The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "last movie I saw" thread

Let's start a running thread for movies. If you have seen something that you want to mention but don't think merits its own thread, maybe you can post it here. How about a brief review and then grade for each film? I guess the purpose of this thread is for movies that you don't think many people have seen but want to throw out there on the chance that someone else has and might have some additional commentary.

World's Greatest Dad - this was directed by Bobcat Goldthwait (yes, that Bobcat Goldthwait) and my initial interest in seeing it stemmed from the fact that it was shot in the neighborhood adjacent to ours a couple summers ago. It is a dark comedy (very dark) that in many places is crass and perverted to an uncomfortable degree. However, I did think it had some interesting ideas about way we redefine our relationships with people after their deaths, and about this whole cult of celebrity that seems to accompany such instances. Having lost a friend in HS, I could relate to a lot of what happens with the characters. As an additional bonus, you get to see Robin Williams package! 6/10.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

this thread is long-overdue, BTW.

I tried to watch "Synecdoche, New York" on instant netflix the other night. I found myself surfing the web on my phone 40 minutes in, and turned it off roughly halfway through. I love Charlie Kauffman movies usually, but I failed to get into this one.
    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
      this thread is long-overdue, BTW.

I tried to watch "Synecdoche, New York" on instant netflix the other night. I found myself surfing the web on my phone 40 minutes in, and turned it off roughly halfway through. I love Charlie Kauffman movies usually, but I failed to get into this one.
      I haven't seen this yet, but would like to at some point. I know I've mentioned this before, but I had sneak peak tix to this one and Kaufman was there for a q&a. I was really disappointed I couldn't make it.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

I saw A Single Man Friday night. I didn't love the film, but Colin Firth gave a great performance as a gay man struggling with the sudden death of his partner. Set during the Cuban Missile Crisis (always a good historical backdrop), his struggle with finding any meaning to his life is smartly done, and Julianne Moore as his sympathetic but frustrated friend does a nice job as well. I suspect most here wouldn't care much for the movie, but if this kind of a story appeals to you, you will.

Comment

Mrs. PAC is gone for one week and college football season ends on Thursday, and the first movie you watch is about a gay guy struggling to find meaning in his life?

Comment

I watched 10 Things I Hate About You today after I came home from church. I had forgotten that Julia Stiles used to be a woman.
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

"Better Off Dead". John Cusack is a guaranteed hit, and it's a pretty decent teen movie, but compared to some other 80's movies I enjoy, it's not as good.
              "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
              "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by filsdepac View Post
                Mrs. PAC is gone for one week and college football season ends on Thursday, and the first movie you watch is about a gay guy struggling to find meaning in his life?
                lol!

Comment

I watched 'In Dreams' yesterday with Annette Benning and Robert Downey Jr. It was on the thriller HBO channel. RDJ makes a good crazy person. Thought the movie was lame, I kept thinking it could be better. I think the plot could have really been a cool standard mystery.
                  I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by filsdepac View Post

pwned, and I'm man enough to admit it.

Comment

I watched one of those really poorly acted disaster movies on SyFy. Can't remember the name, but it had more cliches and predictable plots than I have ever seen in one place. The movie was the bastard child of The Day After Tomorrow, Twister and The Weather Channel.
                      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                        pwned, and I'm man enough to admit it.
                        Is that Rock Hudson in your avatar?
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Last night I watched "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" with my kids. It was very different than the book. I did not love it, but it has a type of quirkiness that you don't often see in kids' movies. One of its best features is that it doesn't take itself too seriously.

****VERY MINOR SPOILERS BELOW******

On a parental note, my 16 year old son loved the movie. He had actually seen it before, and recommended it to us. This is not a young man who usually enjoys "kids'" movies, so I was somewhat surprised. For those who haven't seen it, one of the major themes is the love between a father and son. There is one father/son (the Mr. T character) where the father is constantly expressing his love for his son. The main character's father, on the other hand, is a gruff guy who only can express his feelings at the end of the movie through a kind of translator.

Anyway, I took my son's love of this movie as an affirmation that, though his teenage coolness won't allow him to say so, he still loves his Dad. That, at least, is the way I prefer to interpret it.

Comment

I watched Extract last night with my wife. I was excited to see it. I am generally a Mike Judge fan.

This show, however, was pretty boring. The laughs were few and far between. The story was a little frayed. Gene Simmons was funny though, the way he kept holding his hand when he was talking about Step's balls. That made me laugh.

5/10
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I watched Beowulf the other night. It had been on my DVR for awhile. I'm somewhat ashamed to say that I never read Beowulf in my youth, and I had to keep reminding the missus that I slept through 96% of AP English (the breastfeeding scene at the end of The Grapes of Wrath kept me interested in the class for the first week, at least).

Beowulf was interesting, to say the least. It was an animated film, but was about as realistic as animation can be. Pretty gory in the opening scenes for a non-R-rated flick, but I suppose they could get away with it because it was animation. Also, if you've ever wondered what an animated naked Angelina Jolie looks like, this is the movie for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X