The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    Yesterday. Great idea for a movie. I'm bummed the ratings are just so so, but I think I'll take it in.
    We both liked it a lot--entertaining from start to finish, including a reasonably good ending despite the inherent difficulties given the premise. I'd expect this to be much more popular among those who were teenagers in the mid '60s.

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
    I thought the first half was good and then it became a mess. I was hoping for better. One thing, in the trailer they had Jack sitting on James Cordons couch singing a song and then he says he has two gentlemen here that claim they wrote the songs and it shows four legs, in the movie it didn't show him singing to anybody on the couch and it showed the four legs but it never did anything with that part after that. Did I fall asleep for five minutes and miss something?
    You may have...
    Spoiler for don't read if you haven't seen the movie but intend to do so...:
    Before the two persons are revealed, Jack wakes up. He was growing increasingly fearful he was going to be exposed as a fraud and the sequence underscored his growing anxiety.

And I liked (but can appreciate the reasons one might dislike) John Lennon's appearance near the end. I felt like Jack did, and would have been thrilled to see John was never gunned own. I'd ask for a hug, too. Anyone catch the upside-down name of the row boat they sat on for their chat? Imagine. I thought it was a nice touch.
    Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 07-02-2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
      A Toy Story 4- Pretty good, standard Pixar fare.
      Took the grandkids last weekend - I enjoyed it for what it was.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Spiderman-- I think I was irritable when I saw this because some of the little plot pieces during the first act bugged me to almost audibly blurting out "oh f* you" during the movie. However, Jake Gyllenhaal is awesome in this as Mysterio. Mysterio's one of the O.G. villians from the original Stan Lee comics, but I didn't remember anything about him. That's probably for the best, because I don't think what happened here had anything to do with the comics. Having said that, it was a pretty cool third act and one of the better 'comic book-y' sequences I've seen in these movies. Fun time.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Midsommar. WTF, holy F. Ari Aster is the king of pagan/occult films. This one will have me thinking for awhile. Warning, frontal nudity and strange sex scenes.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            Midsommar. WTF, holy F. Ari Aster is the king of pagan/occult films. This one will have me thinking for awhile. Warning, frontal nudity and strange sex scenes.
            I've been thinking about going to this. I like his movies.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Saw Yesterday. Not a great movie but really fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                I've been thinking about going to this. I like his movies.
                It’s very good.

Comment

• Aladdin - I went with extremely low expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe that's because we saw it for free. It was more of its own movie than I thought it would be. My kids had a good time, which was the goal.
                  "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Looking forward to the new Tarantino movie. Initial reviews look good.

Comment

Looking forward to the new Tarantino movie. Initial reviews look good.
                      Yes, this looks good. I'm a sucker for DiCaprio films.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Looking forward to the new Tarantino movie. Initial reviews look good.
                        Tarantino's automatic. You know it always has to be the potential to be amazing, but always entertaining at minimum.

Comment

• I took a long lunch today and took in The Art of Self-Defense. I went into this completely blind, having never seen a trailer or anything. I had no idea what it was about, other than any speculations the title may have inspired. I laughed a lot. I cringed a lot. It's campy. It's irreverent. It's dark. It's like the first half of Napolean Dynamite crossed with the last half of Kick Ass. All in all, I have to say I enjoyed it. It's a little heavy-handed in its portrayal of and subsequent attacks on toxic masculinity, but I can take that with a grain assault and enjoy the movie for what it was.
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                            Midsommar. WTF, holy F. Ari Aster is the king of pagan/occult films. This one will have me thinking for awhile. Warning, frontal nudity and strange sex scenes.
                            A friend talked me into going to this (definitely not one my wife would see) and it was super weird but I liked it.

Kind of cool to have a horror film take place mostly in bright daylight.

Comment

• Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Kinda disappointing. Some good moments especially the last hour where the pace picked up a little. But overall, just not a good flow and not enough of a story.

Comment

• I watched the Departed. Finished it because I promised my son I would. Last film I watched at his insistence, There Will be Blood, I loved. The Departed was just terrible. Sad to see all those tropes from old gangster films I loved so shabby and poorly used. And it won best picture? Worst best picture ever except Braveheart.
                                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
                                X