Page 155 of 156 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156 LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,650 of 4659

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by venkman View Post
    Star Trek Beyond. The Star Trek reboot movies have been fantastic: Star Trek for people who hate Star Trek, like me. This one was decent, but a bit of a let down compared to the last two.

The story wasn't as compelling and it lacked the great chemistry / relationship building between Kirk and Spock that the first two had. The Bones/Spock buddy angle of this one didn't work very well.
    It was mildly interesting and the new character Jayla is refreshing.
    For those who doubt's right and entitlement to join the Big XII, may he or she lose his or her earthly positions and honors, be incinerated in a furnace in execration rites, capsize and drown at sea, have no successors, receive no tomb or funerary offerings of his or her own, and their bodies may decay because they will starve without sustenance and their bones will perish."

Administrator of the 18th dynasty, Amenhotep, son of Hapu.

Gravity. I guess with all the Oscar nods and my general enjoyment of astronaut movies my expectations were too high. I thought it was ok.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Suicide Squad looks way too nihilistic, not to mention loud and ridiculous, for my tastes, so we went instead to see Hunt for Wilderpeople, a New Zealand movie about a foster kid who ends up on the lam with his foster "uncle." We really enjoyed it (as have 99% of the critics and 92% of the audience on Rotten Tomatoes). It's contrived, but it has a lot of laughs and was a very pleasant experience. ERCougar should definitely see it if he's homesick for the Kiwis. The trailer gives a nice overview--if you enjoy it, see the film; if not, pass. BTW, at the 0:07 mark you can see Goatnapper at work as a lad.

Suicide Squad

Predictable. Waste of Will Smith's acting talent. Still it was entertaining. I liked Harley Quinn's character for obvious reasons, also because I think the actress portrayed crazy so well. I also liked the Joker. It was completely different, but pretty good, IMO.
    Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
    - Andrew Tanenbaum

Real programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween, because Oct 31 == Dec 25.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Suicide Squad looks way too nihilistic, not to mention loud and ridiculous, for my tastes, so we went instead to see Hunt for Wilderpeople, a New Zealand movie about a foster kid who ends up on the lam with his foster "uncle." We really enjoyed it (as have 99% of the critics and 92% of the audience on Rotten Tomatoes). It's contrived, but it has a lot of laughs and was a very pleasant experience. ERCougar should definitely see it if he's homesick for the Kiwis. The trailer gives a nice overview--if you enjoy it, see the film; if not, pass. BTW, at the 0:07 mark you can see Goatnapper at work as a lad.

Yeah, I really want to to see this considering who made it.

I saw Suicide Squad yesterday. Will Smith and Margot Robbie are awesome, I liked Killer Croc. The members of the "suicide squad" were cool, but their handlers were stupid. So stupid. I'm referring to the black lady from "how to get away with murder" and the main soldier dude. Joker was pretty cool, too, acknowledging that Heath Ledger set the bar waaayyy too high and this is a totally different take.

The art direction was pretty awesome as well. To sum it up: Joker, Harley Quinn, Deadshot= cool. The government people= really dumb. I mean, their acting, their script, the whole works-- totally Kind of suffers from what Batman v Superman did, but a little better in the humor department.

So it's a pretty fun movie as long as you don't go in wanting existential catharsis. Don't go if you're one of those people who goes to every Marvel movie and then complains afterward about how you hate comic book movies.
    what'sthenameofthissong?EXPLOSIVO.Don'tknowwhatit' saboutbutit'sgoodtogo.What'sthenameofmygirlfriend? Idon'tknow,butshe'sbuiltliketheshitandshe'sgoodtog ogoshe'sgoodtogo.WearefuledbySatanyeswe'reschooled bySatanFUELEDBYSATANwritingthesetastyriffsjustasfa staswecanSCHOOLEDBYSATANweweretheinventorsofthecos micastralcode.wecometoblowyouaway.wecometoblowyour nosewe'vecometofuckinblowwe'vecometoblowtheshowwe' vecometofuckinblow!youknowit!youknowit!u

