No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford's recent explanation as to how we got to the moon is totally bizarre. And the soundtrack makes no sense. And I'm not sure what it has to do with trucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
      We went to "Free Solo" this past weekend, the climb of Alex Honnald up El Capitan. This was one of the most enjoyable things I've seen in a theater in a long time. The film looks at his life growing up and his life outside of climbing, very unique and really emotionally dead person but I think you'd almost have to be to take the risk that he does. The climb itself takes up very little of the movie but it's very nerve racking even knowing that he makes it. The preparation for the climb was really interesting, 31 pitches and thousands of moves were rehearsed and thought through in order to make it. I think it's probably the greatest athletic achievement in my lifetime.
      A very strong agreement with everything you've written here. I almost didn't see it (and the missus passed) because the pucker factor is off the charts. But knowing he makes it helps a lot and the cinematography is beautifully done. The level of training and practice is mind-boggling; the guy knows literally every crack, notch, edge, etc., and every move he's going to make, up the entire 3,200' face of El Capitan. I don't understand the mindset of those who climb huge walls, even with a rope, let alone those who free solo, but it's fascinating to get to know them a bit. A very enjoyable, if very tense, night at the movies. An Oscar nominee for sure.

Comment

• Has anyone seen Bohemian Rhapsody? I’m traveling for work and debating between Queen and Hawks/Pistons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
          Has anyone seen Bohemian Rhapsody? I’m traveling for work and debating between Queen and Hawks/Pistons.
          My wife saw it yesterday with some girlfriends. She loved it. If you’re a fan of Freddy Mercury you’ll enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
            My wife saw it yesterday with some girlfriends. She loved it. If you’re a fan of Freddy Mercury you’ll enjoy it.
            I saw the movie last night and here’s my take: if you’re a student of rock history or a huge Queen fan, you’ll find yourself very frustrated by the film and all its musical and historical inaccuracies. If you just want to see a flamboyant film with lots of music, you’ll like it well enough.

Comment

I saw the movie last night and here’s my take: if you’re a student of rock history or a huge Queen fan, you’ll find yourself very frustrated by the film and all its musical and historical inaccuracies. If you just want to see a flamboyant film with lots of music, you’ll like it well enough.
              #humblebrag
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Has anyone seen Bohemian Rhapsody? I’m traveling for work and debating between Queen and Hawks/Pistons.
                Interesting. I thought you lived in a city with movie theaters.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  #humblebrag
                  Not remotely. I’m neither a student nor a fan, but I recognized some inaccuracies. For example, BR recharted in the early 90s because of the release of a certain most excellent film—-not because of the unfortunate loss of Queen’s lead singer.

Comment

Not remotely. I’m neither a student nor a fan, but I recognized some inaccuracies. For example, BR recharted in the early 90s because of the release of a certain most excellent film—-not because of the unfortunate loss of Queen’s lead singer.
                    #humblebrag
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      A very strong agreement with everything you've written here. I almost didn't see it (and the missus passed) because the pucker factor is off the charts. But knowing he makes it helps a lot and the cinematography is beautifully done. The level of training and practice is mind-boggling; the guy knows literally every crack, notch, edge, etc., and every move he's going to make, up the entire 3,200' face of El Capitan. I don't understand the mindset of those who climb huge walls, even with a rope, let alone those who free solo, but it's fascinating to get to know them a bit. A very enjoyable, if very tense, night at the movies. An Oscar nominee for sure.

We saw it last night. Beautifully shot. Well worth the price of a ticket. Alex Honnald is a very interesting dude. Mrs. NWC, who works in special ed, kept whispering 'Asperger's' to me. He certainly has some of those qualities.

We watched it with my son and his friend, whose dad has climbed Half Dome a few times. Of course, he's done it with ropes and taken a couple of days each time. That used to sound incredible, until we watched this movie. I'm not sure what Honnald will do now that he's achieved this.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Saw this last night at a preview and really enjoyed it.

I was a little worried about how they would portray foster care and adopting kids from foster care. But in all honesty - if you allow for some element of Hollywood creative license - I think they nailed it.

Everything from orientation meetings filled with a combination of families who have had a spiritual experience, those expecting to recreate "The Blind Side", and infertile couples to some of the reactions and behaviors of the kids themselves and support and understanding (or the lack thereof) of relatives when you decide to do it. I could nitpick some elements that aren't exactly accurate as far as the process and court, etc., but overall very well done.

Good show with an awesome balance of laugh out loud moments combined with those that make you go "hmmmm." Saw lots of adoptive dads with allergies in the theater last night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post

Saw this last night at a preview and really enjoyed it.

I was a little worried about how they would portray foster care and adopting kids from foster care. But in all honesty - if you allow for some element of Hollywood creative license - I think they nailed it.

Everything from orientation meetings filled with a combination of families who have had a spiritual experience, those expecting to recreate "The Blind Side", and infertile couples to some of the reactions and behaviors of the kids themselves and support and understanding (or the lack thereof) of relatives when you decide to do it. I could nitpick some elements that aren't exactly accurate as far as the process and court, etc., but overall very well done.

Good show with an awesome balance of laugh out loud moments combined with those that make you go "hmmmm." Saw lots of adoptive dads with allergies in the theater last night.
                          Is that a common thing? I know BYU has benefited from athletic kids being adopted by Cougar fans (Kehl is the one I'm thinking of in particular), but do parents plan/look for that from the outset?
                          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                            Is that a common thing? I know BYU has benefited from athletic kids being adopted by Cougar fans (Kehl is the one I'm thinking of in particular), but do parents plan/look for that from the outset?
                            I don't know that it's a HUGE thing, to think of adopting a future D1 athlete. But it more plays on the unrealistic expectations of potential adoptive parents. Which can be a thing.

Adopted kids sometimes have a "thing", where they fantasize about where they came from. They are long lost princesses who are going to find their bio-family and discover that they come from "royalty" (which could mean just a super rich someone, or a famous athlete, politician, actor, etc.)

Adoptive families sometimes have a "thing" where they find untapped potential in a kid that no one else saw. So the adoptive kid goes on to be a star athlete, politician, actor, doctor, Indian chief - you get the idea.

And I wouldn't say it's common. I would say it is common for all parents to have some degree of hope or expectations for their kids. Adoptive parents are no different. But sometimes their expectations can be based on the fantasy of where the kids come from and, like I said, finding their potential. And when that becomes their focus, then it can create problems.

It is true that when The Blind Side came out, there was a huge bump in people inquiring about adopting through foster care.

It's just funny in this particular movie because the character is so blatant about it. "I'd like to be matched with a 15 year-old athlete who is on the varsity team and has division 1 athletic talent. Oh yeah, and I'd like him to be Black."

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                              kyle van noy and brandon davies too
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• The Green Book is one of the best movies of the year. It's based on the experience of a NYC bouncer at the Copacabana who spends two months driving a black concert pianist around the midwest and deep south in 1962. Mahershala Ali is, as always, very good and Viggo Mortensen is almost unrecognizable, in body and voice, as a Bronx goomba. There will be some Oscar nominations for this one. I'll say no more; just see it.

Comment

Working...
                                X