No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darkest Hour last night. Loved it. I agree with Brian though, the subway scene was a dumb deviation.

Oldman was amazing.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
      Darkest Hour last night. Loved it. I agree with Brian though, the subway scene was a dumb deviation.

Oldman was amazing.
      What I gather from those who liked the movie is the acting and dram was well-done.

What has turned me off to the movie is that it is grossly inaccurate and although it paints an interesting character, it is not the true character of Churchill. The movie apparently paints as a man of self doubt and indecision when he was anything but that. He was often arrogant and rude but not the character that Oldman portrays.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
        What I gather from those who liked the movie is the acting and dram was well-done.

What has turned me off to the movie is that it is grossly inaccurate and although it paints an interesting character, it is not the true character of Churchill. The movie apparently paints as a man of self doubt and indecision when he was anything but that. He was often arrogant and rude but not the character that Oldman portrays.
        I didn’t see him as having self doubt or indecision in the movie. He questioned vigorously the counters to his proposals. But he also recognized the near-futility of the task at hand as country after country continued to fall to Hitlers advance.
        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
          I didn’t see him as having self doubt or indecision in the movie. He questioned vigorously the counters to his proposals. But he also recognized the near-futility of the task at hand as country after country continued to fall to Hitlers advance.
          I have read numerous reviews on the movie, all of which have dissuaded me from wanting to see it due to its gross historical inaccuracies and mischaracterization of Churchill, despite dramatically well-done. People who don't read about Churchill will see this mischaracterization as Churchill is my fear.

From the National Review's review:

Now it’s Churchill’s turn to be shrunken down to a more manageable size. In Darkest Hour, which is set across May and June of 1940, the English director Joe Wright and his star Gary Oldman conspire to create a somewhat comical, quavering, and very human prime minister. In dramatic terms it’s an engaging picture, and Oldman is terrifically appealing, but if you’re looking for indecision and angst, the person of Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill is a curious place to declare you’ve found it. Darkest Hour begins with the resignation of Neville Chamberlain (Ronald Pickup) and Churchill’s accession to the premiership on May 10, 1940, building up to the concluding “We shall fight on the beaches” speech he delivered in the House of Commons on June 4, after the miraculous Dunkirk rescue. (The flight of British forces from the Continent takes place almost entirely offscreen here but has been covered in another movie this year. It also inspired a memorable interlude, captured in one of the most elaborate continuous shots ever put to film, in Wright’s own 2007 movie Atonement).

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...urchill-memory
          And further:

Such moments capture the sense of a Britain gasping for air as Hitler’s fingers tightened their grip around its neck. But then, in its last half-hour, Darkest Hour veers far off the path of truth. Screenwriter Anthony McCarten has claimed, citing Cabinet minutes, that Churchill’s intentions changed virtually from “hour to hour,” and “this is not something that’s ever been celebrated — that he had doubts, that he was uncertain.” All of this is a gross exaggeration. Churchill told his War Cabinet on May 28 “that every man of you would rise up and tear me down from my place if I were for one moment to contemplate parley or surrender. If this long island story of ours is to end at last, let it end only when each one of us lies choking in his own blood upon the ground.” I understand the needs of Method actors, but Churchill was not George McFly.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...urchill-memory
          And the re-writing of May 1940.

Darkest Hour’s version of the story is very different. Halifax and Chamberlain are portrayed in a more sinister light, scheming to replace Churchill by putting his policy to the test of a vote of confidence. Churchill is portrayed as being at a loss about how to get control of the situation. He turns to the King, who suggests that he see what “the people” think. For the first time in his life, Churchill decides to ride the Underground. In a journey of two stops he asks a half-dozen people standing near him whether Britain should fight or negotiate. This impromptu focus group urges him to fight and never surrender. Armed with this popular “mandate,” Churchill has the courage to overrule Halifax. Churchill then meets the other members of Cabinet, who endorse his position, and he goes from there directly to the House of Commons, where he delivers his famous “we shall fight on the beaches … we shall never surrender” speech, and receives a standing ovation, including Chamberlain. At that point, Halifax admits defeat. In the final screen of the movie, we learn that Churchill sent Halifax “to Washington” several months later.

