Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105
Results 3,121 to 3,138 of 3138

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Did you enjoy the previous Marvel comic book movies (Avengers, C.A., Thor, etc)? What is your feeling on Russell Crowe nakedness?
    Why do you need to know that when deciding what you would choose to watch?
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Why do you need to know that when deciding what you would choose to watch?
    I am creepy like that. I would watch Noah, as I have already seen Captain America 2.
    The Mormon Creed: Mind Your Own Business

So is the Winter Soldier an unredeemably bad film? Or just bad to Sobchak and we all know how artsy fartsy he is. I've already promised a bunch of 17 year old males that I will take them tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    So is the Winter Soldier an unredeemably bad film? Or just bad to Sobchak and we all know how artsy fartsy he is. I've already promised a bunch of 17 year old males that I will take them tonight.
    I hated the first CA film. But (outside of WS), this one seems to be getting good reviews.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar

It has its unbelievable parts but the vast majority of 17 year old males will really like the movie.
    The Mormon Creed: Mind Your Own Business

I went stag with 5 other couples. Chris Evans got the ladies in our party to where they wanted to go. So, there's that.
    Braccae tuae aperiuntur.

So is the Winter Soldier an unredeemably bad film? Or just bad to Sobchak and we all know how artsy fartsy genteel he is. I've already promised a bunch of 17 year old males that I will take them tonight.
    FIFY
    If it helps, I don't think you're anywhere near as indie hipster as MG.

FIFY
    If it helps, I don't think you're anywhere near as indie hipster as MG.
    Like that's possible.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Finally got around to watching A Separation tonight with the wifey. 2011 Iranian film that won Oscar for best foreign flick. Excellent. But wow, you have to be a speed reader in some parts. Those subtitles fly by.

Pre-Historic Man

God's not Dead.

It was an interesting premise but not executed particularly well. The situations were heavily contrived and the resolutions were consummated in a simplistic fashion. Overall, I would rate as a don't go.

Saw The Past on netflix, directed by Iranian phenom director Asghar Fahardi, who also directed A Separation, one of the best movies of 2011. I remember outraging my gospel doctrine class by telling them that A Separation shows Sharia law courts in Iran seemed very much like LDS members taking their petty squabbles and arguments and laying them at the feet of the bishop, and accepting whatever he ruled. I'm not talking about stoning and dismemberment and the freakish exaggeration of sharia law, I'm talking about the 90% of sharia rulings that are done by harried and overworked local clerics. But I digress.
    KL, we loved A Separation so I am interested in seeing The Past, but I cannot locate it on Netflix. Is is listed under a foreign name or something?

Sorry, it was on Redbox, not Netflix. I'm sure it is at a redbox near you.

One more thing about director Fahardi: His movies seem so real. Notice how every family in a Tyler Perry movie is a doctor, lawyer or CEO? And every family is loving and wealthy except for when the plot calls for something else? And every Tyler Perry house is immaculately clean, with a maid or two in tow. That's not Fahardi. His characters seem so emotionally real-- they aren't particularly more self aware, or better groomed, or more profound, just because they are in a movie. They are uncertain, and a little (not a lot) rash, and unassuming, and get angry in ugly ways, and show compassion in unexpected ways. And the houses in his movies seem so messy and crowded, and old, and lived in. They seem like real houses that I've been to.

Sorry, it was on Redbox, not Netflix. I'm sure it is at a redbox near you.

One more thing about director Fahardi: His movies seem so real. Notice how every family in a Tyler Perry movie is a doctor, lawyer or CEO? And every family is loving and wealthy except for when the plot calls for something else? And every Tyler Perry house is immaculately clean, with a maid or two in tow. That's not Fahardi. His characters seem so emotionally real-- they aren't particularly more self aware, or better groomed, or more profound, just because they are in a movie. They are uncertain, and a little (not a lot) rash, and unassuming, and get angry in ugly ways, and show compassion in unexpected ways. And the houses in his movies seem so messy and crowded, and old, and lived in. They seem like real houses that I've been to.
    Completely agree.

One of the more compelling things in A Separation for us was the father with Alzheimer's. My wife has been caring for her mother with Alzheimer's for the past few years so it really hit home.

Went to "Draft Day" yesterday. I have a hard time with sports movies because I too often find myself saying that couldn't happen or noticing actors that are the wrong size or the wrong age and their is plenty of that in this movie. My wife enjoyed it because she doesn't care about any of that stuff.

Watched White House Down over the weekend. Stayed awake for the whole movie. I think there is something wrong with me.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    In my opinion, Let It Go is Disney's best song from an animated movie since Lion King in 1995.
    A girl in our office was playing this yesterday and I don't I've heard a worst song since Terry Jacks came out with Seasons in the Sun back in 1974.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    In my opinion, Let It Go is Disney's best song from an animated movie since Lion King in 1995.
    A girl in our office was playing this yesterday and I don't I've heard a worst song since Terry Jacks came out with Seasons in the Sun back in 1974.
    wb IPU.
    Braccae tuae aperiuntur.

I saw The Last Days on Mars. If you are into zombie martians movies then there is a remote chance you might like this movie. Otherwise don't waste 98 minutes on this one and watch the classical Alien movie (again) instead. The both have the same plot.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I like Barrack Obama and want to help him if I can." -Orrin Hatch, on his support for Eric Holder's nomination.