No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently watched I Can Only Imagine. It is a dramatized bio of Bart Millard, the lead singer for Christian Rock band MercyMe and author of the megahit by the same name as the movie title. Went in with modest expectations but we really enjoyed it. Nice story of redemption and forgiveness and some good tunes. Recommended.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Recently watched I Can Only Imagine. It is a dramatized bio of Bart Millard, the lead singer for Christian Rock band MercyMe and author of the megahit by the same name as the movie title. Went in with modest expectations but we really enjoyed it. Nice story of redemption and forgiveness and some good tunes. Recommended.
      You are really testing me on this one.
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
        You are really testing me on this one.
        Stop persecuting Christian rockers!
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          I liked BlacKkKlansman that's based on a true story of black cop in Colorado Springs who went undercover with the KKK forty years ago. It's a cop buddy movie that has a lot of funny stuff combined with very serious social commentary. The clear message is that things haven't changed all that much since the '70s and earlier when the Klan was more out in the open. Spike Lee movies for me range from "sucks" to "really good", but this one may be his best. There's a very memorable scene that moves back and forth between Harry Belafonte's character telling a horrific story of black persecution in 1918, and a Klan meeting. And the final scenes are a real gut punch. I'd say they're heavy-handed, but then that's the point. No surprise, but it's clear Lee doesn't care much for Trump or for any of the Laura Ingraham America First types.
          Excellent movie. I agree that the not so veiled references and the ending were a bit much even though I agreed with the sentiment.

Comment

• Far From the Tree. A beautiful documentary. No crying though.

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• the revenant. just can't believe the damn bear fell on top of him. no way it happened that way in real life, right? otherwise, fairly slow, but decent movie.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                Far From the Tree. A beautiful documentary. No crying though.
                I would love to watch that, but I can't find it anywhere (amazon prime, google play, netflix). Where did you see it?

Comment

• Here is close to a tree.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                  -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

I would love to watch that, but I can't find it anywhere (amazon prime, google play, netflix). Where did you see it?
                    if you have DirecTV you can stream it for $7.99. Haven't done so yet, but likely will.

Comment

I saw it at our local theater that only plays indie-type movies/documentaries. If you can stream it like PAC says, it's well worth it.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• I've been suffering from McCain Fatigue with the nearly nonstop news coverage and encomiums. I've also been bugged by how many on the left, who were hyperbolic in their attacks on McCain in '08, now lionize the guy, seemingly more as a way to attack Trump than to truly honor a fallen hero. Thus I was surprised how quickly I got drawn into the truly excellent HBO documentary, John McCain--For Whom the Bell Tolls. Although I still have doubts about whether McCain would have been a strong President, I have no doubts about the goodness of the man. Among the many thoughts provoked (at least in my mind) by the movie is how different things might be today if McCain had stuck with his original decision to have Joe Lieberman as his running mate, rather than succumb to pressure from others and choosing Sarah Palin, thereby turbocharging certain populist elements in the country.

If you have access to HBO, it's absolutely worth 90 minutes of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          I've been suffering from McCain Fatigue with the nearly nonstop news coverage and encomiums. I've also been bugged by how many on the left, who were hyperbolic in their attacks on McCain in '08, now lionize the guy, seemingly more as a way to attack Trump than to truly honor a fallen hero. Thus I was surprised how quickly I got drawn into the truly excellent HBO documentary, John McCain--For Whom the Bell Tolls. Although I still have doubts about whether McCain would have been a strong President, I have no doubts about the goodness of the man. Among the many thoughts provoked (at least in my mind) by the movie is how different things might be today if McCain had stuck with his original decision to have Joe Lieberman as his running mate, rather than succumb to pressure from others and choosing Sarah Palin, thereby turbocharging certain populist elements in the country.

If you have access to HBO, it's absolutely worth 90 minutes of your time.
                          That's how I feel about George W as well. He's a really good guy, and absolutely did what he thought was right. But did he make the right decisions in office? I'm sure the jury is still out. Let's throw Jimmy Carter in there as well. Great guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            That's how I feel about George W as well. He's a really good guy, and absolutely did what he thought was right. But did he make the right decisions in office? I'm sure the jury is still out. Let's throw Jimmy Carter in there as well. Great guy.
                            Is it? What decisions are you unsure about? He's got decades of political decisions you can judge him by.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                              Is it? What decisions are you unsure about? He's got decades of political decisions you can judge him by.
                              No, thanks. I don't find debating people from the either any end of the political spectrum at all enjoyable.

Edit: There are more than just two ends out there.
                              Last edited by Bo Diddley; 09-02-2018, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                                No, thanks. I don't find debating people from the either any end of the political spectrum at all enjoyable.

Edit: There are more than just two ends out there.
                                I'm just commenting on the jury being out about his career as politician. Not looking for a policy debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X