The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    Considering taking my two boys 12 and 16 to They Shall Not Grow Old. Poor parenting decision? Or is it OK?
    Go for it - particularly if your kids are at all interested in history or WWI. Jackson does a short "how it was made" at the end of the film and talks about his interest coming from having relatives that fought in the war. If I was going to do this, I might do a quick search to see what relatives I had who fought and in what areas they served.

They show some dead bodies. The fact that it is a war isn't sugarcoated. And some of the actual soldiers being interviewed talk about death as well. But I don't recall seeing anything that I'd be afraid of my kids seeing. I guess the difference between it and your basic PG movie is that you know that pile of dead bodies is really a pile of dead bodies and not people faking it for the scene. If you're OK with that, you'll be fine.

Comment

• This past weekend my son picked up the latest Mission Impossible from redbox. After watching it, my wife learned that he's never seen the original, so we rented that on netflix and saw it too.

The level of sophistication and changes in technology over the last 23 years when that first movie came out is crazy. Seeing Tom Cruise's difference in age was pretty wild too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Swiss Army Man - Fun and not serious, but serious. Loved the way they shot it all and the absurdity of the whole thing wasn't too overplayed. I also laughed quite a bit as they used humor in the right places at hte right time to keep the plot from getting heavy...but they laid off of too much slapstick humor.
        Saw this over the weekend on Netflix. I can't recall another movie that gave more wtfs/minute. A little too strange for my tastes. And I usually like weird movies.
        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
        "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
        "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Considering taking my two boys 12 and 16 to They Shall Not Grow Old. Poor parenting decision? Or is it OK?
          Go, and take them. I wish I had been able to take my teen aged kids to see it, in part because it provides a lot of fodder for discussion. As long as they go in expecting a documentary and not a Marvel action movie, I think they'll really enjoy it. It's R-rated due to scenes of violence and death, but nothing today's teenagers can't handle.

It's great from a historical perspective, given its focus on a truly world-changing event with effects that still reverberate in 21st Century policy making.

It's superb from a technical perspective. Consider that all of the footage was shot using hand-cranked cameras (with the resultant variable shutter-speeds), with no sound and in black and white. Peter Jackson (LOTR) has produced a technical masterpiece.

It's a fascinating and very discussion-worthy study of war and human nature. Contrast the enthusiasm everyone had at the beginning of WWI with the unspeakable horrors of actual conflict. And yet after enduring those horrors, why do so many comment so favorably on the experience looking back years later, wishing they could go back and relive it?

You should have a good post-film conversation, but let me know if the ravages of age have caused me to forget what it's like to take teenagers to the movies...

Comment

• Thanks Eddie and PAC, I had decided to take them but then timing didn't work out.

Comment

Thanks Eddie and PAC, I had decided to take them but then timing didn't work out.
              Took my oldest and he really enjoyed it. Wished I could have taken my 16 y old
              "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Apollo 11 is outstanding. It's comprised entirely of footage (including some spectacular scenes that were shot in 70mm) from July 1969, and the only voiceovers are those of Walter Cronkite and the mission participants at that time--no retrospectives, except for the obligatory JFK remarks that remain inspiring. I've seen lots of movies and documentaries about the mission but this may be the best, and it includes more detail about the landing and the moonwalk than anything I'd seen previously. The huge number of people involved in the program, and that everything came together so successfully in such a short time, still amazes me.

See it in IMAX if at all possible. IMAX isn't always worth it, but this time, absolutely. Great documentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                  We went to "Free Solo" this past weekend, the climb of Alex Honnald up El Capitan. This was one of the most enjoyable things I've seen in a theater in a long time. The film looks at his life growing up and his life outside of climbing, very unique and really emotionally dead person but I think you'd almost have to be to take the risk that he does. The climb itself takes up very little of the movie but it's very nerve racking even knowing that he makes it. The preparation for the climb was really interesting, 31 pitches and thousands of moves were rehearsed and thought through in order to make it. I think it's probably the greatest athletic achievement in my lifetime.
                  Finally saw this on imax tonight. I love Honnold. I have been fortunate to have spent a lot of time hiking in Yosemite over the years and, if anything, I think the movie almost undersells the magnitude of what he did. The insane heights and sheer walls are almost impossible to convey on a screen. His feat was absolutely insane.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    Finally saw this on imax tonight. I love Honnold. I have been fortunate to have spent a lot of time hiking in Yosemite over the years and, if anything, I think the movie almost undersells the magnitude of what he did. The insane heights and sheer walls are almost impossible to convey on a screen. His feat was absolutely insane.
                    Yep so amazing.

I liked it when the guy said it’s like going for an Olympic gold medal and if you don’t get the gold medal you die.

Comment

• The "last movie I saw" thread

+1 for Free Solo. Mind-blowing.
                      Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 03-02-2019, 01:21 PM.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        +1 for First Solo. Mind-blowing.
                        I was happy it won the Best Documentary Oscar last week over the expected winner, RBG. RBG was very good, but it would have won only because Ginsburg is such an admirable person and because of the anti-Trump fervor. Free Solo is truly an outstanding achievement in multiple ways.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          +1 for First Solo. Mind-blowing.
                          Haven’t heard of that one. Will have to check it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                            I don't think I can take yet another Star Wars reboot.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                              Watch it on imax if you can.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Nat Geo is showing Free Solo tomorrow night.
                                Last edited by Surfah; 03-02-2019, 11:28 AM.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X