Page 131 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131
Results 3,901 to 3,919 of 3919

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

Having now read through the IMDB page, it sounds like the odds of Gilroy's having seen it are a bit low. I had never heard of it. With reason, it turns out. Never been released in domestic format.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Your review caused me to go back and find what I wrote about it when it first came out. Sorry to quote myself, but as long as we're discussing the movie....
    I always thought Will Forte and Fred Armisen were underrated on SNL, especially Forte. It's nice to see them having good post-SNL careers.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Kingsmen: The Secret Service. What an utterly charming movie. It's rated R so we had to see it as part of a "Valentine Date." Kids not allowed along.

I regret that I am not so familiar with Brit accents that I can truly appreciate the transformation of our young Eggsy. And it took me a while to pick up on the class undertones of the movie. I just thought Eggsy looked very american, not that he was representative of a lower class hooligan strata. Ahaha.

The movie was quite derivitive, but I'm okay with that because it borrowed from my favorite movies of the past. A strong slice of Tarantino (Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill mostly) but also Scorsese and maybe some Paul T Anderson. Particularly with their joyous celebration of incredibly violent scenes. Oh yeah, some John Woo too. And the main plot device was stolen from the Stephen King novel
    Spoiler for Book name hidden so as not to give away the plot.:
    Cell

I could have done without the stark references to anal sex at the end of the movie-- up to then it was a fun ride. It also did Obama's image no favors. And there was a huge zit on actor Taron Eggerton's neck that was covered with a flesh covered patch that was not well blended and every time Eggsy had a close up shot it would bug me.

Speaking of derivitive, there was a joke about My Fair Lady and related movies that came after it. The punchline of the joke bugged me a little, and after thinking about it, I guess the director wasn't confident in the audience enough to use "Pygmalian" as the punchline. Although the whole metaphor of the My Fair Lady story didn't escape my sharp-as-a-wet-noodle notice.

If you go to the movie, could someone please do me a favor? I know that some of you instinctually count the number of bullets coming out of a gun in the movies and I am interested in seeing how many came out of a main character's gun in the church. You will know what I mean when the scene starts.

One last tidbit: Mark Hamill is in this movie. Try to guess which character he plays. I would have never guessed.
    I thought the movie was hilarious and, as you say, charming. I did not count the bullets in the church scene (not something I instinctively do, and I hadn't read your post because I don't like spoilers for movies I intend to see) but I had a very similar thought as he fired at least 20 rounds before he had to grab someone else's gun. There were two elderly ladies sitting directly in front of me, and they were both apoplectic during the church scene. It made an already funny scene even funnier.

Also, it will come as no surprise to you that I thought the anal sex joke was funny (Your above play on words about sex/anal sex was also funny, FTR).

SLJ screws up the lithp a couple times, forgetting to th the second s in a word. He was great, but it felt an awful lot like he was still one of those ethereal Capital One commercials for some reason.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    ...I did not count the bullets in the church scene (not something I instinctively do, and I hadn't read your post because I don't like spoilers for movies I intend to see) but I had a very similar thought as he fired at least 20 rounds before he had to grab someone else's gun.
    Early on in the church scene, I thought I saw him do a quick clip change. Perhaps he didn't, but it was enough to make me remember KL's question about the ammo. I was about to start counting at that point but I got distracted by everyone around me reacting very loudly to what they were seeing.

Despite the hundreds (!) of murders in the movie, I can think of only one victim whose death I would have truly mourned. Of course, they're all Heavenly Father's children so I guess I should have more compassion. And I found Jackson's lisp a bit distracting, even annoying. He's still always good, though.

Sammy Jackson said he was chanelling the menace of Mike Tyson for the role. You know, a baby voice and a lisp until he goes all medieval on your a$$. I just think that he's played this character so many times that he could come up with nothing better.

Speaking of Capital One, every time I watch Raiann Wilson's new series Backstrom and Dennis Haysbert enters the scene, I think that they've gone to commercial. Its really freaky when the commercial break comes on and they play the Allstate Commercial.

dennis-haysbert-2-sized.jpg

Does anyone remember when Dennis Haysbert did the BYU Football commercial?

Does anyone remember when Dennis Haysbert did the BYU Football commercial?
    Is there a link? I don't remember it. I do remember his little bro catching a Bosco pass for a long TD against Pitt, the start of something truly wonderful.

