The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Hostiles. I am in love with this movie, for me it's the best western since Lonesome Dove, coincidentally about two other veterans of the Civil and Indian wars IIRC. Christian Bales buries himself so deeply in his character that all through his first scene I wasn't positive that it was him. The critics say that the first scene is memorably horrific, and I agree, but the first scene with Bales (nearing retirement and talking with his best friend and fellow 20-year veteran of the Indian Wars) was great acting, lighting, directing, and cinematography.

I was previously acquainted with Rosamund Pike's work in Gone Girl and her littering up the screen in my favorite Jack Reacher flick, and her performance here is better than anything she has done before. I'm betting that she says less than 200 words the entire movie, and has to emote with her eyes and her body. Wes Studi is also great, like he always is when they let his characters go beyond the typical tobacco store indian characterization.

The movie shows the Bales character truly grappling with his soul and transcending his history in a manner that makes DiCaprio and the Bear look disneyish. The script doesn't fall prey to trite plot templates. When Rosamund Pike's character turns to comfort Bales in a tent in a storm, there is no physical attraction there- just an offer to share one personal set of miseries with another.

This part is delicate: at one point in the movie all three women are raped. A monstrous thing, but precious little time can be expended on dwelling on the atrocity. There is so much danger and the women have experienced so many other brutalities it is almost as if they tell each other to walk it off; the company needs to keep moving and they are still alive.

Spoiler for Spoiler+:
    In the plot theme "Boy gets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back," sometime the losing girl part of the plot is so thin you think, watching, "Brother, when will they get back together?" In this movie, I was completely fooled. But at the end of the movie, when he hops onto the train just as it pulls out of the station, the audience erupts into applause.
    I finally got around to seeing Hostiles and agree completely. Awesome movie, great acting and cinematography. It made me (almost) cry at the beginning and of course at the end. No idea how this wouldn’t have 95% or more on RT.

Comment

• Hereditary. One of the scariest movie I've ever seen, and I watch a lot of horror. Like The Witch, The Bababook, and Rosemary's Baby spawned a child that turned out to be more terrifying than any one of them.

Comment

• Thanks for the info on Hostiles. I had wondered about watching it, but decision made.
        I intend to live forever.
        So far, so good.
        --Steven Wright

Comment

• The Tale. I couldn't finish it. Not because it was bad. Just too real and disturbing. There was one scene in there and I just noped right out of it. I had to Google it to find out the rest of the movie. Also, I'll never look at John Ritter's son the same. I already didn't care much for him from Parenthood. Don't know why anyone would take that role.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

• Hostiles.
            Was on a long flight and watched it.
            Crying my eyes out at the end.
            Wanted to instantly watch it again, but I needed an emotional break.
            Watched Chuck (about the rocky babloa inspiration)— pretty good, then watched hostiles again.
            Some of the critics ragged on the dialogue, but I don’t know why. One of favorites now.
            I intend to live forever.
            So far, so good.
            --Steven Wright

Comment

• Adrift, the story of Tammy Oldham, when she was 24 and began her first major sailing effort. The actress resembles pictures of Tammy from that time, and it is a typical tale of struggling to survive at sea, but given the events are real and the acting isn't overplayed, it is worth watching. The book is Red Sky in Mourning and something I think I will read.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• I saw that one too. I thought it was a decent survival flick. You should go check out Hereditary.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                  I saw that one too. I thought it was a decent survival flick. You should go check out Hereditary.
                  How would you rate Hereditary?

I saw Upgrade yesterday and it languished at times, but was enjoyable for "technology is evil" type movie genre. I'd give it about a 7.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                    How would you rate Hereditary?

I saw Upgrade yesterday and it languished at times, but was enjoyable for "technology is evil" type movie genre. I'd give it about a 7.
                    I really enjoyed Upgrade. It didn't try to be anything it wasn't. Hereditary, as far as horror films go, I'd give it a 9 or 10. Toni Collete's performance is worthy of an Oscar nomination.

Comment

I really enjoyed Upgrade. It didn't try to be anything it wasn't. Hereditary, as far as horror films go, I'd give it a 9 or 10. Toni Collete's performance is worthy of an Oscar nomination.
                      Is it a slasher film or a different sort of horror film? Strange as this might seem to you, I enjoy war, spy and anything with a plot that lets the characters shoot people up, but when it comes to horror flicks where people jump out and kill people gruesomely, I don't enjoy that. And I don't enjoy Satanic films. Is it one of those sort, or something like the Circle?

Comment

• Supernatural/Occult stuff, so you might want to pass. I'm not big into slasher films either.

Comment

Supernatural/Occult stuff, so you might want to pass. I'm not big into slasher films either.
                          Supernatural and Occult are different. I liked Rosemary's Baby but did not like the Exorcist.

Comment

Supernatural/Occult stuff, so you might want to pass. I'm not big into slasher films either.
                            Me neither, but I really liked Scream. I can appreciate a well-crafted horror movie. I hate cheap scares and cheap gore.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                              Me neither, but I really liked Scream. I can appreciate a well-crafted horror movie. I hate cheap scares and cheap gore.
                              Did you enjoy The Witch?

Comment

Did you enjoy The Witch?
                                Oh hell yes. I'm not sure I enjoyed that intense suspense, but that brand of horror creepiness is just the right note.
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                                X