The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Don't blame this thread! Critics everywhere are gushing about it. I'm going to check it out tonight on IMAX.

I'll be shocked if you don't give it a "meh" rating.
    Saw it on IMAX today. Highly recommended-both the film and the format.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Loved Dunkirk. Solid A-

Would have been an A, but they hired a boy band front man as one of the actors, despite the fact that he was actually pretty good.

Minimal dialogue, minimal character development, disjointed plot/timeline. That sounds like all negatives, but Nolan really made all that work.

Comment

• Saw Dunkirk. Very good film. Nolan did well with an event that is tough to make inspiring. I agree with jay that Nolan sucks at sound/dialogue. I think I understood 60% of the dialogue. Maybe that was intentional The film is well worth the price of admission, especially in IMAX.

My biggest annoyance was the four superhero movie trailers that preceded the film. Seriously, someone needs to smack Marvel and D.C. Upside the head. There was even a fifth comic book trailer that was for a tv show called Inhumans. Do people still watch Thor/Avenger/Affleck as Batman movies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          Saw Dunkirk. Very good film. Nolan did well with an event that is tough to make inspiring. I agree with jay that Nolan sucks at sound/dialogue. I think I understood 60% of the dialogue. Maybe that was intentional The film is well worth the price of admission, especially in IMAX.

My biggest annoyance was the four superhero movie trailers that preceded the film. Seriously, someone needs to smack Marvel and D.C. Upside the head. There was even a fifth comic book trailer that was for a tv show called Inhumans. Do people still watch Thor/Avenger/Affleck as Batman movies?

Of course they do.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Loved it (Dunkirk). Cinematography and score were top notch.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Loved it (Dunkirk). Cinematography and score were top notch.

Meh. Zero character development and so many plot holes. Nothing compared to SPR.
              *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                Meh. Zero character development and so many plot holes. Nothing compared to SPR.
                Definitely not better than SPR, but of course I'm an American so that's easy to say.

Spoiler alert: at the end as Tom Hardys character was out of fuel, why didn't he steer out to sea and land near the boats? It's weird that he decided to land on the beach and be captured. Definitely a bone headed move on his part.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Definitely not better than SPR, but of course I'm an American so that's easy to say.

Spoiler alert: at the end as Tom Hardys character was out of fuel, why didn't he steer out to sea and land near the boats? It's weird that he decided to land on the beach and be captured. Definitely a bone headed move on his part.

I wondered the same thing.

Comment

Too many boats in the area? At some point, you are out of options when the fuel is low.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• I liked Dunkirk, despite the volume control set at 11 throughout (with the bass knob set at around 19), and my inability to understand about half of the dialogue. The visuals were outstanding and the movie needs to seen more as an experience than as a plot- or character-driven story.

I'll keep thinking about the movie for awhile, which for me is the sign of a strong film. fils and I watched the film at an IMAX in the South of Market area which is a Millennial haven. I wouldn't be surprised if I was the oldest dude in the huge, packed theater, perhaps by 20 years, and that may be why I was focused on age throughout the movie. Fionn Whitehead, who spends more time onscreen than any other star, was only 18 when the movie was shot, and most of the soldiers shown were also very young. It was interesting to see their facial reactions, including the looks of confusion, desperation and despair. And yet perhaps the two most important people in the movie were old guys (Rylance and the text of Churchill's "Never Surrender" speech at the conclusion of the Dunkirk evacuation), staying calm, reassuring those around them, and providing direction when such elements were quickly disappearing from the Army and the general populace.

If Von Rundstedt had moved more quickly, or if the Brits hadn't responded the way they did, it's likely nearly 400,000 soldiers would have been annihilated or imprisoned, with a very probable consequence of England having to "seek terms." WWII would have ended in Europe, since the U.S. wasn't involved at that point. The Germans would have continued their pursuit of atomic weapons unimpeded by war, and the Manhattan Project would likely not have been undertaken until much later, if at all. But thanks to the many hundreds of civilians who answered the call and piloted their own boats into the battle, and to Churchill's stirring call to arms (I loved the humble reading of that speech at the end by the kid who was likely searching for meaning at that point), England fought on, and the world is very different and so much better than what might have been.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                        I liked Dunkirk, despite the volume control set at 11 throughout (with the bass knob set at around 19), and my inability to understand about half of the dialogue. The visuals were outstanding and the movie needs to seen more as an experience than as a plot- or character-driven story.

I'll keep thinking about the movie for awhile, which for me is the sign of a strong film. fils and I watched the film at an IMAX in the South of Market area which is a Millennial haven. I wouldn't be surprised if I was the oldest dude in the huge, packed theater, perhaps by 20 years, and that may be why I was focused on age throughout the movie. Fionn Whitehead, who spends more time onscreen than any other star, was only 18 when the movie was shot, and most of the soldiers shown were also very young. It was interesting to see their facial reactions, including the looks of confusion, desperation and despair. And yet perhaps the two most important people in the movie were old guys (Rylance and the text of Churchill's "Never Surrender" speech at the conclusion of the Dunkirk evacuation), staying calm, reassuring those around them, and providing direction when such elements were quickly disappearing from the Army and the general populace.

If Von Rundstedt had moved more quickly, or if the Brits hadn't responded the way they did, it's likely nearly 400,000 soldiers would have been annihilated or imprisoned, with a very probable consequence of England having to "seek terms." WWII would have ended in Europe, since the U.S. wasn't involved at that point. The Germans would have continued their pursuit of atomic weapons unimpeded by war, and the Manhattan Project would likely not have been undertaken until much later, if at all. But thanks to the many hundreds of civilians who answered the call and piloted their own boats into the battle, and to Churchill's stirring call to arms (I loved the humble reading of that speech at the end by the kid who was likely searching for meaning at that point), England fought on, and the world is very different and so much better than what might have been.
                        You can't help but swell up with American pride with that line "until, in God’s good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                          You can't help but swell up with American pride with that line "until, in God’s good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."
                          It was prophetic. God bless Churchill. He got it.

With our current hindsight, it is kind of shocking to learn how much resistance there was in the US to joining the battle. It took Pearl Harbor to flip the switch.

Comment

It was prophetic. God bless Churchill. He got it.

With our current hindsight, it is kind of shocking to learn how much resistance there was in the US to joining the battle. It took Pearl Harbor to flip the switch.
                            I just barely finished the 23 hour Hardcore History podcast on WW1. I never knew much about that war. But hearing just how awful that was for everyone involved, it doesn't surprise me anyone was reluctant to go into it again. But yeah, sure is good we did it. It's mind boggling to know how vastly different our world would be with just a few minor differences in either of those world wars.

Comment

• The newest Planet of the Apes, whatever it's called. The CGI is amazing. The emotion portrayed in the apes' faces is incredible. And it is an interesting plot.

But, it is way too long for the plot involved. I don't think it was more than 2 hours, but scenes really dragged on. It could have been half an hour shorter.
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Keeping up with the Joneses. We really enjoyed this one. Galifinakis was great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X