Virunga - an Oscar nominated documentary on the unrest in eastern Congo involving a european oil company that appears to be funding a militant rebel group to help them gain access to Virunga national park, one of the last (if not THE last) known habitats of mountain gorillas, to conduct oil exploration. Pretty fascinating story. At times it wants to veer into ultra-liberal conservationist propaganda (refusing to contemplate that it might be possible to extract oil in a responsible way without killing all wildlife), but overall I would say it avoids becoming just about that.

Personally, I thought Virunga was much better (and much more important) than CITIZENFOUR, which is almost certain to win the Oscar. It's available on Netflix if anyone is interested in that kind of stuff.

We rented Lucy last night. The idea was good but they failed pulling it off. They just took it to far.

Whiplash. This has been hyped so much that I tried to watch it with low expectations, figuring there was no way it could live up to that hype. Seemed like a fairly predictable plot based on the trailer. I loved it. Some nice twists at the end.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Outsider looking in Blueintheface's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UVACoug View Post
    Virunga - an Oscar nominated documentary on the unrest in eastern Congo involving a european oil company that appears to be funding a militant rebel group to help them gain access to Virunga national park, one of the last (if not THE last) known habitats of mountain gorillas, to conduct oil exploration. Pretty fascinating story. At times it wants to veer into ultra-liberal conservationist propaganda (refusing to contemplate that it might be possible to extract oil in a responsible way without killing all wildlife), but overall I would say it avoids becoming just about that.

Personally, I thought Virunga was much better (and much more important) than CITIZENFOUR, which is almost certain to win the Oscar. It's available on Netflix if anyone is interested in that kind of stuff.
    I watched this yesterday as well. I did enjoy it though I'm left with the sense that without interdiction by the international aid community the exploitation of the remaining resources in the area is inevitable.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    We rented Lucy last night.
    Jeez, how many times can Luc Besson resurrect La Femme Nikita? Let me count the ways he creates female characters brutally victimized by men who then grow extraordinarily strong and open up a can of whoop on their male dominators:

Le Femme Nikita
    Point of No Return
    Leon: The Professional
    The Fifth Element
    The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc
    Bandidas (x 2!)
    Columbiana
    Lucy

John Wick. I liked it for what it was: a simple revenge flick. Only needed a couple of minutes of back story, and it went from there. A decent role for Keanu Reeves. I'd give it a B minus.

Jeez, how many times can Luc Besson resurrect La Femme Nikita? Let me count the ways he creates female characters brutally victimized by men who then grow extraordinarily strong and open up a can of whoop on their male dominators:

Le Femme Nikita
    Point of No Return
    Leon: The Professional
    The Fifth Element
    The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc
    Bandidas (x 2!)
    Columbiana
    Lucy
    If I hear Lucy is as good as The Professional or The Fifth Element, then I'd consider watching it. I assume Gary Oldman is in it.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

.........................__0.............0
    ...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
    .....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

A Most Wanted Man - Competing German intelligence agencies track and scheme to use a Chechen immigrant recently (and illegally) arrived in Hamburg. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is the head of the agency the film follows; Rachel McAdams is the Chechen's human rights/immigration lawyer; Willem Dafoe is a banker who gets roped in. Well made and well acted, but like all adaptations of le Carre's novels (and the novels themselves), it left me a bit cold. A good movie, but I wouldn't push anyone to go out of their way to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I thought the movie was hilarious and, as you say, charming. I did not count the bullets in the church scene (not something I instinctively do, and I hadn't read your post because I don't like spoilers for movies I intend to see) but I had a very similar thought as he fired at least 20 rounds before he had to grab someone else's gun.
    Maybe the guys that supplied those very explosive lighter hand grenades and the rather handy umbrellas maybe also picked up a few 20 round mags for their agents.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -Leonard Nimoy's final tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Armenag View Post
    A Most Wanted Man - Competing German intelligence agencies track and scheme to use a Chechen immigrant recently (and illegally) arrived in Hamburg. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is the head of the agency the film follows; Rachel McAdams is the Chechen's human rights/immigration lawyer; Willem Dafoe is a banker who gets roped in. Well made and well acted, but like all adaptations of le Carre's novels (and the novels themselves), it left me a bit cold. A good movie, but I wouldn't push anyone to go out of their way to see it.
    Exactly how I felt. Except that I loved PSH's acting.

watched whiplash last night. pretty good, i guess. i'm glad it ended how it did instead of waxing sentimental.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

McFarland, USA. As one would expect, it's predictable and sentimental, but it was still a surprisingly pleasant couple of hours. If nothing else, it made me want to give anyone who works years in the fields a very short pathway to citizenship. Nasty work.

Kingsman - Loved it.