Page 185 of 198 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,550 of 5912

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Spoiler: it sucks!
    I'm expecting a more scintillating, less concise review than that. Maybe details about what kind of snack he had in the theatre, why he was sleepy on this particular occasion, or maybe the run-up to how his wife managed to 'drag' him to yet another superhero move.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I'm expecting a more scintillating, less concise review than that. Maybe details about what kind of snack he had in the theatre, why he was sleepy on this particular occasion, or maybe the run-up to how his wife managed to 'drag' him to yet another superhero move.
    Moliere movie reviews are the best.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Factual?
    The climax for me was the subway scene, which I understand never happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    The climax for me was the subway scene, which I understand never happened.
    That makes more sense. I was wondering why you were upset that something was "not even fictional".
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

I would like to pre-subscribe to his no-doubt scintillating upcoming review of Avengers III: Infinity War!
    I was in a hurry this morning so didn’t even get to give my full review of black panther. I was going to say that pretty much all previews were for superhero movies coming out this summer, except for the preview for Solo. I’m falling into the Walter bucket soon of avoiding them altogether...unless they have Natalie Portman in them.

And on Solo, I’ll never judge a film by the preview but I’m breaking that rule on this one. Holy cow the preview was bad. They had better have come up with a decent story or this thing should have gone straight to dvd.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

I actually enjoyed Black Panther. I'm probably not going to watch any more Avengers, and certainly not Ant Man and _____ or any other spinoffs (unless the reviews are awesome!). But I thought the plot was smart, and the acting was pretty good. I loved the vision sequences, and how they spent time telling why Killmonger became the way he did. I liked the confrontation between T'challa and his father in the second vision. Some really good angsty stuff about actions and consequences.

Glad I saw it. I'd give it a B.

You guys are funny. I thought I was a cinema snob-- I used to hit the indie theatre 2x a week, was good for 8+ movies each Sundance when I was in Utah, and could have a good time critiquing a film regardless of how palatable or accessible it was. I also like to unwind at popcorn flicks once in a while-- it's a different experience. It's cool to nap at a popcorn flick if you're tired, and it's ok to get into the cheap suspense and action-- it's Mickey D's of film watching. That is the premise of a popcorn flick and people are still . That's like going through the drive through and complaining about how greasy the fries are! I see borderline outrage at the superhero movies among a set here to the point where guys like NWcoug are apologizing for liking it ^
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

You guys are funny. I thought I was a cinema snob-- I used to hit the indie theatre 2x a week, was good for 8+ movies each Sundance when I was in Utah, and could have a good time critiquing a film regardless of how palatable or accessible it was. I also like to unwind at popcorn flicks once in a while-- it's a different experience. It's cool to nap at a popcorn flick if you're tired, and it's ok to get into the cheap suspense and action-- it's Mickey D's of film watching. That is the premise of a popcorn flick and people are still . That's like going through the drive through and complaining about how greasy the fries are! I see borderline outrage at the superhero movies among a set here to the point where guys like NWcoug are apologizing for liking it ^
    Ha ha. I have to protect the film snob cred here you know!

Same. "Ugh, more comic book movies that I'm not forced to watch."
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I actually enjoyed Black Panther. I'm probably not going to watch any more Avengers, and certainly not Ant Man and _____ or any other spinoffs (unless the reviews are awesome!). But I thought the plot was smart, and the acting was pretty good. I loved the vision sequences, and how they spent time telling why Killmonger became the way he did. I liked the confrontation between T'challa and his father in the second vision. Some really good angsty stuff about actions and consequences.

Glad I saw it. I'd give it a B.
    Ant Man has Paul Rudd it. I have a policy that I will watch almost anything with Paul Rudd in it, so I'll watch that one. The one exception is his stint on Friends, even though I'm sure he was great on the show.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Ant Man has Paul Rudd it. I have a policy that I will watch almost anything with Paul Rudd in it, so I'll watch that one. The one exception is his stint on Friends, even though I'm sure he was great on the show.
    The first Ant Man movie was one of the few comic book movies that didn't totally suck. I liked it.

There are two saving graces of Ant Man. Michael Pena's (Luis) character is the first. And working in the Cure's 'Plainsong' in the movie. Otherwise, it's a below average Marvel movie.

