No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So is the Winter Soldier an unredeemably bad film? Or just bad to Sobchak and we all know how artsy fartsy he is. I've already promised a bunch of 17 year old males that I will take them tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      So is the Winter Soldier an unredeemably bad film? Or just bad to Sobchak and we all know how artsy fartsy he is. I've already promised a bunch of 17 year old males that I will take them tonight.
      I hated the first CA film. But (outside of WS), this one seems to be getting good reviews.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

So is the Winter Soldier an unredeemably bad film? Or just bad to Sobchak and we all know how artsy fartsy he is. I've already promised a bunch of 17 year old males that I will take them tonight.
        It has its unbelievable parts but the vast majority of 17 year old males will really like the movie.
        "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

I went stag with 5 other couples. Chris Evans got the ladies in our party to where they wanted to go. So, there's that.
          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

So is the Winter Soldier an unredeemably bad film? Or just bad to Sobchak and we all know how artsy fartsy genteel he is. I've already promised a bunch of 17 year old males that I will take them tonight.
            FIFY
            If it helps, I don't think you're anywhere near as indie hipster as MG.

Comment

FIFY
              If it helps, I don't think you're anywhere near as indie hipster as MG.
              Like that's possible.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Finally got around to watching A Separation tonight with the wifey. 2011 Iranian film that won Oscar for best foreign flick. Excellent. But wow, you have to be a speed reader in some parts. Those subtitles fly by.

Comment

• God's not Dead.

It was an interesting premise but not executed particularly well. The situations were heavily contrived and the resolutions were consummated in a simplistic fashion. Overall, I would rate as a don't go.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Saw The Past on netflix, directed by Iranian phenom director Asghar Fahardi, who also directed A Separation, one of the best movies of 2011. I remember outraging my gospel doctrine class by telling them that A Separation shows Sharia law courts in Iran seemed very much like LDS members taking their petty squabbles and arguments and laying them at the feet of the bishop, and accepting whatever he ruled. I'm not talking about stoning and dismemberment and the freakish exaggeration of sharia law, I'm talking about the 90% of sharia rulings that are done by harried and overworked local clerics. But I digress.
                    KL, we loved A Separation so I am interested in seeing The Past, but I cannot locate it on Netflix. Is is listed under a foreign name or something?

Comment

• Sorry, it was on Redbox, not Netflix. I'm sure it is at a redbox near you.

One more thing about director Fahardi: His movies seem so real. Notice how every family in a Tyler Perry movie is a doctor, lawyer or CEO? And every family is loving and wealthy except for when the plot calls for something else? And every Tyler Perry house is immaculately clean, with a maid or two in tow. That's not Fahardi. His characters seem so emotionally real-- they aren't particularly more self aware, or better groomed, or more profound, just because they are in a movie. They are uncertain, and a little (not a lot) rash, and unassuming, and get angry in ugly ways, and show compassion in unexpected ways. And the houses in his movies seem so messy and crowded, and old, and lived in. They seem like real houses that I've been to.

Comment

Sorry, it was on Redbox, not Netflix. I'm sure it is at a redbox near you.

One more thing about director Fahardi: His movies seem so real. Notice how every family in a Tyler Perry movie is a doctor, lawyer or CEO? And every family is loving and wealthy except for when the plot calls for something else? And every Tyler Perry house is immaculately clean, with a maid or two in tow. That's not Fahardi. His characters seem so emotionally real-- they aren't particularly more self aware, or better groomed, or more profound, just because they are in a movie. They are uncertain, and a little (not a lot) rash, and unassuming, and get angry in ugly ways, and show compassion in unexpected ways. And the houses in his movies seem so messy and crowded, and old, and lived in. They seem like real houses that I've been to.
                        Completely agree.

One of the more compelling things in A Separation for us was the father with Alzheimer's. My wife has been caring for her mother with Alzheimer's for the past few years so it really hit home.

Comment

• Went to "Draft Day" yesterday. I have a hard time with sports movies because I too often find myself saying that couldn't happen or noticing actors that are the wrong size or the wrong age and their is plenty of that in this movie. My wife enjoyed it because she doesn't care about any of that stuff.

Comment

• Watched White House Down over the weekend. Stayed awake for the whole movie. I think there is something wrong with me.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                              In my opinion, Let It Go is Disney's best song from an animated movie since Lion King in 1995.
                              A girl in our office was playing this yesterday and I don't I've heard a worst song since Terry Jacks came out with Seasons in the Sun back in 1974.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                                Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                In my opinion, Let It Go is Disney's best song from an animated movie since Lion King in 1995.
                                A girl in our office was playing this yesterday and I don't I've heard a worst song since Terry Jacks came out with Seasons in the Sun back in 1974.
                                wb IPU.
                                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Working...
                                X