Page 198 of 198 FirstFirst ... 98148188196197198
Results 5,911 to 5,940 of 5940

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

Searching. I thought it was a solid thriller. A father's daughter goes missing and he combs through her social media etc. looking for clues and realizes how much he doesn't know. A solid B grade from me.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    Has anyone seen “The Three Identical Strangers” Documentary (I did not see a post about it here)?

I have had co-workers recommend it. That is is well done and pretty shocking.

I am hoping PAC has it on his list to see and provide his review.

I am sure some of you older member may have remembered this story as it was national news back in the 80’s. The three identical twins separated at birth and adopted out.

Trailer:
    https://youtu.be/c-OF0OaK3o0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just saw this yesterday. I recommend it also. It is a crazy story. It was sobering to contemplate the 'nature vs nurture' argument watching it. There are some things that are just too hard to overcome. Life is hard.

I am racking my brain trying to remember any news reference about this, but I don't remember any of it. The documentary sure made it look like it was a national story.

A Star is Born

Slight spoilers ahead

Wife's turn to pick, and I wasn't excited to see this, despite its high IMDB rating, trailers made it seem like a rags to riches feel good movie with a country music theme to boot.

But wow, really powerful film. The first 20 minutes or so could be a perfect short film with the rags to riches theme, but done in a little bit more artsy way than expected. Then the film pivots into a character piece with great acting, scene pacing, and dramatic build up going away from the feel good story and getting gritty and real and almost a little too dark. I think this will probably get a lot of Oscar buzz.

Great debut for Bradley Cooper as a director. Was not expecting that.
    Last edited by jay santos; 10-06-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    A Star is Born

Slight spoilers ahead

Wife's turn to pick, and I wasn't excited to see this, despite its high IMDB rating, trailers made it seem like a rags to riches feel good movie with a country music theme to boot.

But wow, really powerful film. The first 20 minutes or so could be a perfect short film with the rags to riches theme, but done in a little bit more artsy way than expected. Then the film pivots into a character piece with great acting, scene pacing, and dramatic build up going away from the feel good story and getting gritty and real and almost a little too dark. I think this will probably get a lot of Oscar buzz.

Great debut for Bradley Cooper as a director. Was not expecting that.
    I want to see this.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I want to see this.
    We saw this tonight. It's winning awards.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Venom.

Panned by the critics but secretly maybe my favorite Marvel movie. Definitely liked it way more than any ‘Avengers’ flick.
    Last edited by Commando; 10-13-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Venom.

Panned by the critics but secretly maybe my favorite Marvel movie. Definitely liked it way more than any ‘Avengers’ flick.
    I thought it was super mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    I thought it was super mediocre.
    I guess you're not alone if rotten tomatoes is accurate at all. I just really love the character of Venom and I'm a fan of Tom Hardy's acting. So much fun and maybe a little more satisfying than it should be for one of these superheroes to just be murdering people without prejudice. I mean- he's an alien! Why would he adhere to our middle-American morays in the slightest except out of deference to his host? I got a big kick out of that dynamic in the context of the ever-PG-13 Marvel universe.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

i walked out of venom. my daughter told me how it ended when i got home and it sounds like it got better had i been patient. probably stayed for about the first half of the show, and holy hell - so dumb. and to be fair, i came in not knowing a thing about venom other than my son told me he's one of the bad guys in spiderman.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I’ve been engrossed by the U.S. space program since making my own space capsule after Alan Shepard’s initial flight in 1961 (I was eight, so give me a break). I’ve enjoyed The Right Stuff, Apollo 13, Hidden Figures and other movies about the program in the ‘60s and early ‘70s, and First Man is as good or better than those, but it’s something very different. Some will find it very slow at times, as it examines Neal Armstrong’s motivations and psyche, and sometimes director Damon Chazelle (Whiplash, La La Land) gets a bit ponderous. But the action sequences are expertly done and very harrowing, with death seeming a near certainty multiple times. It instills a new appreciation for what our space pioneers were able to achieve.

It’s also interesting to do a compare and contrast with the ‘60s and now. For example, Armstrong’s humility, shyness and reserve vs. today’s social media usage in which one makes public announcements about the most trivial of deeds. And it’s interesting that following First Man’s premiere, several commentators ripped on the movie for not showing Armstrong and Aldrin planting the U.S. flag on the moon (although one can see the flag in the background). Such criticism exemplifies the current fixation on superficialities when it comes to patriotism, and yet the depiction of JFK’s stirring call to go to the moon, and the countless untrumpeted sacrifices made by so many great Americans to get there, make First Man among the most patriotic of movies.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I’ve been engrossed by the U.S. space program since making my own space capsule after Alan Shepard’s initial flight in 1961 (I was eight, so give me a break). I’ve enjoyed The Right Stuff, Apollo 13, Hidden Figures and other movies about the program in the ‘60s and early ‘70s, and First Man is as good or better than those, but it’s something very different. Some will find it very slow at times, as it examines Neal Armstrong’s motivations and psyche, and sometimes director Damon Chazelle (Whiplash, La La Land) gets a bit ponderous. But the action sequences are expertly done and very harrowing, with death seeming a near certainty multiple times. It instills a new appreciation for what our space pioneers were able to achieve.

It’s also interesting to do a compare and contrast with the ‘60s and now. For example, Armstrong’s humility, shyness and reserve vs. today’s social media usage in which one makes public announcements about the most trivial of deeds. And it’s interesting that following First Man’s premiere, several commentators ripped on the movie for not showing Armstrong and Aldrin planting the U.S. flag on the moon (although one can see the flag in the background). Such criticism exemplifies the current fixation on superficialities when it comes to patriotism, and yet the depiction of JFK’s stirring call to go to the moon, and the countless untrumpeted sacrifices made by so many great Americans to get there, make First Man among the most patriotic of movies.
    Yeah, that is what I don't get... you see the flag all over the place. It is on their space suits, on the LEM, planted on the moon, etc. I don't see what folks are upset about. They should be more upset letting a dumb Canadian play Neal Armstrong.

I was really disappointed that they left out was the story about the broken circuit breaker switch. That potentially could have left them stranded on the moon with no way of firing the LEM's rocket engines.

After scribbling the notes, as he and Armstrong prepared to leave the Moon, Aldrin writes, "I noticed that the ascent engine arming breaker push/pull switch was broken. Apparently during movement wearing our large space suit 'backpacks,' either Neil or I bumped into this panel and broke off that particular switch."

This was not good.

"Mission Control verified that the switch was open, meaning that the engine was currently unarmed. If we could not get the engine armed, we could be stranded on the Moon."

One small switch. One giant problem.

So Aldrin quickly started thinking of a solution. He didn't need help from a complex computer analysis, because the situation did not involve a complex computer. It was a simple switch. "As it turned, out," Aldrin says, "the very pen I used to record these notes was the perfect tool to engage this circuit breaker." Which is exactly what happened.
    There wasn't much explanation about the 1201/1202 navigational computer errors either. That was potentially a huge problem as well since the computer was suppose to help them land on the moon but kept overloading with on the radar data. Armstrong, being the claim guy he was, just ignored that problem and landed the LEM himself without the aid of the computer with only seconds of fuel left. The director really missed a great opportunity in this movie to make it much more of a triller but clearly that wasn't his point.
    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 10-18-2018 at 08:53 AM.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    I was really disappointed that they left out was the story about the broken circuit breaker switch. That potentially could have left them stranded on the moon with no way of firing the LEM's rocket engines.

There wasn't much explanation about the 1201/1202 navigational computer errors either. That was potentially a huge problem as well since the computer was suppose to help them land on the moon but kept overloading with on the radar data. Armstrong, being the claim guy he was, just ignored that problem and landed the LEM himself without the aid of the computer with only seconds of fuel left. The director really missed a great opportunity in this movie to make it much more of a triller but clearly that wasn't his point.
    That's interesting, UT, and thanks for the link. During the descent, as they called out things like "1201 error!," my wife leaned over and said, "I wish I knew what was going on." "Me, too!" You're right the focus was just on Armstrong and much less on the play-by-play, but as you note it would have made for a more exciting experience to know better what was happening.

It was also interesting to see how clunky the switches and instrumentation were, along with the handwritten notes taped to their dashboards.

Yeah, that is what I don't get... you see the flag all over the place. It is on their space suits, on the LEM, planted on the moon, etc. I don't see what folks are upset about. They should be more upset letting a dumb Canadian play Neal Armstrong.

I remember that. Everyone back in mission control was about to have a heart attack by the time they touched down.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

It was also interesting to see how clunky the switches and instrumentation were, along with the handwritten notes taped to their dashboards.
    That's what struck me also. It's amazing what they were able to accomplish in that short of time and what they had at the time. As someone who is very claustrophobic I'm not sure how they did it, I was uncomfortable just watching the movie.

Thanks for the review. I’m excited to see this one. The documentary series “When We Left Earth” is great and helped me appreciate even more what those guys were doing. They weren’t just brilliant engineers and pilots, they were freaking daredevils.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Also realizing how flimsy that metal capsule is they were jetting around in space in. Balls of steel, all of them. Completely teetering on the edge of disaster depending on some scientist not messing up some equations on their NASA blackboards...

