X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I think it's a play on words.
    or wordplay.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Isle of Dogs. (btw, the translation is labeled incorrectly - the kanji say "dog island", but I digress)
      Yeah that bothers me every time I see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
        Watched Game Over, Man! on Netflix tonight. I didn't look at the reviews before I watched and it has gotten panned by critics so far. I laughed through the whole thing though. It stars the main guys in Workaholics (on Comedy Central). I have only seen that show once, but I like that kind of humor. The movie was very, very vulgar with a lot of gory violence and an extended scene where Adam Devine goes full frontal (it is hilarious). It was also about 30 minutes too long. I saw one review call it a parody of Die Hard, but I've never seen Die Hard so I don't know if it is accurate.

Definitely would not recommend it for everyone, but if you like some trashy humor and can handle a lot of blood and some graphic male nudity, you might find this funny.
        If you liked the movie, you'd love Workaholics. So stupid but also very funny.

I also recommend The Inbetweeners on Netflix. That is a great show. Very funny, but also a bit crude, so choose your viewing companions wisely.

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
          or wordplay.
          Yes, definitely one of those two.

Comment

• This is what we are talking about. That top character = "dog", and the bottom character = "island". BTW, the character for island is a bird sitting on a mountain. Always thought that was kind of cool.

This doesn't matter at all, just an interesting observation in case someone was using this to learn a couple of kanji.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• The "last movie I saw" thread

Thanks for the clarification, JL. This saved me from getting a tattoo thinking it said “Dog” when it really said “Island.” That would have been embarrassing.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                Thanks for the clarification, JL. This saved me from getting a tattoo thinking it said “Dog” when it really said “Island.” That would have been embarrassing.
                Ha. Don't get me started. You wouldn't believe how badly people butcher Japanese characters on tattoos.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Nice to see Bill Murray and Scarlette Johansson working together again.... I wonder what he'll whisper in her ear this time?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                  -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Ha. Don't get me started. You wouldn't believe how badly people butcher Japanese characters on tattoos.
                    Hmm, these are Chinese characters stolen and misappropriated by the Japanese.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                      I'm gonna pass on that one. I avoid all movies The Rock is in.

I did see Beirut and thought it was a solid thriller.
                      I thought Jumanji was worth putting up with Rock for. Laughed pretty good at that one - Jack Black is great.

Comment

• A Quiet Place. Loved it. Easily a top 5 movie experience for me. I bet you could hear a pin drop in the movie theater. I think everyone was scared to move. Super intense movie. I felt like I had taken a whole tub of preworkout or something. My heart was racing throughout. I'm glad I saw it in the theater.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

• A Quiet Place - Almost the perfect movie and one you have to see in the theater. Sure there are some plot holes, but the story was pretty tight and the overall plot worked very well. Pacing was good and was not overly long. I especially thought that all elements (color, sound, camera angles, etc.) were very well used. The suspense was perfect as it wasn't overly used. I can only think of one place where I thought the suspense was used in a forced way. The ending was also perfect from the axe drop to the very end.

Jumanji - Saw it twice, which was probably too much but MJ found out I liked it so she wanted to watch it. Fell asleep part way through the second time through it. The first viewing was great. The humor is pretty good (especially when Jack Black learns to pee with a penis ) and all other actors were very good (yes, even the Rock). Definitely worth the time to watch and pretty family friendly...oh, and that chick has some nice abs!
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            A Quiet Place - Almost the perfect movie [...] I can only think of one place where I thought the suspense was used in a forced way.
                            The silo of corn "quicksand"? Super dumb.

Agree with you and Surfah. Must be seen in the theater for effect.
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Finally saw The Greatest Showman this past weekend. Fun story and well acted. The sets and costumes were great. But all the fanfare about this thing is just way overboard. The catchy pop tunes feel very Disney made-for-TV movie. In fact, the entire thing feels very much like they gave the Disney Channel movie department a quadrupled budget allotment and let them go to work. Not a bad thing, but it's a far cry from the spectacle some would claim it to be.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                Finally saw The Greatest Showman this past weekend. Fun story and well acted. The sets and costumes were great. But all the fanfare about this thing is just way overboard. The catchy pop tunes feel very Disney made-for-TV movie. In fact, the entire thing feels very much like they gave the Disney Channel movie department a quadrupled budget allotment and let them go to work. Not a bad thing, but it's a far cry from the spectacle some would claim it to be.
                                No comment on the choreography?
                                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Working...
                                X