The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    My visiting dad wanted to see The Other Side of Heaven, so we queued it up. It was my first time seeing it, and it was awful. Sorry Kolipoki.

Still, better outcome than when we watched The Fighting Preacher on Sunday night. I took exception to the end credits where it says that he and his wife served the longest continuous mission at 25 years. My grandparents served from when they got married to when my Grandmother died. Then my grandfather served as a labor missionary by himself to the day he died. They "founded" about 6-7 branches, now wards. But the Church doesn't have records of brown missionaries. I believe the fight started when someone mentioned white privilege.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

My visiting dad wanted to see The Other Side of Heaven, so we queued it up. It was my first time seeing it, and it was awful. Sorry Kolipoki.

Still, better outcome than when we watched The Fighting Preacher on Sunday night. I took exception to the end credits where it says that he and his wife served the longest continuous mission at 25 years. My grandparents served from when they got married to when my Grandmother died. Then my grandfather served as a labor missionary by himself to the day he died. They "founded" about 6-7 branches, now wards. But the Church doesn't have records of brown missionaries. I believe the fight started when someone mentioned white privilege.
      What do you mean the church doesn't have records of brown missionaries? This is a sincere question. My wife's family (self-described 'brown spots') had several very long-serving missionaries along the lines that you describe. Did the church not keep records of this? I find that claim very surprising given the church's penchant for keeping records of just about everything in great detail.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
        What do you mean the church doesn't have records of brown missionaries? This is a sincere question. My wife's family (self-described 'brown spots') had several very long-serving missionaries along the lines that you describe. Did the church not keep records of this? I find that claim very surprising given the church's penchant for keeping records of just about everything in great detail.
        I think she's more just making a wry observation about the claim in the movie and how something is seemingly only noteworthy if it was achieved by the white members. Of course the Church keeps records, but what does that matter if nobody cares to consult them when making a claim like that?
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
          I think she's more just making a wry observation about the claim in the movie and how something is seemingly only noteworthy if it was achieved by the white members. Of course the Church keeps records, but what does that matter if nobody cares to consult them when making a claim like that?
          Makes sense. But I was a bit surprised because it seems like she is trying fairly hard to make a point about race that is likely more a factor of bragging by a couple than a factor of racism.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

So many opportunities to be offended.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I usually find church type movies to be lame.

Comment

Makes sense. But I was a bit surprised because it seems like she is trying fairly hard to make a point about race that is likely more a factor of bragging by a couple than a factor of racism.
                I think she is making the statement with a wink and the post was meant to provide a humorous observation, mostly.

Comment

I think she is making the statement with a wink and the post was meant to provide a humorous observation, mostly.
                  Yea, I get that. I was just a bit surprised by the premise of the joke and wondered if there was any basis for it. BUt you are a very good spokesman for her and have cleared up any misunderstanding. Thanks.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Yea, I get that. I was just a bit surprised by the premise of the joke and wondered if there was any basis for it. BUt you are a very good spokesman for her and have cleared up any misunderstanding. Thanks.
                    I didn't want to speak out of turn lest you found my interpretation to be that she was offended and seeking justice/'trying fairly hard to make a point about race' when I'm not her- just giving you my take. That's why I said "I think," and not "She means," but go ahead and be your usual dickhead self.

Comment

I didn't want to speak out of turn lest you found my interpretation to be that she was offended and seeking justice/'trying fairly hard to make a point about race' when I'm not her- just giving you my take. That's why I said "I think," and not "She means," but go ahead and be your usual dickhead self.
                      Lol. thanks.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                        I usually find church type movies to be lame.
                        You're not alone!
                        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• 1.jpg
                          3.jpg
                          Last edited by Katy Lied; 01-08-2020, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• 4.jpg

Comment

[ATTACH]9936[/ATTACH]
                              Fascinating. I had not seen these before. Do you have a link or a suggestion for further reading?
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Hey KL, my grandfather served a 4-yr mission in Tonga/Somoa in the 1920's.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X