No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw Tomb Raider last week. I normally have zero interest in movies based on video games, but I was at Whistler last week and usually hit whatever b-movie is playing in the village. My big takeaway is that the new Lara Croft is hotter than Angelina Jolie (I never saw the last ones). It was meh.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Catching up on Oscar nominees. Get Out was better than expected. Shape of Water was interesting. Really cool feeling and story for most of the movie, but it got a little cliche at the end. Best by far of the year for me is Three Billboards. Wind River I put above the other films on the best picture list (but I've only seen about half).

Comment

• I took my seven year old daughter to see A Wrinkle in Time last weekend. It won't go down as a great piece of filmmaking, I'm sure, but it wasn't nearly as bad as some of the reviews make it out to be. I didn't think it was bad at all, actually. I read the book in 4th or 5th grade and enjoyed it then. My daughter and I both liked the movie.

I did think this piece in CNN was interesting, although regardless of the filmmaker's intent in casting African Americans into some of the lead roles, it didn't come across to me as a political statement. But if some kids see it as a positive to see someone they might relate to because of that, then that's cool.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/09/opini...olton-opinion/
        Last edited by BlueK; 03-19-2018, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          Catching up on Oscar nominees. Get Out was better than expected. Shape of Water was interesting. Really cool feeling and story for most of the movie, but it got a little cliche at the end. Best by far of the year for me is Three Billboards. Wind River I put above the other films on the best picture list (but I've only seen about half).
          Can’t believe you guys waited so long to see Get Out. That’s the real “best movie” of the year.

Shape of Water was unique and interesting but like pretty much every Best Picture Winner (except No Country for Old Men) I don’t think I would ever rewatch it.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
            Shape of Water was unique and interesting but like pretty much every Best Picture Winner (except No Country for Old Men) I don’t think I would ever rewatch it.
            STFU. I've watched Gladiator at least a dozen times.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

I'll still linger awhile if Gladiator is on the TV. It's a solid rewatch.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

That won best picture? How disgusting.
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• OK Gladiator is another that stands up to the “I would rewatch this if I stumble across it on cable in 15 years” test.

From that standpoint Moonlight is an epic fail even though it was OK to watch once.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                    AA must be a "Shape of Water" fan...

What's not to like? Solid cinematography, solid score, above average acting.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                      Agree. Traffic should have won.

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                      AA must be a "Shape of Water" fan...

What's not to like? Solid cinematography, solid score, above average acting.
                      Maybe AA noticed that an extra spoke some Latin wrong!

L39LqS9.jpg
                      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Love that movie so much.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Coco: We rented and watched it with my 6 yr old daughter. We all loved it. We liked it enough that my wife and I are working on culturally appropriating some Day of the Dead sentimentality and using it in our family traditions.
                          Last edited by snowcat; 03-29-2018, 12:52 PM.
                          One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                          SU

Comment

• Originally posted by snowcat View Post
                            Coco: We rented watched it with my 6 yr old daughter. We all loved it. We liked it enough that my wife and I are working on culturally appropriating some Day of the Dead sentimentality and using it in our family traditions.
                            some people here are heartless losers who didn’t like it. which reminds me, gotta update my shitlist.
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by snowcat View Post
                              Coco: We rented watched it with my 6 yr old daughter. We all loved it. We liked it enough that my wife and I are working on culturally appropriating some Day of the Dead sentimentality and using it in our family traditions.
                              Bought it on Amazon Instant Video the other day. Plan to watch it with the kids this weekend.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                some people here are heartless losers who didn’t like it. which reminds me, gotta update my shitlist.
                                Still have not seen it. I will let you know if I belong on the list or not.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X