right now it's only $9.99, seems like everyone should strike while the iron is hot. That deal can't last forever.

    https://www.moviepass.com
    It's been that price for like a year, and now it's imploding. Moviepass is dying, unfortunately.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

  15. #5895
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,090

    Default

    Three Identical Strangers - I dont remember seeing anything about their story when I was younger. Much darker than I anticipated.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  16. #5896
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,768

    Default

    Recently watched I Can Only Imagine. It is a dramatized bio of Bart Millard, the lead singer for Christian Rock band MercyMe and author of the megahit by the same name as the movie title. Went in with modest expectations but we really enjoyed it. Nice story of redemption and forgiveness and some good tunes. Recommended.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  17. #5897
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    14,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Recently watched I Can Only Imagine. It is a dramatized bio of Bart Millard, the lead singer for Christian Rock band MercyMe and author of the megahit by the same name as the movie title. Went in with modest expectations but we really enjoyed it. Nice story of redemption and forgiveness and some good tunes. Recommended.
    You are really testing me on this one.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  18. #5898
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    You are really testing me on this one.
    Stop persecuting Christian rockers!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  19. #5899
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    5,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I liked BlacKkKlansman that's based on a true story of black cop in Colorado Springs who went undercover with the KKK forty years ago. It's a cop buddy movie that has a lot of funny stuff combined with very serious social commentary. The clear message is that things haven't changed all that much since the '70s and earlier when the Klan was more out in the open. Spike Lee movies for me range from "sucks" to "really good", but this one may be his best. There's a very memorable scene that moves back and forth between Harry Belafonte's character telling a horrific story of black persecution in 1918, and a Klan meeting. And the final scenes are a real gut punch. I'd say they're heavy-handed, but then that's the point. No surprise, but it's clear Lee doesn't care much for Trump or for any of the Laura Ingraham America First types.
    Excellent movie. I agree that the not so veiled references and the ending were a bit much even though I agreed with the sentiment.

  20. #5900

    Default

    Far From the Tree. A beautiful documentary. No crying though.


  21. #5901

    Default

    the revenant. just can't believe the damn bear fell on top of him. no way it happened that way in real life, right? otherwise, fairly slow, but decent movie.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  22. #5902
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Far From the Tree. A beautiful documentary. No crying though.
    I would love to watch that, but I can't find it anywhere (amazon prime, google play, netflix). Where did you see it?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  23. #5903
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,693

    Default

    Here is close to a tree.


    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  24. #5904
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I would love to watch that, but I can't find it anywhere (amazon prime, google play, netflix). Where did you see it?
    if you have DirecTV you can stream it for $7.99. Haven't done so yet, but likely will.

  25. #5905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I would love to watch that, but I can't find it anywhere (amazon prime, google play, netflix). Where did you see it?
    I saw it at our local theater that only plays indie-type movies/documentaries. If you can stream it like PAC says, it's well worth it.

  26. #5906
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,979

    Default

    I've been suffering from McCain Fatigue with the nearly nonstop news coverage and encomiums. I've also been bugged by how many on the left, who were hyperbolic in their attacks on McCain in '08, now lionize the guy, seemingly more as a way to attack Trump than to truly honor a fallen hero. Thus I was surprised how quickly I got drawn into the truly excellent HBO documentary, John McCain--For Whom the Bell Tolls. Although I still have doubts about whether McCain would have been a strong President, I have no doubts about the goodness of the man. Among the many thoughts provoked (at least in my mind) by the movie is how different things might be today if McCain had stuck with his original decision to have Joe Lieberman as his running mate, rather than succumb to pressure from others and choosing Sarah Palin, thereby turbocharging certain populist elements in the country.

    If you have access to HBO, it's absolutely worth 90 minutes of your time.

  27. #5907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I've been suffering from McCain Fatigue with the nearly nonstop news coverage and encomiums. I've also been bugged by how many on the left, who were hyperbolic in their attacks on McCain in '08, now lionize the guy, seemingly more as a way to attack Trump than to truly honor a fallen hero. Thus I was surprised how quickly I got drawn into the truly excellent HBO documentary, John McCain--For Whom the Bell Tolls. Although I still have doubts about whether McCain would have been a strong President, I have no doubts about the goodness of the man. Among the many thoughts provoked (at least in my mind) by the movie is how different things might be today if McCain had stuck with his original decision to have Joe Lieberman as his running mate, rather than succumb to pressure from others and choosing Sarah Palin, thereby turbocharging certain populist elements in the country.

    If you have access to HBO, it's absolutely worth 90 minutes of your time.
    That's how I feel about George W as well. He's a really good guy, and absolutely did what he thought was right. But did he make the right decisions in office? I'm sure the jury is still out. Let's throw Jimmy Carter in there as well. Great guy.

  28. #5908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    That's how I feel about George W as well. He's a really good guy, and absolutely did what he thought was right. But did he make the right decisions in office? I'm sure the jury is still out. Let's throw Jimmy Carter in there as well. Great guy.
    Is it? What decisions are you unsure about? He's got decades of political decisions you can judge him by.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

  29. #5909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Is it? What decisions are you unsure about? He's got decades of political decisions you can judge him by.
    No, thanks. I don't find debating people from the either any end of the political spectrum at all enjoyable.

    Edit: There are more than just two ends out there.
    Last edited by Bo Diddley; 09-02-2018 at 03:49 PM.

  30. #5910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    No, thanks. I don't find debating people from the either any end of the political spectrum at all enjoyable.

    Edit: There are more than just two ends out there.
    I'm just commenting on the jury being out about his career as politician. Not looking for a policy debate.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •