The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
    JoJo Rabbit. Hilarious, heartwarming and well acted. All y'all should go see it.
    Saw it this evening. It's probably the most fun and entertaining movie we've seen in the theater this year. or at least as fun as a movie about the final days of WWII, Nazis and the Gestapo can be. The actors, including the 11-year-old star and Sam Rockwell (great as a war-weary commandant of the local Hitler Youth), are all outstanding. I was smitten from the opening credits, which featured the Beatles singing "I Want to Hold Your Hand" in German over various clips from late 30's Germany showing rapturous fans of Hitler, much like Beatles fans in 1964. It's directed by Taika Waititi, who also directed The Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and who also stars as an imaginary Adolf Hitler in this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      Saw it this evening. It's probably the most fun and entertaining movie we've seen in the theater this year. or at least as fun as a movie about the final days of WWII, Nazis and the Gestapo can be. The actors, including the 11-year-old star and Sam Rockwell (great as a war-weary commandant of the local Hitler Youth), are all outstanding. I was smitten from the opening credits, which featured the Beatles singing "I Want to Hold Your Hand" in German over various clips from late 30's Germany showing rapturous fans of Hitler, much like Beatles fans in 1964. It's directed by Taika Waititi, who also directed The Hunt for the Wilderpeople, and who also stars as an imaginary Adolf Hitler in this one.
      Taika also portrays Hitler in the film and also directed Thor Ragnorak. Taika is half Maori and half jewish and fully hilarious.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Midway is absolutely top notch.

It belongs up there with the great war films.

If you were looking for even more evidence that Hollywood types and their paid-for movie critics hate men, this is it.
        We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
          Midway is absolutely top notch.

If you were looking for even more evidence that Hollywood types and their paid-for movie critics hate men, this is it.
          Yes, Midway is great. Before watching I was wondering how they could top the 1976 version. They blew it out of the water.

Ford vs. Ferrari is a good one to see right now as well. Especially if you like auto racing and are a Carroll Shelby fan.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            Yes, Midway is great. Before watching I was wondering how they could top the 1976 version. They blew it out of the water.

Ford vs. Ferrari is a good one to see right now as well. Especially if you like auto racing and are a Carroll Shelby fan.
            I thought the first Midway was pretty weak (lots of inane dialogue, especially from Charlton Heston), but other friends have also strongly endorsed the new version so I'll likely take it, in part because I've heard the battle ends well.

And Ford vs Ferrari is VERY good. Christian Bale turns in another fine performance and Matt Damon didn't bug me at all, which he can do sometimes. Per my law partner, who is a Ferrari and Ford GT enthusiast (we have both in the back half of our office ), they got the history pretty much right, and it's a very interesting story. I always like seeing movies with a heavy nostalgia element (the music, TWA, PanAm, Coppertone ads, etc.).

Comment

I thought the first Midway was pretty weak (lots of inane dialogue, especially from Charlton Heston), but other friends have also strongly endorsed the new version so I'll likely take it, in part because I've heard the battle ends well.

And Ford vs Ferrari is VERY good. Christian Bale turns in another fine performance and Matt Damon didn't bug me at all, which he can do sometimes. Per my law partner, who is a Ferrari and Ford GT enthusiast (we have both in the back half of our office ), they got the history pretty much right, and it's a very interesting story. I always like seeing movies with a heavy nostalgia element (the music, TWA, PanAm, Coppertone ads, etc.).
              Carolla’s documentary The 24 Hour War is now on Netflix, and is fantastic. Ive been looking forward to FvF since I watched the doc a couple years ago.

Interestingly, Netflix passed the doc 3 years ago (Carolla thinks for the same reasons his films and docs never make the film festivals—his politics) but came scrambling back to Carolla once the FvF hype started.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I went and saw Ford v. Ferrari yesterday. I am not a car guy at all...and I loved the film. Bale is absolutely fantastic. That movie was so much fun.

Comment

I also enjoyed it very much, Woody Harrelson's Nimitz was much better than I anticipated. The CGI was a bit much, esp in the Pearl Harbor scenes, but for the most part the history was solid. I liked that they included Hollywood director John Ford in a couple of scenes. His Midway Documentary is a must see.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Saw Midway.

It was enjoyable. Much better than Pearl Harbor, a show that many thought it would be similar to.... The aerial battles were well shot and a lot of fun. I did NOT like the actor who played Dick Best. He seemed to be a British dude trying his darndest to sound like a 1940's american tough guy. Kinda bugged me. Woody was fine, but still didn't feel right.

Also saw Playing With Fire with the kids. They loved it. It was formulaic blah blah, but had some laughs.

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                      I also enjoyed it very much, Woody Harrelson's Nimitz was much better than I anticipated. The CGI was a bit much, esp in the Pearl Harbor scenes, but for the most part the history was solid. I liked that they included Hollywood director John Ford in a couple of scenes. His Midway Documentary is a must see.
                      I was reading my Mom's uncle's obituary, he was a B-24 pilot in the Pacific. He was awarded a number of medals and he somehow got to know Chester Nimitz, apparently well enough to get him to speak at the Alameda Kiwanis back in 50s or 60s.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

lol, what are you on about?

Hacksaw Ridge, Dunkirk, Fury, Lone Survivor, American Sniper, Zero Dark Thirty and Darkest Hour all came out in the last few years and got great reviews. Men aren't being picked on if a movie you liked didn't get the rating you think it merited.
                        Last edited by frank ryan; 11-16-2019, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                          I was reading my Mom's uncle's obituary, he was a B-24 pilot in the Pacific. He was awarded a number of medals and he somehow got to know Chester Nimitz, apparently well enough to get him to speak at the Alameda Kiwanis back in 50s or 60s.
                          I'm impressed. Everything I've read about him says he was very humble and very approachable. His sailors and marines looked at him as kind of a grandfather.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Ford v Ferrari is definitely the better of the two. If you have to pick one then it should be this one. The documentary on the 24 hour war is good to watch as a well.

The 1976 version of midway had a lot of original film from the actual war which made it pretty good. The new one is over done in CGI IMHO. I agree with the point about dialogue however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Saw JoJo Rabbit and loved. It packed a bit an emotional wallop that I didn’t expect. Highly recommend it.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                                Saw JoJo Rabbit and loved. It packed a bit an emotional wallop that I didn’t expect. Highly recommend it.
                                Same, though I would say I loved the experience of watching it more than I loved the movie itself, if that makes sense. That movie’s ability to make me burst out laughing one second and then whiplashing to a serious scene is something I haven’t experienced in a long time. Neither Mrs. NWC nor I really knew what to expect going in, but I did have a general idea of some of the parody involved. The whole bizarreness of it all really threw her off, which affected her opinion of it.

Highly recommended. If nothing else, you will not see anything like it for a long time.
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X