Quote Originally Posted by lambdacoug View Post
    Suicide Squad

Predictable. Waste of Will Smith's acting talent. Still it was entertaining. I liked Harley Quinn's character for obvious reasons, also because I think the actress portrayed crazy so well. I also liked the Joker. It was completely different, but pretty good, IMO.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    it's no wild wild west
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Jason Bourne. I'm not even going to warn you about plot reveals because they're all the same and you know it, you poor SOB. Jason Bourne just wants to be left alone, living a quiet existence off the grid. Rogue US Agency digs up his location; a woman is killed. Jason Bourne is chased in Greece; Jason Bourne is chased in Germany; Jason Bourne is chased in England; Jason Bourne is chased in Las Vegas. Jason Bourne does a lot of walking with determined purpose in different locales all over the world, wearing his magical black ball cap that renders him invisible to anyone except when the story demands it. Despite not taking any refresher spycraft courses in the past two decades, Jason Bourne instinctively knows how to wire a bunch of crap, conveniently leaving little digital countdown timers for the anonymous agency people following him, so they know how long they have left to live. The Final Chase Scene takes up 25% of total screen time, starting in some sort of moving vehicle, and always ending on foot. The Final Chase Scene always starts with high powered weapons, and always ends mano-a-mano as good guy and bad guy simultaneously throw down their weapons and engage in fisticuffs. Jason Bourne emerges victorious from the wreckage and slips away into the quiet night.

After watching the movie Eye In The Sky, and seeing all of the international inter-agency collaboration and political consultation and personal angst required for a single kill of a known terrorist who has already strapped on a suicide bomb suit, it's just laughable that a US agency has roving teams of assassins all over the world, operating with impunity and shooting up the streets and causing millions of euros of damage, with nary a congressional inquiry in sight. If you get dragged to see this movie, while away the time by guessing whether the next scene will feature fat Matt Damon, or skinny Matt Damon. Or gazing at the truly lovely female protagonist actress who made wearing 60s clothing so cute in her last movie, The Man From UNCLE.

Last edited by Katy Lied; 08-07-2016 at 09:36 AM.

We saw "Florence Foster Jenkins" today. Meh. If you really love watching Meryl Streep act, you might enjoy this one. I kind of want those two hours back. When I watch a movie I need to find a character I like or care about and I couldn't do that with this one.

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/YZIcytIS2fg

The trailer is better than the movie.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Pete's Dragon

I liked it.
    Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
    - Andrew Tanenbaum

Real programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween, because Oct 31 == Dec 25.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Suicide Squad for Jr's bday with 8 14 year old boys. Margot Robbie has the same impact on men/boys of all ages. Much overheard discussion about how hot she was the remainder of the night.

I went in thinking the SS was just bad guys that went to fight in military conflict, I didn't realize the supernatural or comic book world they lived in. Wasn't good, wasn't bad.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Got sort of dragged to Sausage Party. Exactly as good as I thought it would be.
    what'sthenameofthissong?EXPLOSIVO.Don'tknowwhatit' saboutbutit'sgoodtogo.What'sthenameofmygirlfriend? Idon'tknow,butshe'sbuiltliketheshitandshe'sgoodtog ogoshe'sgoodtogo.WearefuledbySatanyeswe'reschooled bySatanFUELEDBYSATANwritingthesetastyriffsjustasfa staswecanSCHOOLEDBYSATANweweretheinventorsofthecos micastralcode.wecometoblowyouaway.wecometoblowyour nosewe'vecometofuckinblowwe'vecometoblowtheshowwe' vecometofuckinblow!youknowit!youknowit!u

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    everyone i've talked to thought it was hilarious
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Captain has spent most of the last week plotting how he can convince me that LDC won't be upset if I take him to see this.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Captain has spent most of the last week plotting how he can convince me that LDC won't be upset if I take him to see this.
    NO!!

Kingsman - Yikes, that was terrible. I kinda wish I could have those two hours back to do something more entertaining, like installing tile.

13 Hours - Actually pretty well done movie. They balanced the politics really well, taking jabs at HRC without naming her but also showing how dire the situation really was. I still don't fully understand why they were all there in the first place. Typical war/fighting movie where it's heavy on the cheese and soliloquies at the end. It was weird to see Jim Halpert carrying a gun and I kept expecting Dwight to show up at anytime.

Pete's Dragon - Good flick for little kids. I almost fell asleep once but holding the popcorn for the younger ones kept me awake. I was definitely disinterested through most of it but it's not as bad as some of the other kids movies like Ice Age...
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Central Intelligence - Fat, insecure kid grows up to be the Rock; the HS QB he idolized grows up to be Kevin Hart. The Rock is now a CIA agent who ropes Hart's accountant into international intrigue. A bit weirder than I expected. I like the Rock but his character is pretty bizarre. Hart has some funny rants but on the whole it was 5/10 -ish.

Hail, Caesar!- Josh Brolin's 50s Hollywood fixer has to find a kidnapped movie star while dealing with various other issues. Lots of great individual scenes but the movie as a whole never came together for me. Two best scenes: dance sequence with Channing Tatum and Ralph Fiennes trying to coach around a thick accent. Definitely not one of my favorite Coen brother movies but not a total waste of time.

Popstar - Actually pretty funny. Would have been nice if they subverted the actual structure of the film (you can guess every beat within the first 5 or so minutes), but a good number of the individual scenes were funny.

Batman vs. Superman. Just dumb. The only redeeming quality about the movie was watching Ben Affleck put on his grumpy face for two hours. After a while, it became amusing.
    "Remember to double tap"

War Dogs- pretty entertaining. I could watch Jonah Hill in about anything.

Bad Moms-- It was aight. Dumb plot or whatever, but some pretty funny stuff from the lady that played Paul Rudd's campaign manager on Parks and Rec.

War Dogs- pretty entertaining. I could watch Jonah Hill in about anything.

Bad Moms-- It was aight. Dumb plot or whatever, but some pretty funny stuff from the lady that played Paul Rudd's campaign manager on Parks and Rec.
    Bad moms had some great moments. The grocery store scene was hysterical. Of course it followed the same Hollywood recipe of trying to make some kind of moral point. You're a two hour break from reality to give me a few laughs. You're not a f***ing Aesop's fable. Stop trying to preach to me Hollywood comedies. What the hell is wrong with these writers?!

I'm interested in War Dog's. The imdb is 7.3, which means it's more like a 6.5 since that's a first weekend rating which is always inflated. Kind of bummed about that, but it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Bad moms had some great moments. The grocery store scene was hysterical. Of course it followed the same Hollywood recipe of trying to make some kind of moral point. You're a two hour break from reality to give me a few laughs. You're not a f***ing Aesop's fable. Stop trying to preach to me Hollywood comedies. What the hell is wrong with these writers?!

I'm interested in War Dog's. The imdb is 7.3, which means it's more like a 6.5 since that's a first weekend rating which is always inflated. Kind of bummed about that, but it looks good.
    War Dogs was really a fun watch. Looking back, I'm not sure what makes me not rave about it other than I'm always skeptical of "based on true events" movies. It's a good movie with no real satisfying ending. Maybe that's it.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Life sucks. At least it does throughout Hell or High Water, the story of two brothers who rob banks to prevent foreclosure of their family farm. West Texas is shown as a dreary, destitute plain with shuttered businesses and abandoned homes, where the primary theme of billboards is debt relief. Jeff Bridges is the Texas Ranger who pursues the brothers as his retirement date fast approaches. Nobody does world-weary and grizzled better than Bridges (okay, maybe a tie with Tommy Lee Jones in No Country for Old Men), who’s great in this. And Chris Pine shows he’s a better actor than his Captain Kirk might have led one to believe.

Perhaps strangely, the movie helps explain a lot of the support for Donald Trump. There’s a substantial segment of society that believes (often correctly) that it’s been treated unfairly and it wants to win again, falling prey to false promises of a return to a time that seems much better in hindsight.

