No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emperor - wish they wouldn't have spent so much time on the side love story (especially with obviously older actors portraying college students). Otherwise it was an interesting look into post - war Japan.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• The "last movie I saw" thread

Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
      Saw Snowpiercer this afternoon. Very interesting, stylized sci-fi action movie from Bong Joon-Ho. Quite a bit of bloody violence, for those that are squeamish, but it is cool to look at and pretty entertaining. Not sure there is much depth to the allegory of the film, and the ending doesn't really make much sense, but I would recommend it--for Tilda Swinton's performance, if nothing else.
      I've heard nothing but great things about this. I've been tempted to watch via iTunes, but I think I'll hold out until I can get to the theater.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Lucy. A big fat 'meh'. Scarlett Johansson does a decent job with what she's given. Morgan Freeman does what he usually does. But the film is all over the place. You just can't expect me to believe if we have access to 100% of our cerebral cortex we have power over space and time, without 'logically' building up to that or at least explaining why.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
          Lucy. A big fat 'meh'. Scarlett Johansson does a decent job with what she's given. Morgan Freeman does what he usually does. But the film is all over the place. You just can't expect me to believe if we have access to 100% of our cerebral cortex we have power over space and time, without 'logically' building up to that or at least explaining why.
          That crap about not having access to all our brain is a canard anyway.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
            Lucy. A big fat 'meh'. Scarlett Johansson does a decent job with what she's given. Morgan Freeman does what he usually does. But the film is all over the place. You just can't expect me to believe if we have access to 100% of our cerebral cortex we have power over space and time, without 'logically' building up to that or at least explaining why.
            http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
              Anybody planning on seeing the new releases for next week?

Hercules, Lucy, the Kill Team, A Most Wanted Man, Cannibal or Ironclad: Battle for Blood?
              Saw hercules today .... decent and fun
              Saw Lucy today too I was entertained
              Saw most wanted man yesterday... i liked it but left a little "yeah that's Bullshit it would never be like that"
              "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                That crap about not having access to all our brain is a canard anyway.
                Sure. But if we're going to go along with the myth and make me suspend belief, you'd better spend some time building up a good story. Lucy didn't do that for me.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                  Saw Snowpiercer this afternoon. Very interesting, stylized sci-fi action movie from Bong Joon-Ho. Quite a bit of bloody violence, for those that are squeamish, but it is cool to look at and pretty entertaining. Not sure there is much depth to the allegory of the film, and the ending doesn't really make much sense, but I would recommend it--for Tilda Swinton's performance, if nothing else.
                  Really enjoyed Snowpiercer. I wasn't sure about the first half, which was mostly planning and staging a revolt. Like you say, pretty bloody in some scenes. But my barometer is Mrs. NWC. If she mentions something, it's too much. She didn't say anything.

The second half was very intense and really well-acted. I liked the way some of the main characters resolved some interesting plot twists. I'm not sure if the social class allegory was that profound, but I thought it was very well done. All in all, a smart film that keeps you interested. I recommend it.

Spoiler for Show ending:
                  For me, I loved the way Ed Harris ended the film a la 'The Truman Show'. I'm not sure if that was intentional, but I liked it.
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• The "last movie I saw" thread

Last week on a long flight back from Europe I watched two movies, "Prisoners" and "The Invisible Woman." "Prisoners" is the kind of suspense/whodunit (with plenty of plot intricacies) that I tend to like a lot and it hooked me pretty early on, so I stuck with it 'til the end. It is quite long and IMO the filmmakers tried to do too much -- more of this movie should have been cut. Still, I liked it. If you watch it with someone you'll be talking about it for some time afterwards. The "What would you do in that situation?" discussion is the most interesting, I think.

"The Invisible Woman" is a nice little film that I suspect was a pet project for Ralph Fiennes, who starred and directed. I'd never even heard of it -- probably that's because it was only in the art houses, and not for very long. The critics pretty much liked it. It's about the relationship between Ellen (Nellie) Ternan and Charles Dickens, told mainly from the woman's point of view. Most people who know enough about Dickens to be aware of his separation from his wife and his taking Nellie as a mistress will find that angle intriguing-- I did. I recommend the movie but before watching you should spend a few minutes reading up on that part of ol' Charles' life.
                    Last edited by LA Ute; 07-29-2014, 08:55 AM.
                    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Snowpiercer. Thanks for the suggestion, guys. Fantastic.

Comment

• Saw the ape movie over the weekend. Meh. I really wanted to like this, but it didn't do much for me.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Saw Guardians of the Galaxy. It's a fun movie, I liked it. But I'm not hard to please and I generally like any movie where 92% of the critics like it (like the Apes movie). Probably the best Marvel movie so far, none of which have been terrible, some were quite good while others kind of average to kind of bad. The first Iron Man movie I thought was the best of the bunch, followed by the second Captain America movie and then the Avengers. The remainder were increasingly forgettable, especially Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 (the part of the Marvel series that have not been okay but have somehow made a crapload of money).

But Guardians is the best. It's the most unrelated from the others and I think that's actually a good thing. IMO, it's the raccoon that steals the show, though I think Zoe Saldana and Chris Pratt are pretty good and the CGI tree thing somehow holds his own. This kind of movie always looks for that Han Solo like character (I think Harrison Ford was the guy that really made the original Star Wars trilogy so successful, if he's not there then you have a couple gay robots, whiny Luke Skywalker, a guy in a gorilla costume and then Carrie Fisher who was pretty good in the role but couldn't carry the trilogy). Chris Pratt is ostensibly supposed to be that, but it's actually the raccoon voiced by Bradley Cooper which more ably fills that role. The movies funniest moments (except for the Jackson Pollock reference from Pratt) come from Cooper/raccoon.

EDIT Spoiler ---

The post-credits scene features freaking Howard the Duck. I kid you not. Pretty bizarre.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• I just got back from Guardians of the Galaxy as well. Great review from Color Me Badd Fan. I think anyone who enjoys the Marvel cinematic universe will like it. It had plenty of comedy (I don't think I've laughed that hard at a movie in awhile) and didn't take itself too seriously, which has been a failing of some of the other films in the franchise.

I hope the post-credits scene was just for fun and not a hint at a movie to come though...

Comment

• We went to see it on Thursday. During the movie I found it corny and a bit dumb. I'm finding myself enjoying it more as I remember it.

My kids all loved it.

I'm hoping the post scene means a new Howard the Duck is coming.
                              Last edited by HuskyFreeNorthwest; 08-02-2014, 06:17 AM.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                                We went to see it on Thursday. During the movie I found it corny and a bit dumb. I'm finding myself enjoying it more as I remember it.

My kids all loved it.

I'm hoping the post scene means a new Howard the Duck is coming.
                                I read yesterday that it was Seth Green that voiced Howard. That would be awesome to get a new Howard the Duck movie.
                                "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

Working...
                                X