The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Star Wars. Possibly ruined my desire to see anymore of them. Really bad plus really long is a rough combo. Found myself longing for Jar Jar Binks.
    Like in Rogue One...

You have to look hard to find the Jar Jar:

The movie sucked. Although I did enjoy...

Spoiler for Enjoyable Part:
    Chewie cooking up those damn bird things:
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      I thought it was good. But I guess once reality sets in, I'll figure out it was horrible.
      It sucked, people initially tried to talk themselves into The Phantom Menace being ok.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
        It sucked, people initially tried to talk themselves into The Phantom Menace being ok.
        Phantom Menace was horrible from the get go. I still haven't finished it. The Last Jedi is not in that same category.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Saw it with my older kids tonight. There were 20 minutes in the middle where I slept, but I give it 5 out of 10. Maybe those 20 mins would improve my rating, but I’m skeptical.

Way too long.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Saw it tonight. Liked it for what it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• I saw The Shape of Water yesterday. I like it, but I'm not sure I love it. It's a period piece and an obvious homage to monster-horror films from generations ago. It's visually stunning, just as you would expect from Guillermo Del Toro, and the sets are fantastically detailed and colored. It's a fun story with likeable characters, but for me the story arc just fell a little flat. For one, it's a little too black and white about who is good and who is bad--perhaps that part of the homage to films of old. But more nuance with the characters, or perhaps some back story about why the foil was so unreasonable, might have made for a more interesting climax. The show was plenty long, but the relationship between the protagonist and her lover felt rushed and superficial. The antagonist, Michael Shannon, is great, but it feels like he plays the exact same character in everything; he essentially reprised his exact character from Boardwalk Empire for this role. Richard Jenkins is also great, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a best supporting actor nominee for him. In fact, this thing is going to get tons of Oscar buzz, and will likely be nominated in all of the major categories. It's definitely worth seeing, but I don't think it's nearly as profound as it wants to be.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                Saw it tonight. Liked it for what it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I saw it this morning and I agree with this

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Saw Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri

An artistic "black comedy crime" movie focused upon the inability to solve a year old rape-murder of a local girl. The acting is superb, in that broken, poor white trash, are shown in their frailty but with some aspect of humanity still in tact. Frances McDormand and Woody Harrelson show unvarnished characters as part of blue collar middle America. The lack of resolution is part of its painful appeal.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Darkest Hour. Really enjoyed it. Oldman was excellent as Churchill. Very interesting to see the turmoil/anxiety in parliament and in the war cabinet leading up to Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain.
                    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                      Darkest Hour. Really enjoyed it. Oldman was excellent as Churchill. Very interesting to see the turmoil/anxiety in parliament and in the war cabinet leading up to Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain.
                      However, it is purported to be very inaccurate.

http://www.sandfordborins.com/2017/0...-a-true-story/

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...urchill-memory

https://www.vox.com/2017/11/21/16680...ston-churchill

http://time.com/5031642/winston-churchill-darkest-hour/

It is routinely panned for historical inaccuracies.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• My brothers, BIL also went and saw Darkest Hour

All of us are WWII buffs and it was an interesting discussion on the inaccuracies. That said we enjoyed it.

I agree with Hostile - Oldman is excellent. He really brings the man alive! I think he should get some nods during the awards season.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                          Darkest Hour. Really enjoyed it. Oldman was excellent as Churchill. Very interesting to see the turmoil/anxiety in parliament and in the war cabinet leading up to Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain.
                          my favorite movie in a long time
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                            My brothers, BIL also went and saw Darkest Hour

All of us are WWII buffs and it was an interesting discussion on the inaccuracies. That said we enjoyed it.

I agree with Hostile - Oldman is excellent. He really brings the man alive! I think he should get some nods during the awards season.
                            The subway scene never happened. Lots of literary license according to historical reviewers.

National Review put it thus,

It is a cliché of the motion-picture industry that, in order to sufficiently excite audience interest, the climactic moments must incorporate a reversal of direction. Since we all know how this chapter of World War II ends — to give Wright and McCarten credit, it’s a stirring, magnificent scene in which Churchill rouses the nation with the 34-minute address one MP called “the speech of 1,000 years” — Darkest Hour simply imposes its dramatic needs upon the days preceding it. For the sake of a good yarn, it mistakes a lion for a jellyfish.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...urchill-memory
                            Last edited by Topper; 12-29-2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• Saw "Darkest Hour" a few days ago, and really enjoyed it. It was only playing in the Indy theater, and the 4pm showing was full of gray-haired people.... I thought it was kind of funny that cell phones were ringing during the whole movie.

That subway scene was dumb, and seemed totally out of character for WC, and was a major veer of the road for the movie. Walking to the car, and before checking google, my daughter and I both doubted that really happened.

I loved the line at the end about Winston 'weaponizing the English language'
                              Great acting, good movie.
                              I intend to live forever.
                              So far, so good.
                              --Steven Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                                Saw Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri

An artistic "black comedy crime" movie focused upon the inability to solve a year old rape-murder of a local girl. The acting is superb, in that broken, poor white trash, are shown in their frailty but with some aspect of humanity still in tact. Frances McDormand and Woody Harrelson show unvarnished characters as part of blue collar middle America. The lack of resolution is part of its painful appeal.
                                It looks really good.
                                I enjoy movies that don't resolve. Life rarely resolves.
                                I intend to live forever.
                                So far, so good.
                                --Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X