The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
    Saw that this morning and loved it. Found it kind of inspiring, actually. One of the better movies I've seen in the last couple years.
    I saw it yesterday, too. I really enjoyed it, and my wife, who went along somewhat unwillingly, enjoyed it as well. I'm glad you posted this, PAC, because I don't think I would have heard about it otherwise.
    Not that, sickos.

Comment

• The Big Chill - Finally saw this one. Not bad, but without the great soundtrack, would it have entered the cultural consciousness in any lasting or meaningful way? 5 minutes after it ended I could hardly remember any individual scenes, lines, or characters.

El Secreto de sus Ojos - Liked this one, though I didn't fall in love with it. But, I would definitely recommend it. An assistant prosecutor deals with unrequited love for his boss and a case that haunts him over the years. Ricardo Darin is great as the lead. He has to be one of the most reliably good actors in the business. Kind of glad he never went to Hollywood.

The Nice Guys - Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe as PIs of up and down competence and efficacy. It could afford to have some of the run time shaved off, but on the whole it was a lot of fun. Great script with some very funny dialogue. It was a little sleazier than expected, if that matters to anyone.

Comment

• We saw The Abolitionists because we thought that it was the movie The Free State of Jones. (Both were sort of about freeing somebody). It turned out to be a local Utah product about rescuing kids from the sex trade (and also selling kids for adoption too). They didn't ever mention mormonism, but they did mention that the main guy was very religious. It was medium interesting, for a documentary about a dark subject.

I was very distracted when during the movie's climax--a big white slavery bust in Cartagena involving underage girls--the main protagonist was wearing a tshirt with Bam Bam's BBQ emblazoned across it.

Comment

• neighbors 2. funny.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
            neighbors 2. funny.
            Replying to this post is almost more effort than I'm willing to give a sequel to that abomination. How you garnered the strength is beyond me.
            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• Captain America Civil War - Ugh, I should have stayed home. I must have missed several other Marvel movies since there's now more Avengers that I don't know than those that I know. Way too many people in these things. And, did I miss a Spiderman movie somewhere? in fact, Spiderman was the only interesting thing about that movie. Any why do they punch each other so much when they fight? It never hurts them but they keep punching and punching. I don't get it. I also don't understand Black Widow. She can beat up 5 guys with guns and she does it by jumping at them and wrapping her legs around their necks. Why don't they shoot? I ended up checking the GS/OKC score every five minutes since I was bored and thankfully got home in time to watch the entire second half. Marvel seems to be mailing it in.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I love Moliere movie reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  Captain America Civil War - Ugh, I should have stayed home. I must have missed several other Marvel movies since there's now more Avengers that I don't know than those that I know. Way too many people in these things. And, did I miss a Spiderman movie somewhere? in fact, Spiderman was the only interesting thing about that movie. Any why do they punch each other so much when they fight? It never hurts them but they keep punching and punching. I don't get it. I also don't understand Black Widow. She can beat up 5 guys with guns and she does it by jumping at them and wrapping her legs around their necks. Why don't they shoot? I ended up checking the GS/OKC score every five minutes since I was bored and thankfully got home in time to watch the entire second half. Marvel seems to be mailing it in.
                  Um... duh- so they can get choked out by Scarlet Johansen's thighs, clearly.
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                    Um... duh- so they can get choked out by Scarlet Johansen's thighs, clearly.
                    There are other things on her person that I'd rather have choke me out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      There are other things on her person that I'd rather have choke me out

Her belt? hmmm
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• We enjoyed Popstar, but it's not a movie we'll be talking up at church. Language and nudity earn its R-rating (an extended scene in which a male fan wants his member autographed by the star had Mrs. PAC lol'ing, although she remains very embarrassed by that). It features dozens of funny cameos, but some were lost on us due to our advanced years (I'm certain Justin Bieber is getting ripped throughout), and the lyrics to some of the songs are hilarious. The movie's not as good as Spinal Tap (again, may be showing my age here), but there are still at least a couple dozen solid laughs. And unlike some comedies, this doesn't run out of gas at the end, finishing strong. The trailer is a fair rendering of the entire movie--if it offends or bores, stay away.
                        [YOUTUBE]AHC7guX-FCk[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

• I loved Popstar too. I even got the "soundtrack" on itunes. hahaha. The only thing that fell flat was the "live" rendition of the Bin Laden song, b/c the digital short video that came out a couple weeks ago on Fred Armisen's episode of SNL was pretty exquisite. There were plenty of Bieber references (shit in the Ann Frank bathroom), but lots of rapper references as well (Macklemore comes to mind w the Equal Rights song). It's pretty standard Lonely Island fare and that's pretty good.

Comment

• We went to The Nice Guys last weekend and I expected more. The style of the movie, set in the 70's in LA, was cool but needed more laughs or a better plot.

Comment

• I just saw The Gift. Not the early 2000s movie that caused an argument between Harold and Kumar regarding Katie Holmes' boobs, but the movie that came out last summer.

I'd say Jason Bateman's character had just about one of the worst days possible that last day outside of watching a close family member die or being physically maimed.
                              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                                I just saw The Gift. Not the early 2000s movie that caused an argument between Harold and Kumar regarding Katie Holmes' boobs, but the movie that came out last summer.

I'd say Jason Bateman's character had just about one of the worst days possible that last day outside of watching a close family member die or being physically maimed.
                                I loved the early 2000's The Gift, but I love anything with Cate Blanchett...she's sneaky sexy. When I was married she was my Hall Pass. My wife's was Benjamin Bratt.
                                "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Working...
                                X