The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
    I saw Tenet last night. I really like it. It has all the trappings of a Nolan film. As the trailers hint, the plot is pretty convoluted and I'll have to watch it again sometime to see what I missed. John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, and Kenneth Branagh were all very good in it.

It was my first time back in a theater since BC and it felt strange. The entire theater complex was empty except our little group. I can't imagine much money is going to be made on any movies for a while.

And I may be getting old, but they had the volume turned up too loud. Both gunshots and dialogue pierced my poor ears all night.
    We saw it last night at our fake IMAX. Hardly anyone was there, either by design or people are still scared to go to theaters. Most people were properly masked.

Solid film and solid acting. Like you, a lot flew over my head and the sound was too loud to hear a lot of the dialogue. Just like Dunkirk. If Nolan’s hearing is getting bad enough for him to turn up all the sound channels to 11, he needs to hand those reins over.

Read this article. It answered a lot of questions about the film. I still want to see it again though.

https://screenrant.com/tenet-ending-...g4M3dYWjk4MVM.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      We just watched that and we both hated it. Most random weird movie we have ever seen. But then we have been thinking and talking about it and we are starting to decipher it and appreciate it to the point we want to watch it again. Ha.
      There are a view youtube explanation videos that are good. I don't think it's really possible to get it on your own. Unless you watch it a couple times and also
      Spoiler for spoiler:
      know the musical Oklahoma

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        There are a view youtube explanation videos that are good. I don't think it's really possible to get it on your own. Unless you watch it a couple times and also
        Spoiler for spoiler:
        know the musical Oklahoma
        I don’t want to Google anything about it quite yet. We are having fun trying to figure it out. I had an epiphany this morning that I think might explain most of what was going on.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          I don’t want to Google anything about it quite yet. We are having fun trying to figure it out. I had an epiphany this morning that I think might explain most of what was going on.
          The spoilers a low threshold spoiler, if you want to check it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
            I saw Tenet last night. I really like it. It has all the trappings of a Nolan film. As the trailers hint, the plot is pretty convoluted and I'll have to watch it again sometime to see what I missed. John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, and Kenneth Branagh were all very good in it.

It was my first time back in a theater since BC and it felt strange. The entire theater complex was empty except our little group. I can't imagine much money is going to be made on any movies for a while.

And I may be getting old, but they had the volume turned up too loud. Both gunshots and dialogue pierced my poor ears all night.
            If you were in a theater in BC then you are old.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Inglorious Bastards. Hadn't seen it before. What little I had seen about it before led me to believe it would be a cheesy comedy. Hearing others here praise it when talking about Tarentino flicks a while back influenced me enough to give it a shot when I saw it available for on demand viewing from YouTubeTV.

I enjoyed it much more than I expected. However, I think there may have been some historical inaccuracies.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                Inglorious Bastards. Hadn't seen it before. What little I had seen about it before led me to believe it would be a cheesy comedy. Hearing others here praise it when talking about Tarentino flicks a while back influenced me enough to give it a shot when I saw it available for on demand viewing from YouTubeTV.

I enjoyed it much more than I expected. However, I think there may have been some historical inaccuracies.

:surprise:
                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Mulan. Pretty movie, not really a good movie. Maybe kids will like it. Had to burn $29.95 to watch it at home.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                    Mulan. Pretty movie, not really a good movie. Maybe kids will like it. Had to burn $29.95 to watch it at home.
                    We watched it. Great potential but fell a little flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      I can understand those who were not bowled over by Hamilton. I’m not a big fan of hip hop (no surprise), yet I loved Hamilton. Chernow’s book, on which the musical is based, is one of the best biographies I’ve ever read, a prodigious work befitting its subject, and the musical is a superb 150-minute summary.

Most musicals are trivial bits of entertaining fluff--Hamilton is amazingly dense with historical data, while not seeming didactic. The range from the hilarious (King George III—awesome) to the tragic (e.g., Eliza’s and Angelica’s numbers) is impressive. Jefferson’s “What’d I Miss?”, which opens the second act and cleverly deviates, both in tone and musical form, from the story’s arc, is a great combination of humor and truth (he was more than a little out of step having spent so much time away in France), and sets up perfectly the coming clash with Hamilton.

