The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Come What May A French film (called En mai, fais ce qu'il te plaît)

I'm a geek for WWII era films. I'm trying to learn french, and there's no shortage of French films on Netflix and Amazon (although there is a shortage of french films that are "For the Strength of Youth" compliant!).

The film follows the citizens of a village displaced by the invasion of France by German forces, and focuses on a German communist (he fled the Nazi's and escaped to France pre-war, only to be imprisoned on suspicion of espionage in France) attempting to find his son, who is travelling with the villagers. I can't say for certain if the acting is fantastic, because I understood about 20% of the dialogue, but it explores a part of WWII that doesn't get much play in the US: the plight of non-German refugees on the continent during WWII.

There's a decent amount of English dialogue due to the role of a Scottish officer (played by The Americans Matthew Rhys), so you get a break from the subtitles.

I enjoyed the tale.
    This has been on my list forever. That directer did a pretty good, very slow spy film called "Farwell" about a French diplomat's role is obtaining Soviet intel that ended up being pivotal for the Cold War.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      What bugged you about the Nightingale? I agree that All The Light was better and that the Nightingale bugged me. I couldn’t quite put my finger on why, though.

BTW, Mrs. Donut also read both books and feels exactly the opposite.
      I read them both and liked Nightingale better. #teamdhwife
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        What bugged you about the Nightingale? I agree that All The Light was better and that the Nightingale bugged me. I couldn’t quite put my finger on why, though.

BTW, Mrs. Donut also read both books and feels exactly the opposite.
        I think it was the fabricated mystery regarding who the mom was. I also did not like the characters. I wasn't even rooting for them to escape the Nazis, that is how annoying they were. They just did so many stupid things, i was hoping they would get caught to be put out of their misery.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
          I think it was the fabricated mystery regarding who the mom was. I also did not like the characters. I wasn't even rooting for them to escape the Nazis, that is how annoying they were. They just did so many stupid things, i was hoping they would get caught to be put out of their misery.
          I hope you never plan to run for public office.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            I hope you never plan to run for public office.
            I've been thinking about it. Want to run for school board so I can shut down the high school.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              I've been thinking about it. Want to run for school board so I can shut down the high school.
              Go Ron Swanson that shit, BP!
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Finally got around to watching Darkest Hour on a flight. Felt like they went a little too far with making up stuff unnecessarily, but still loved it. God bless Winston Churchill.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Caught Isle of Dogs on a midweek date. Very enjoyable movie. I wish I could remember more Japanese, because what I caught added to the humor. Not that I caught much more that could be gathered from tone and context. The little detail stuff like the cats all looking like little evil versions of their masters was great.

Comment

• Avengers IW was fun (stupid AF, but fun). given its a superhero movie, has a ceiling of about 2.5 stars, I give it 2.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      Avengers IW was fun (stupid AF, but fun). given its a superhero movie, has a ceiling of about 2.5 stars, I give it 2.
                      OK we know everybody on this board has seen it, what's your real review?
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• I have not seen it yet. Both of my teenage boys have seen it and they said it was very good, but the ending left them with many questions. They would not elaborate until I see it.
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                          Sorry, not planning on seeing it. But I am pretty boring like that. I see very few movies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            It's dreadful. I don't generally like comic book movies so you can probably safely ignore my assessment. That said, there is variation in how much I like them. I roughly group them into three tiers: ok/liked, bad, and dreadful. This is definitely a tier three. It's everything that's bad about these movies leveraged to maximum effect.

Comment

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                              It's dreadful. I don't generally like comic book movies so you can probably safely ignore my assessment. That said, there is variation in how much I like them. I roughly group them into three tiers: ok/liked, bad, and dreadful. This is definitely a tier three. It's everything that's bad about these movies leveraged to maximum effect.
                              disagree.

Avengers Infinity War: Definitely the best of the 'avengers' movies, which I have traditionally disfavored because they were all explosions and punchy shooty. I enjoy most of the actors in this-- lots of humor and the right tone(the always-likable gang from Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man, Thor, and Black Panther), and less emphasis on 'special effects', which these days seems like an antiquated term in and of itself (See Justice League for a visual aid of how wrong this could have gone). I was amazed that a comic book movie could be this comic book. Not a comic book nerd making a facsimile of a comic book plot or a neat summary for those not interested in comics, but a nerdy comic movie for comic nerds. They don't waste much time on exposition or character introduction-- they get right into the thick of a comic book plot. If that doesn't sound like your speed, move along. If it does, I don't think this style of movie has ever been this well done.
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Zero interest in this one. Pass!

Comment

Working...
                                X