There are several things inaccurate about this version of the story. The subterranean focus group is pure fiction. Halifax gave up his advocacy of negotiations at the War Cabinet meeting of May 28. Churchill gave his “we shall fight on the beaches” speech a week later, on June 4. Finally, Churchill did send Halifax to Washington – as Ambassador.

Seen in this light, screenwriter Anthony McCarten was attributing Churchill’s public policy victory to his successful reading of the mood of “the people” and his oratory. The use of the subterranean focus group represents a kind of populism, a belief that “the people,” not the elites, know best. In fact, Churchill’s policy victory was the result of his ability to win over the other members of the elite in the War Cabinet, including Chamberlain, and to neutralize Halifax. McCarten neglecting to mention that Churchill sent Halifax to Washington as ambassador was because McCarten had painted Halifax as a near-traitor, so that appointing him to represent the UK in its most critical diplomatic relationship would have made no sense. Had Halifax been portrayed in a more nuanced way, the appointment would have been understandable.
          Last edited by Topper; 12-30-2017, 01:35 PM.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
            Saw Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri

An artistic "black comedy crime" movie focused upon the inability to solve a year old rape-murder of a local girl. The acting is superb, in that broken, poor white trash, are shown in their frailty but with some aspect of humanity still in tact. Frances McDormand and Woody Harrelson show unvarnished characters as part of blue collar middle America. The lack of resolution is part of its painful appeal.
            One of my favorites of the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              Finally saw Wonder Woman. My only two thoughts upon leaving the theater were 1. Gal Gadot is very beautiful, 2. Do you think Pellegrino will have the hots for Diana Prince since she speaks ancient Greek?
              Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
              My only thought is this: why do otherwise-respectable adults watch comic book superhero movies?
              God bless you Jodie Foster. Happy New Year.
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                Asked whether she would ever consider making a film about a superhero, she said she would consider it, but only if they had “really complex psychology”.

They are ruining Hollywood but if they finally decide to include me then that would be fine!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                  Hooray for Jodie! But why did she use that stupid fracking analogy? It doesn’t ruin the earth. Good grief.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Hooray for Jodie! But why did she use that stupid fracking analogy? It doesn’t ruin the earth. Good grief.
                    Agree.
                    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• If you enjoy Aaron Sorkin dialogue (West Wing, The American President, A Few Good Men, The Social Network, etc.), you’ll enjoy Molly’s Game. It’s the true story of a woman who started hosting very high-stakes poker games first in LA and then NYC. She was later prosecuted by the feds because of her alleged involvement with the Russian mafia.

While a typical screenplay is around 100 pages in length, Sorkin’s are usually twice that long, or longer, due to heavy, rapid-fire dialogue. This one’s no different, but it held our interest throughout. I didn’t like it quite as much as his other movies (this was also Sorkin’s directorial debut), but thought it was still very good. Jessica Chastain, as always, turns in a strong performance.

I haven’t posted in this thread for awhile, but going back a few weeks I’m still appreciating Three Billboards (some very good performances there) and Darkest Hour (hand Oldman the Oscar now and save some time).

I also confess to seeing and enjoying Jumanji. I went in with very low expectations, but watching the stars (including The Rock, Jack Black and Kevin Hart) channeling teenagers with personas very different from their own was good for a lot of laughs. We usually attend movies during weeknights when the crowds are small or nonexistent, but we saw this one in a full theater and everyone busting up throughout the movie enhanced the experience.

Comment

• The Greatest Showman.

Absolutely loved it. I was in tears. So so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                          The Greatest Showman.

Would someone who really disliked Chicago and Moulin Rouge enjoy it?
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                            The Greatest Showman.

My wife just saw it with two of our kids, and reported back that she enjoyed it. Her movie critiques are not on par with Siskel and Ebert or even PAC or Steel Blue.

"Did you enjoy the movie? Do you have a review?"

"Loved it." Nothing more.

Comment

• Possibly.

Did you enjoy Les Mis?

I enjoyed it immensely.

Comment

• My wife has now seen the greatest showman 3 times.

I still have zero desire to see a singing movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X