The production is especially meaningful, even therapeutic, in view of the current national conflict between those with fierce national pride and those who rip on our checkered past and flawed founders. By the time Hamilton finishes, one has a strong sense of both a man and a nation, with serious shortcomings and yet unparalleled greatness.

I liked what one historian said when asked why there is no national monument for Hamilton. He responded with something like, “Look around. Our nation is a monument to Alexander Hamilton.” The musical does him justice.
                      My wife tried watching Hamilton with our kids, but she turned it off after only 5 minutes. I started watching it the other night with my daughters (11 and 12). We watched to the intermission before I sent them to bed. Both seemed to be enjoying it.

Yesterday we restarted the show from intermission with my daughters and my wife. While she asked several questions about the underlying history, my wife just wasn't into the production and exited after 10ish minutes to watch something else in the other room. Our 12-year-old joined her at some point.

Our 15-year-old came home from work (hallelujah he has a job) while we were watching. He thought they should have cast Alexander with a better singer. Can't say I disagree with him. Before long, he was in the back room, too.

So my 11-year-old and I are the only ones in our household who made it through the whole show. In fact, she was singing along in parts (even though she hadn't heard the soundtrack before)..."I'm not throwing away my shot..."

My favorite songs were from King George. The presentation of the cabinet debates as rap battles was inventive and cool. I really liked Burr as the narrator - that also works really well. Especially enjoyed the declaration in the opening number of Burr shooting Hamilton - seems like it would draw more interest from those in the audience who were unaware.

Overall, a pretty impressive show about a pretty impressive, flawed dude.

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                        Our 15-year-old came home from work (hallelujah he has a job) while we were watching. He thought they should have cast Alexander with a better singer. Can't say I disagree with him. Before long, he was in the back room, too.

When you write a musical as impressive as Hamilton, you get to cast yourself in the lead role, even if you’re not a impressive vocalist. It’s just the rule.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          When you write a musical as impressive as Hamilton, you get to cast yourself in the lead role, even if you’re not a impressive vocalist. It’s just the rule.
                          Yip.

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Watched ‘Tenet’ again. 8 people total in a Saturday 7pm show. I don’t know when we’ll start seeing mega budget movies again.

Anyways, I recommend watching it again. There are still a few things that I don’t understand, but overall the sheer ambition of it all makes up for bad sound editing (again) and some rushed plot explanations. It’s in the top tier of Nolan movies.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Watched Being John Malkovich yesterday for the first time. What a weird, but great movie. I was entertained from beginning to end ... which isn't something I can say about many movies. The cast was fantastic. May be the best performances I've seen from any of them. I was least familiar with Catherine Keener, but she was a real standout. Not surprised she got the Oscar nomination. I am not the biggest fan of Spike Jonze's other films, but I understand a little better why he gets as much praise as he does after watching this. I think the real credit should belong to Charlie Kaufman though. What an inventive and entertaining script.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                                Watched ‘Tenet’ again. 8 people total in a Saturday 7pm show. I don’t know when we’ll start seeing mega budget movies again.

Anyways, I recommend watching it again. There are still a few things that I don’t understand, but overall the sheer ambition of it all makes up for bad sound editing (again) and some rushed plot explanations. It’s in the top tier of Nolan movies.
                                I watched it again this weekend too. I agree, a second watching does help things, plot wise. It was more enjoyable the second time. But I still thought that JDW's acting was crap, maybe he was miscast. I loved Edward Cullen Cedric Diggory Batman Robert Pattinson as Neil.

At the end of the day, however, I still think the story is too convoluted and tries too hard to be a mind-blowing experience. I would put it solidly in the bottom third of Nolan films. Here are the films that are better than Tenet, in no particular order:

Batman Begins
                                The Dark Knight
                                Memento
                                Interstellar
                                The Prestige
                                Inception
                                Dunkirk

I haven't seen Following or Insomnia, but I can only assume they are worse than Tenet.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X