Page 176 of 180 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,280 of 5375

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

  1. #5251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    You are the outlier opinion that just gets thrown out. This movie pretty much garnered rave reviews from everyone I talked to and you give it a 2.5. Lol.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  2. #5252
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    You are the outlier opinion that just gets thrown out. This movie pretty much garnered rave reviews from everyone I talked to and you give it a 2.5. Lol.
    Sounds like a good case of confirmation bias.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  3. #5253
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    26,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Sounds like a good case of confirmation bias.
    I haven't seen it.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  4. #5254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    If y'all loved the original Blade Runner back in 1982 then you may like the 2049 version as well. Same slow-moving film with the dark and twisted futuristic world like the original that answers a few questions but creates a few more. I predict it will be a cult classic as well. I wonder if they will do a voice over version of 2049 and get Harrison Ford to get stoned again.
    Wasn't the voiceover version of Blade Runner the one that was released in the theaters?
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  5. #5255
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Wasn't the voiceover version of Blade Runner the one that was released in the theaters?
    I believe it was the original release.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  6. #5256

    Default

    Dune was another movie that was cut and released in multiple forms. Coincidentally, the director of the new Blade Runner is making a new Dune movie (probably two movies, actually). Dune is an incredible book and it's too bad that the 80s movie botched it so badly. It's a really great piece Sci-Fi IP that Hollywood hasn't bothered to touch in over 30 years, not counting the Sy-Fy tv series from a while back.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  7. #5257
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Dune was another movie that was cut and released in multiple forms. Coincidentally, the director of the new Blade Runner is making a new Dune movie (probably two movies, actually). Dune is an incredible book and it's too bad that the 80s movie botched it so badly. It's a really great piece Sci-Fi IP that Hollywood hasn't bothered to touch in over 30 years, not counting the Sy-Fy tv series from a while back.
    Agree about Dune. Fantastic books.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  8. #5258
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★'s = 1
    Posts
    17,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Wasn't the voiceover version of Blade Runner the one that was released in the theaters?
    Yes (and no). After mix reviews for the screening version Warner Bros. decided to bring Ford back in to add the voiceovers which became the theatrical cut.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  9. #5259
    a day late/a dollar short Sullyute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    mrs smr convinced me to see wonder woman. on a scale from 1 -10, I've decided superhero movies have a ceiling of about a 3.5. I'd give ww a solid 2.5. incredibly dumb (like all superhero movies) and probably not worth the $2 or whatever i paid at the dollar theater, but it entertained me sufficiently and i enjoy hanging with the mrs, so I'd call it a success.
    I actually agree with SMR. I was thoroughly disappointed with WW after getting caught up in all the pre-screening hype.
    "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

  10. #5260
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    10,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Dune was another movie that was cut and released in multiple forms. Coincidentally, the director of the new Blade Runner is making a new Dune movie (probably two movies, actually). Dune is an incredible book and it's too bad that the 80s movie botched it so badly. It's a really great piece Sci-Fi IP that Hollywood hasn't bothered to touch in over 30 years, not counting the Sy-Fy tv series from a while back.
    I enjoyed most of the Dune series though, it became a bit like Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land, some of the later 1980s follow ups get a bit silly. I haven't read Brian Herbert's books. Have you? Are they worth reading?

    I enjoyed Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, and God Emperor of Dune. I don't remember Heretics of Dune or Chapterhouse Dune. Maybe I'll go back and re-read them.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  11. #5261
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    10,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I actually agree with SMR. I was thoroughly disappointed with WW after getting caught up in all the pre-screening hype.
    Coming from two Utes, I can understand why you are in bed together.

    I enjoyed it as much as one can enjoy a comic book made movie, especially since my wife went and enjoyed herself. I would rate it about a 7.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  12. #5262
    Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    44,380

    Default

    Comic book movies are so dumb. No plans to see WW.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Socialism is not bad IMHO" - byu71
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

  13. #5263
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,316

    Default

    I wasn't much impressed by WW, but I've talked with a few women of considerable intelligence who really liked it because of the feminist angle. It would be interesting to see a Rotten Tomatoes survey based on gender.

  14. #5264
    Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    44,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I wasn't much impressed by WW, but I've talked with a few women of considerable intelligence who really liked it because of the feminist angle. It would be interesting to see a Rotten Tomatoes survey based on gender.
    A movie made for the era of social justice.

    I know what you mean. I’ve seen a bunch of women on Facebook comment on how they were thrilled when they saw wonder woman’s thighs jiggle. “She’s one of us!”
    "Socialism is not bad IMHO" - byu71
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

  15. #5265
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    4,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Comic book movies are so dumb. No plans to see WW.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Totally agree. Have only seen a few but they are stupid. I saw the Avengers because it was talked up so much. Really bad

  16. #5266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    "Bridge of Spies" was one of the better movies we've seen in a long while. The character development of the protagonist, the depiction of the times, the concerns of the attorney as well as what the social sentiments were at the time seemed very authentic. Some of the little details such as climbing over the walls made it tighter than I would have expected.
    I'm not a huge movie watcher, but saw this on TV the other day and gave it a try. I really enjoyed it.

  17. #5267
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    8,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I'm not a huge movie watcher, but saw this on TV the other day and gave it a try. I really enjoyed it.
    Not sure if I already commented on it, but I enjoyed Bridge of Spies as well. Interesting to see all the interaction between the various agencies/countries trying to accomplish their own diverse goals.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  18. #5268
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    10,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Not sure if I already commented on it, but I enjoyed Bridge of Spies as well. Interesting to see all the interaction between the various agencies/countries trying to accomplish their own diverse goals.
    When we visited Berlin recently, we tried to trace some of the spots identified in the movie. It was kinda eerie to walk and travel within former East Berlin, although admittedly much less so than it would have been in 1990.
    Last edited by Topper; 10-13-2017 at 10:52 AM.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  19. #5269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Coming from two Utes, I can understand why you are in bed together.

    I enjoyed it as much as one can enjoy a comic book made movie, especially since my wife went and enjoyed herself. I would rate it about a 7.
    go fuck yourself
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  20. #5270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Comic book movies are so dumb. No plans to see WW.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    preach.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  21. #5271
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Comic book movies are so dumb. No plans to see WW.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I generally agree with you. But I really liked (and still enjoy) the last two Christopher Nolan Batman movies.

  22. #5272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    go f*k yourself
    Seems like a ban-worthy insult from the Topper.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  23. #5273
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    14,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    mrs smr convinced me to see wonder woman. on a scale from 1 -10, I've decided superhero movies have a ceiling of about a 3.5. I'd give ww a solid 2.5. incredibly dumb (like all superhero movies) and probably not worth the $2 or whatever i paid at the dollar theater, but it entertained me sufficiently and i enjoy hanging with the mrs, so I'd call it a success.
    So all things equal you give this movie a 7? That's about the consensus.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  24. #5274
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,300

    Default

    In general I think the superhero movies are pretty bad. I thought WW was pretty good until it turned into the final big confrontation. Up til then I liked it quite a bit. As far as action type movies go, it wasn't bad. Much more watchable, IMO, than any of the fast and furious franchise, for example (although to be honest, I have never made it through a FandF movie).
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  25. #5275

    Default

    I've never been much into superhero movies either, but after I gave Man of Steel a try (because Nolan was involved) I gave up. Haven't seen one since.
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

  26. #5276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    In general I think the superhero movies are pretty bad. I thought WW was pretty good until it turned into the final big confrontation. Up til then I liked it quite a bit. As far as action type movies go, it wasn't bad. Much more watchable, IMO, than any of the fast and furious franchise, for example (although to be honest, I have never made it through a FandF movie).
    Same

  27. #5277
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    10,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I've never been much into superhero movies either, but after I gave Man of Steel a try (because Nolan was involved) I gave up. Haven't seen one since.
    You guys are all too high brow, and miss the point of various genres.

    Comic book movies are a lighter version of pure violence to let it all out type of movie. Naturally they try to tap into the dark doubts of the would be hero or heroine, but the movies are not supposed to be deep philosophical works of art.

    They are the modern version of the spaghetti western, just bad guys, more bad guys, and few good guys shooting it up. This is not to say they should replace works of art or other genres, but if you take them for what they are supposed, escapism with no point other than to watch shit be blown up, then they can be worth the price of popcorn and some soda.

    We have more narrow versions of the genre in terms of the "fight movie" or the sports hero who is down and out. The plots are very similar to that genre.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  28. #5278

    Default

    we watched interstellar again last week (after originally seeing it in theaters). it's underappreciated and going to be recognized as a classic
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  29. #5279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Same
    sorry to be a one-upper, but I've never even started a fast and furious movie. (c:
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

  30. #5280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    You guys are all too high brow, and miss the point of various genres.

    Comic book movies are a lighter version of pure violence to let it all out type of movie. Naturally they try to tap into the dark doubts of the would be hero or heroine, but the movies are not supposed to be deep philosophical works of art.

    They are the modern version of the spaghetti western, just bad guys, more bad guys, and few good guys shooting it up. This is not to say they should replace works of art or other genres, but if you take them for what they are supposed, escapism with no point other than to watch shit be blown up, then they can be worth the price of popcorn and some soda.

    We have more narrow versions of the genre in terms of the "fight movie" or the sports hero who is down and out. The plots are very similar to that genre.
    They are also modern versions of mythology. And could be so much more than just CGI, bad acting and bad dialogue porn.
    I get the various genres, and these are just money making formulas that are safe and easy to make. Like you say, they are made because people go to them.
    I just wish every once in a while something meaningful would emerge. Mythology is too important for it not be. How long has it been since Dark Knight?
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •