The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    In the mouth of three witnesses... just watched this tonight. Great little film; enjoyed the performances from both Bridges and (surprisingly) Pine as well. Also stars West Texas (although wikipedia says it was filmed in Eastern NM). Borrows the "slow burn" from NCFOM, but that's a good thing. Agree the waitresses were both great.

Time for a T-Bone.
    Watched it two days ago. Loved it.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
      In the mouth of three witnesses... just watched this tonight. Great little film; enjoyed the performances from both Bridges and (surprisingly) Pine as well. Also stars West Texas (although wikipedia says it was filmed in Eastern NM). Borrows the "slow burn" from NCFOM, but that's a good thing. Agree the waitresses were both great.

Time for a T-Bone.
      Knowing it was actually filmed in Eastern NM instead of West Texas just ruined it for me.... Thanks.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        Knowing it was actually filmed in Eastern NM instead of West Texas just ruined it for me.... Thanks.
        There's no difference between the two...trust me...I'd know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          I could tell it wasn't west texas. Some of the scenery was actually beautiful.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Then no way could it be west texas... Molie is full of it.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

This is true. I lived in west Texas for a while. the topographical change at the NM border is marked.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• I also endorse Hell or High Water. Might be my favorite movie this year.

I saw Arrival over Thanksgiving. I disagree with Commando that the ending was that depressing. Thoughtful, and a little unsettling maybe, but not dark or depressing at all. In fact, in my quest of always trying to find redemption and happy ending in the world, I had a different take...

Spoiler for Arrival spoiler:
                Time travel in film always raises more questions than it answers, so don't think about this too deeply. But, we saw alternate realities implied by her getting the info from the Chinese guy in the future to you use in the present to change the future. She asked the guy, "if you could know your future would you choose to know it?" I think this maybe implied an alternate future, with her not telling her husband about the death of the child, resulting in them staying together and a happy life together for them, enjoying their daughter, despite the Amy Adams character knowing the end.

Comment

• Last weekend I saw Moonlight, which was amazing and I thought it would be my favorite movie of the year. But then I watched Manchester by the Sea last night and it blew me away. Immediately after watching Manchester, I felt like it was a little overhyped, but it has really stayed with me and I now think it is one of the best movies I've seen in years--deserving of all the very high critical praise. Casey Affleck is brilliant in it.

Highly recommend both movies.

Comment

• Star Trek Beyond. Heavy on CGI and light on plot.

Comment

Star Trek Beyond. Heavy on CGI and light on plot.

Haha dabrockster, I'm not the only one.

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1157138

Comment

• I wanted to watch Arrival again to see how the beginning of the film related to the big 'reveal', so I took my brother to watch it. It definitely holds up on second viewing, and I stand by my B+ rating.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                          But then I watched Manchester by the Sea last night and it blew me away. Immediately after watching Manchester, I felt like it was a little overhyped, but it has really stayed with me and I now think it is one of the best movies I've seen in years--deserving of all the very high critical praise. Casey Affleck is brilliant in it.
                          Never even heard of this movie, but I love Casey Affleck. Thanks for the review.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                            Hateful Eight Meh. Probably the worst Tarantino film I've seen. Too long, and yet too pithy. Definitely below Pulp, Inglorious, Django, the Kill Bills, and Reservoir Dogs.
                            Saw H8, and agree with DH's assessment. Way too long of build up to a pretty funny climax.

I haven't seen jackie brown, but my QT ranking would be.

1) Pulp
                            2) Django
                            3) Kill Bill 1
                            4) Inglorious
                            5) Reservior Dogs--- Its been a long time since I've seen this. It may be significantly better or worse than I recall
                            6) Kill Bill 2
                            7) Hateful
                            8) Jackie Brown--- saw a trailer for it once. It didnt seem that interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                              Saw H8, and agree with DH's assessment. Way too long of build up to a pretty funny climax.

I haven't seen jackie brown, but my QT ranking would be.

1) Pulp
                              2) Django
                              3) Kill Bill 1
                              4) Inglorious
                              5) Reservior Dogs--- Its been a long time since I've seen this. It may be significantly better or worse than I recall
                              6) Kill Bill 2
                              7) Hateful
                              8) Jackie Brown--- saw a trailer for it once. It didnt seem that interesting.
                              Whoa, wait a minute. Who gave you permission to use SU's schtick? You can't rate something you haven't seen.

Comment

Whoa, wait a minute. Who gave you permission to use SU's schtick? You can't rate something you haven't seen.
                                SUwish. Not knowing about something doesn't mean I can't have a very strong opinion on it. The internet, and EQ discussions have taught me that.

Comment

Working...
                                X