Page 216 of 218 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218 LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,480 of 6526

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Hey KL, my grandfather served a 4-yr mission in Tonga/Somoa in the 1920's.
    He must be a little farther down the list of white missionaries. That coincidence in our small group is uncanny.

Been waiting forever for 1917 to come out, and we caught it today. There were no millenials whatsoever in the audience- the youngest looked to be 40. After the movie, a bunch of older viewers were milling about the bathroom area, and a millenial Megaplex employee addressed the group and asked if it was better than Dunkirk. Everyone agreed.

I love a new perspective in moviemaking, whether it is a technical improvement (aka StarWars IV), or different way of looking at a long-standing mythology (like Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven). This movie was done in one continuous take, which resulted in an immediate POV the likes of which I have never seen.

Deft Touches and innovative storytelling resulting from the single POV:

Spoiler for (Do yourself a favor and watch the movie before reading spoilers):

The protagonist is not the protagonist we thought when the movie starts. Sort of like real war when a company of soldiers starts out and you never know (other than in Hollywood) who is going to end up coming home.

The movie starts out on a bucolic spring day, our hero sitting under a leafy tree. The movie ends up in exactly the same shot, a warm spring day under another tree-- this one stripped and scarred and lacking any leaves or greenery.

The one-shot is super effective in the opening sequence, where the soldiers transition seamlessly and innocently from open ground to trench warfare. As you watch the movie, you start as you realize that nothing can be seen- the sun, the grass, the landscape, the enemy. Its mud and sky, over and over.

They get closer and closer to the war front, and I'm all set to see the front line action. But nothing. In the trench war, there is no front line- only two trenches facing each other a few hundred yards away. Everything is below ground. There is nothing to see.

There is another scene where he is getting out of the river and has to crawl over a bunch of dead bodies to do so. An all-seeing perspective would have him swim past the bodies and disembark elsewhere, but his POV is shot so tight he cannot see the dead.

In a regular Hollywood movie, you'd see imminent danger, then scary music starts to swell, cut back to the danger, cut back to our protagonists, cut to danger, etc. In this movie, we notice a rat, then notice a trip wire, with no chance to react or be heroic or even really register the danger except very briefly before bad stuff happens. No foreshadowing, no narrative warnings- just survival and then death and when the smoke clears we see who were the lucky ones.

No admirable last stands, no self sacrifice, no key moments that change the outcome of the war, nobody jumps on a grenade. Just moments of battle and moments of no battles. The mission is sort of completed, the arrogant generals act sort of responsibly, there is no medal presentation for a job well done. The medals presentation is that fact that you are still alive.

Other notes:

The music was awesome- heroic but as unlike John Williams as possible.
    Only 3 famous actors and all in brief roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Been waiting forever for 1917 to come out, and we caught it today. There were no millenials whatsoever in the audience- the youngest looked to be 40. After the movie, a bunch of older viewers were milling about the bathroom area, and a millenial Megaplex employee addressed the group and asked if it was better than Dunkirk. Everyone agreed.

I love a new perspective in moviemaking, whether it is a technical improvement (aka StarWars IV), or different way of looking at a long-standing mythology (like Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven). This movie was done in one continuous take, which resulted in an immediate POV the likes of which I have never seen.

The protagonist is not the protagonist we thought when the movie starts. Sort of like real war when a company of soldiers starts out and you never know (other than in Hollywood) who is going to end up coming home.

The movie starts out on a bucolic spring day, our hero sitting under a leafy tree. The movie ends up in exactly the same shot, a warm spring day under another tree-- this one stripped and scarred and lacking any leaves or greenery.

The one-shot is super effective in the opening sequence, where the soldiers transition seamlessly and innocently from open ground to trench warfare. As you watch the movie, you start as you realize that nothing can be seen- the sun, the grass, the landscape, the enemy. Its mud and sky, over and over.

They get closer and closer to the war front, and I'm all set to see the front line action. But nothing. In the trench war, there is no front line- only two trenches facing each other a few hundred yards away. Everything is below ground. There is nothing to see.

There is another scene where he is getting out of the river and has to crawl over a bunch of dead bodies to do so. An all-seeing perspective would have him swim past the bodies and disembark elsewhere, but his POV is shot so tight he cannot see the dead.

In a regular Hollywood movie, you'd see imminent danger, then scary music starts to swell, cut back to the danger, cut back to our protagonists, cut to danger, etc. In this movie, we notice a rat, then notice a trip wire, with no chance to react or be heroic or even really register the danger except very briefly before bad stuff happens. No foreshadowing, no narrative warnings- just survival and then death and when the smoke clears we see who were the lucky ones.

No admirable last stands, no self sacrifice, no key moments that change the outcome of the war, nobody jumps on a grenade. Just moments of battle and moments of no battles. The mission is sort of completed, the arrogant generals act sort of responsibly, there is no medal presentation for a job well done. The medals presentation is that fact that you are still alive.

Other notes:

It was a great movie, but it wasn't filmed in one continious take. It was filmed in a series of uncut takes that masterfully made it look like one.

After reading the book, I was excited to check out Just Mercy. Saw it last night and thought it was great. They definitely had to hollywoodize it a bit, but that's ok.

Princeps Inter Pares

Default The "last movie I saw" thread

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    It was a great movie, but it wasn't filmed in one continious take. It was filmed in a series of uncut takes that masterfully made it look like one.
    https://youtu.be/zZn0njzFL68
    Edit: not the clip I was looking for. The one I had in mind was the continuous shot showing Charlie day masterfully evading the health inspector. Genius work.
    Last edited by All-American; 01-11-2020 at 05:28 PM.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Wasn't Russian Ark done in one shot through the Hermitage?

Other notes:

If you liked this and Dunkirk, do yourself a favor and catch They Shall Not Grow Old if you get the chance. Documentary by Peter Jackson. It's focused primarily on soldiers from Great Britain. They've colorized old film, used old recorded interviews of soldiers, and even had some lip readers interpret what people are saying in old silent film and added in the voices. Not for children - they show some dead bodies - but I really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Wasn't Russian Ark done in one shot through the Hermitage?
    I'm pretty sure you're right.

Rope by Alfred Hitchcock is well known for its continuous shots but it looks like it was a few more than one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_(film)

The film is one of Hitchcock's most experimental and "one of the most interesting experiments ever attempted by a major director working with big box-office names", abandoning many standard film techniques to allow for the long unbroken scenes. Each shot ran continuously for up to ten minutes without interruption. It was shot on a single set, aside from the opening establishing shot street scene under the credits. Camera moves were carefully planned and there was almost no editing.
    Last edited by beefytee; 01-13-2020 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    If you liked this and Dunkirk, do yourself a favor and catch They Shall Not Grow Oldit.
    yup. saw it. those brit boys sure had terrible teeth.

The movie I hear is heartbreakingly anti-war is Come and See. I dont think I could ever bring myself to watch it. Those who make it all the way to the end said it was a gut punch.

I'm pretty sure you're right.
    Russian Ark is amazing -- and a true, continuous single shot without any stitching together IIRC. Not really a conventional movie though -- very surreal. Well worth watching in my opinion, though if you're tired it will probably put you to sleep.

Interesting video about the continuous take in 1917

Finally saw "Baby Driver". I liked it quite a bit. I've had the Simon & Garfunkel song "Baby Driver" stuck in my head ever since.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Armenag View Post
    Russian Ark is amazing -- and a true, continuous single shot without any stitching together IIRC. Not really a conventional movie though -- very surreal. Well worth watching in my opinion, though if you're tired it will probably put you to sleep.
    I read about that film for a class in college but never did watch. How emotionally demanding is it?

Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar

I recently watched Jewel Robbery (1932).

William Powell was a stylish, gentleman thief and Kay Francis was perfect as a bored, impulsive mantrap.

Had this film been shot two years later, it would never have made it through the Hays Code.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Saw Knifes Out. Was underwhelmed although I may have gone in with overamped expectations. Didn't like Daniel Craig as the southern gentleman. Loved Toni Collette as the vamp. Loved Rian Johnson's camera angles. Not so much his coloring. Two questions:

1. Was the husband having an affair with the nurse, or with someone else??
    2. So the nurse was Brazillian (she has a portuguese last name) but she emigrated from Uruguay? Wouldn't that mean that she legally obtained a work permit in Uruguay, and then legally obtained another one in the US? Why wouldn't she just obtain one directly from Brazil to USA? Seems to me that the Brazillian-to-US path is a little easier.

Saw Knifes Out. Was underwhelmed although I may have gone in with overamped expectations. Didn't like Daniel Craig as the southern gentleman. Loved Toni Collette as the vamp. Loved Rian Johnson's camera angles. Not so much his coloring. Two questions:

2. So the nurse was Brazillian (she has a portuguese last name) but she emigrated from Uruguay? Wouldn't that mean that she legally obtained a work permit in Uruguay, and then legally obtained another one in the US? Why wouldn't she just obtain one directly from Brazil to USA? Seems to me that the Brazillian-to-US path is a little easier.
    Daniel Craig was great.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Didn't like Daniel Craig as the southern gentleman.
    What did you think of him in Logan Lucky?
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Cabrera is a Spanish last name.

Daniel Craig was great.
    I thought so too.

I saw this before Christmas and had no expectations. Hadn't heard of it and our 20-year-old said it was good, so I wondered. But it was very entertaining. The doughnut hole speech still cracks me up.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    I thought so too.

I saw this before Christmas and had no expectations. Hadn't heard of it and our 20-year-old said it was good, so I wondered. But it was very entertaining. The doughnut hole speech still cracks me up.
    I liked KniVes Out, too. It is not a change your life sort of movie but very entertaining and I thought Craig was very good.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

You missed the point on where she was from. Each family member said she was from somewhere else (Uruguay, Ecuador, Paraguay, etc.). I.e., they don't know anything about her and don't care like they profess to.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    You missed the point on where she was from. Each family member said she was from somewhere else (Uruguay, Ecuador, Paraguay, etc.). I.e., they don't know anything about her and don't care like they profess to.
    That was one of the best gags in the movie.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

That was one of the best gags in the movie.
    Agreed
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

(on an ACTUALLY side note that has nothing to do with the movie- not one thing about a Brazil-US path would be easier than one from Uruguay; we are actually pretty stiff with Brazilians. Uruguay is a little better- they even had visa waiver privileges (they could come to the US with just a Uruguayan passport) up until 2003).
    Last edited by Commando; 01-21-2020 at 11:25 AM.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

I read about that film for a class in college but never did watch. How emotionally demanding is it?
    Not at all really. It's all very surreal -- basically the first-person perspective of a guy wandering through the museum. He walks for a while with a diplomat with a lot of disdain for Russian culture and they see various characters from Russian history, as if they're all unstuck in time. Nothing is really explained; there's no plot to speak of. Just an experience. Puts a lot of viewers to sleep, but can be very cool if you're up for it.

Saw 1917 last night. I really liked it aside from the motion sickness it gave me watching it on a giant screen.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

I have been listening to Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History - Blueprint for Armageddon podcast episodes again. It should be a good prep for this movie. I am pretty excited to see it.

Man, WW1 was just brutal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    I have been listening to Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History - Blueprint for Armageddon podcast episodes again. It should be a good prep for this movie. I am pretty excited to see it.

Man, WW1 was just brutal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I listened to that a couple summers ago. Really brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    Interesting video about the continuous take in 1917

The way that 1917 was filmed is pretty cool. It is really hard to tell that it was not taken in one shot.

There is, however, something that really bugs me about 1917 in its plot:

Spoiler for Spoiler:
    Why didn't they just fly over and drop the message out of one of those bi-planes? That seems like it would be a lot easier.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!