Page 199 of 199 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199
Results 5,941 to 5,950 of 5950

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

Ford's recent explanation as to how we got to the moon is totally bizarre. And the soundtrack makes no sense. And I'm not sure what it has to do with trucks.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    We went to "Free Solo" this past weekend, the climb of Alex Honnald up El Capitan. This was one of the most enjoyable things I've seen in a theater in a long time. The film looks at his life growing up and his life outside of climbing, very unique and really emotionally dead person but I think you'd almost have to be to take the risk that he does. The climb itself takes up very little of the movie but it's very nerve racking even knowing that he makes it. The preparation for the climb was really interesting, 31 pitches and thousands of moves were rehearsed and thought through in order to make it. I think it's probably the greatest athletic achievement in my lifetime.
    A very strong agreement with everything you've written here. I almost didn't see it (and the missus passed) because the pucker factor is off the charts. But knowing he makes it helps a lot and the cinematography is beautifully done. The level of training and practice is mind-boggling; the guy knows literally every crack, notch, edge, etc., and every move he's going to make, up the entire 3,200' face of El Capitan. I don't understand the mindset of those who climb huge walls, even with a rope, let alone those who free solo, but it's fascinating to get to know them a bit. A very enjoyable, if very tense, night at the movies. An Oscar nominee for sure.

Has anyone seen Bohemian Rhapsody? I’m traveling for work and debating between Queen and Hawks/Pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Has anyone seen Bohemian Rhapsody? I’m traveling for work and debating between Queen and Hawks/Pistons.
    My wife saw it yesterday with some girlfriends. She loved it. If you’re a fan of Freddy Mercury you’ll enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    My wife saw it yesterday with some girlfriends. She loved it. If you’re a fan of Freddy Mercury you’ll enjoy it.
    I saw the movie last night and here’s my take: if you’re a student of rock history or a huge Queen fan, you’ll find yourself very frustrated by the film and all its musical and historical inaccuracies. If you just want to see a flamboyant film with lots of music, you’ll like it well enough.

I saw the movie last night and here’s my take: if you’re a student of rock history or a huge Queen fan, you’ll find yourself very frustrated by the film and all its musical and historical inaccuracies. If you just want to see a flamboyant film with lots of music, you’ll like it well enough.
    #humblebrag
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Interesting. I thought you lived in a city with movie theaters.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    #humblebrag
    Not remotely. I’m neither a student nor a fan, but I recognized some inaccuracies. For example, BR recharted in the early 90s because of the release of a certain most excellent film—-not because of the unfortunate loss of Queen’s lead singer.

Not remotely. I’m neither a student nor a fan, but I recognized some inaccuracies. For example, BR recharted in the early 90s because of the release of a certain most excellent film—-not because of the unfortunate loss of Queen’s lead singer.
    #humblebrag
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    A very strong agreement with everything you've written here. I almost didn't see it (and the missus passed) because the pucker factor is off the charts. But knowing he makes it helps a lot and the cinematography is beautifully done. The level of training and practice is mind-boggling; the guy knows literally every crack, notch, edge, etc., and every move he's going to make, up the entire 3,200' face of El Capitan. I don't understand the mindset of those who climb huge walls, even with a rope, let alone those who free solo, but it's fascinating to get to know them a bit. A very enjoyable, if very tense, night at the movies. An Oscar nominee for sure.

We saw it last night. Beautifully shot. Well worth the price of a ticket. Alex Honnald is a very interesting dude. Mrs. NWC, who works in special ed, kept whispering 'Asperger's' to me. He certainly has some of those qualities.

We watched it with my son and his friend, whose dad has climbed Half Dome a few times. Of course, he's done it with ropes and taken a couple of days each time. That used to sound incredible, until we watched this movie. I'm not sure what Honnald will do now that he's achieved this.