There are some interesting tidbits including what’s it’s like to live in a concealed carry zone, and what ranchers have to deal with as they move cattle (I thought of cowboy as a frustrated rancher moves his herd ahead of a prairie fire). Great dialogue, interesting characters (two waitresses in separate scenes are excellent) and some nice cinematography, but just as life is for many, the movie is nasty, brutish and short. I thought it was great; Mrs. PAC gave it a thumbs down but mainly due to the story itself.

Star Trek....I liked it.

Interesting that Simon Pegg was the writer. He is a talented individual. He still kills me in Shawn of the Dead to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    Star Trek....I liked it.

Interesting that Simon Pegg was the writer. He is a talented individual. He still kills me in Shawn of the Dead to this day.
    I watched "Man Up" on Neflix the other day... based on the recommendation of someone here (KL?). I wouldn't think of Simon Pegg as a candidate for the lead in a romantic comedy, but he does an exceptional job in the role (and Lake Bell makes a perfect foil). It's an anti-romcom really, as many of the romcom tropes are turned on their heads. Sharon from "Catastrophe" plays Bell's older sis. Funny stuff. Rated (a soft) R for language; you'll find more sex in many PG-13 movies.

Edit: It was Armenag, not KL.
    Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 08-24-2016 at 01:33 PM.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

Sing Street. A nice break from superheroes and blockbusters, it’s a story about a high school kid who copes with a lousy home life and a terrible school by forming a band to woo an older girl. I got hooked in the initial scene when he puts his parents’ argument to song. The story shows the transformative power of music, but doesn’t dissolve into cheap sentiment. There’s a classic scene in which the star (great kid) imagines he’s playing at a prom like the one in Back to the Future—an Oscar-worthy song and great entertainment. It’s the kind of movie that’s fun to talk about days later, esp. the relationship of the brothers who deal very differently with the same crap life has dealt them. It’s especially good if you liked 80’s bands like Duran Duran, The Cure, Hall and Oates, A-Ha, etc.

The movie grades out around 95% on Rotten Tomatoes and 8.4 on IMDB.
    I gave this a shot on my flight today due to your recommendation and really enjoyed it.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Life sucks. At least it does throughout Hell or High Water, the story of two brothers who rob banks to prevent foreclosure of their family farm. West Texas is shown as a dreary, destitute plain with shuttered businesses and abandoned homes, where the primary theme of billboards is debt relief. Jeff Bridges is the Texas Ranger who pursues the brothers as his retirement date fast approaches. Nobody does world-weary and grizzled better than Bridges (okay, maybe a tie with Tommy Lee Jones in No Country for Old Men), who’s great in this. And Chris Pine shows he’s a better actor than his Captain Kirk might have led one to believe.

Perhaps strangely, the movie helps explain a lot of the support for Donald Trump. There’s a substantial segment of society that believes (often correctly) that it’s been treated unfairly and it wants to win again, falling prey to false promises of a return to a time that seems much better in hindsight.

There are some interesting tidbits including what’s it’s like to live in a concealed carry zone, and what ranchers have to deal with as they move cattle (I thought of cowboy as a frustrated rancher moves his herd ahead of a prairie fire). Great dialogue, interesting characters (two waitresses in separate scenes are excellent) and some nice cinematography, but just as life is for many, the movie is nasty, brutish and short. I thought it was great; Mrs. PAC gave it a thumbs down but mainly due to the story itself.

Best movie I've seen in a long time. The concealed carry zone was great.

Don't Breathe was highly entertaining if a little improbable in a few spots.

My wife falls asleep in movies even easier than Moliere and she was totally awake the whole time despite the fact that she got up at 4 AM that morning.

The less you know about the movie when you see it the better.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Don't Breathe was highly entertaining if a little improbable in a few spots.

My wife falls asleep in movies even easier than Moliere and she was totally awake the whole time despite the fact that she got up at 4 AM that morning.

The less you know about the movie when you see it the better.
    We saw the trailer for that when we went to see The Shallows, and I thought it looked promising.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Wild Tales - Great anthology film out of Argentina. Stories are unconnected except in a very broad theme about people giving in to their more animalistic impulses. Thought it was very funny though pretty dark. The bookend stories were great and even the weakest couple were still good. Highly recommended, though perhaps not for all (definitely not family friendly).