There are two saving graces of Ant Man. Michael Pena's (Luis) character is the first. And working in the Cure's 'Plainsong' in the movie. Otherwise, it's a below average Marvel movie.
    You forgot the best thing about Ant Man, Paul Rudd.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.

I think I’m just tired of them. There are some great superhero movies: the dark knight trilogy, Ironman, doctor strange (yes I liked it), etc. But there are some really bad ones and recently Marvel just seems to hit the same plot/note on all of them.

I rarely watch them in the theater since I’d prefer to not spend the time/energy on them. I’ll watch them at home or on the bus. Even MJ was watching Spider-Man Homecoming last night, which I’ll admit was pretty good the first time through, but the second time it was boring so I didn’t stick around to finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I saw this last night. Pretty much had the opposite reaction to KL. Bale's transformation from guy willing to disobey a direct order to transport the Chief because he hates these Indians so much to guy willing to kill and be killed to make sure the Chief can stay buried in his ancestral lands felt rushed and inauthentic. Same with Pike. Her family was brutally slaughtered by Native Americans, but when one of them loans her a dress (I realize she is from a different tribe than the killers), she not only comes back from a full mental break, she does a full 180 on the natives. Even good so far as to adopt the orphaned boy.

I also felt like Bale's character was a little too much supreme hard ass/blubbering emotional wreck. Them sprinkle in some I don't give a shit stoicism just for fun.
    completely agree
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

You forgot the best thing about Ant Man, Paul Rudd.
    Meh.

I think I’m just tired of them. There are some great superhero movies: the dark knight trilogy, Ironman, doctor strange (yes I liked it), etc. But there are some really bad ones and recently Marvel just seems to hit the same plot/note on all of them.

I rarely watch them in the theater since I’d prefer to not spend the time/energy on them. I’ll watch them at home or on the bus. Even MJ was watching Spider-Man Homecoming last night, which I’ll admit was pretty good the first time through, but the second time it was boring so I didn’t stick around to finish it.
    I'm mostly just giving you crap, but yes some of them do feel very formulaic.

Meh.
    Meh for Paul Rudd

To spite you I will spend tonight watching Role Models, I Love you Man, and Wet Hot American Summer.
    --SeattleUte

Meh for Paul Rudd

To spite you I will spend tonight watching Role Models, I Love you Man, and Wet Hot American Summer.
    Throw in Clueless for good measure!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

‘Game Night’. Solid comedy. Multiple LOLs were had. The pace was frenetic enough to overlook contrived plot lines. The Denzel Washington side story was hilarious. F- bombs were mostly judiciously spaced out, for those of you who have spouses that care about that.

B+ for me.
    We saw this the other night and I enjoyed it and thought it was funny. Jason Bateman has carved out a nice little career for himself playing the same person in every film he does, he does it well and people seem to enjoy it.

Meh for Paul Rudd

I watched a little bit of Wanderlust on the television last night.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I’m falling into the Walter bucket soon of avoiding them altogether.

BTW... do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning?
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

BTW... do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning?
    It croaks.

It croaks.
    That actually would have been a better line. Contact Halle Berry.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Throw in Clueless for good measure!
    Decent movie. Of course Paul Rudd is great in it.
    --SeattleUte

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    I watched a little bit of Wanderlust on the television last night.
    You should watch the rest of it. Very funny movie. You can never go wrong with a David Wain movie with Paul Rudd.
    --SeattleUte

Twelve hours later and I'm still trying to figure out why this soft-core alien porn movie received 13 AA noms.

If you haven't seen Shape Of Water Fifty Shades of Godzilla, here it is (in essence):

Spoiler for Uncomfortable image ahead:
    Spoiler for ... you have been warned:
    Spoiler for ... no, seriously:
    Don't say I didn't warn you.

Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 03-04-2018 at 10:28 PM.

If you haven't seen Shape Of Water Fifty Shades of Godzilla, here it is (in essence):

Very impressive layering of spoilers, Walter.

I finally watched Get Out. I really enjoyed it. I think the movie would have been better though if Paul Rudd was in it, but at least Jimmy James had a role.
    --SeattleUte