That's interesting, UT, and thanks for the link. During the descent, as they called out things like "1201 error!," my wife leaned over and said, "I wish I knew what was going on." "Me, too!" You're right the focus was just on Armstrong and much less on the play-by-play, but as you note it would have made for a more exciting experience to know better what was happening.

My wife did the same... leaning over and asking about the "1201" error. I think she thought since I work as a computer engineer that is something that I see all the time. Fortunately I had read about about it beforehand and simply told her, like an expert, "The LEM computer with its huge 2K of memory and 2 Mhz CPU is getting overloaded with data." She said, "Oh".

Last edited by Uncle Ted; 10-18-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

My wife did the same... leaning over and asking about the "1201" error. I think she thought since I work as a computer engineer that is something that I see all the time. Fortunately I had read about about it beforehand and simply told her, like an expert, "The LEM computer with its huge 2K of memory and 2 Mhz CPU is getting overloaded with data." She said, "Oh".

I would have loved to have been able to respond with that, even it meant an almost certain elbow to the ribs and an eyeroll.

I would have loved to have been able to respond with that, even it meant an almost certain elbow to the ribs and an eyeroll.
    UT Dallas and NASA put together this website that has some of the Apollo 11 chat... Pretty cool. Here is part of the landing chat up until the first 1201 alarm:

https://app.exploreapollo.org/stories/story/2/moment/4

I read somewhere that Buzz Aldrin was freaking out to himself as he looked down as saw all the huge boulders they were flying over as they were landing.

Neil looked through his triangular window and studied the desolate, crater-pocked surface before him. He had made many simulated runs, pored over dozens of photographs taken by Apollo 10 marking the way, landmark by landmark, down to the Sea of Tranquility. He knew their intended landing site as well as he knew familiar airfields back home, and he immediately saw they weren't where they were supposed to be. Damn!

Eagle had overshot by four miles. A slight navigational error and a faster-than-intended descent speed accounted for their lunar module missing its planned touchdown spot. Neil studied the rugged surface rising toward him, and Buzz noted a crater wider than a football field. Eagle was running out of fuel and heading straight for a gaping lunar pit filled with boulders larger than Purdue jitneys.

Scientifically, it would be great to land next to and explore a crater gouged into lunar soil, but Neil quickly ascertained that the slope around it was too steep. If Eagle landed on a tilt, they could never launch back into orbit.

With not a second to waste, Neil realized he was on his own. This was where experience and training came into play, and he looked beyond the crater. He gripped Eagle’s maneuvering handle and translator with a touch honed by years of flying the smallest and the largest, the slowest and the fastest. Neil knew the "thin edge" well — hell, he'd written the manual, and he had to fly as he'd never flown before.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/science/spac...y-moon-n160386

Armstrong should have aborted the landing but being one of the best (if not the best) Apollo astronaut saved the mission (and maybe the Apollo program).
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

We went to "Free Solo" this past weekend, the climb of Alex Honnald up El Capitan. This was one of the most enjoyable things I've seen in a theater in a long time. The film looks at his life growing up and his life outside of climbing, very unique and really emotionally dead person but I think you'd almost have to be to take the risk that he does. The climb itself takes up very little of the movie but it's very nerve racking even knowing that he makes it. The preparation for the climb was really interesting, 31 pitches and thousands of moves were rehearsed and thought through in order to make it. I think it's probably the greatest athletic achievement in my lifetime.

Saw this over the weekend on IMAX. I am a NASA geek, so I enjoyed it overall but but the way it was filmed kind of ruined it for me. The shaky cam/constant closeup/out-of-focus shots were too much. I hate that gimmick.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Saw this over the weekend on IMAX. I am a NASA geek, so I enjoyed it overall but but the way it was filmed kind of ruined it for me. The shaky cam/constant closeup/out-of-focus shots were too much. I hate that gimmick.
    The other thing I noticed is it seems they went to extremes to make all the equipment look old and crusty. For example before they even open the LEM they show a shot of the dials and switches and they seem to be covered in dust and dirt. It seems they got their props from the Johnson space center dumpster.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Well we did get to the moon on the equivalent of an adding machine. M+ and M- baby.

I realize that it is quite the fashion to do dark movies that don't celebrate any concrete events as much as they do the inner angst of the protagonist. (This based on the KSL review). If he hadn't planted the flag, would we be watching this movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Well we did get to the moon on the equivalent of an adding machine. M+ and M- baby.

I realize that it is quite the fashion to do dark movies that don't celebrate any concrete events as much as they do the inner angst of the protagonist. (This based on the KSL review). If he hadn't planted the flag, would we be watching this movie?
    After seeing the movie, I can say definitively that the whole flag-planting controversy was stupid. Beating the Russians in the space race and making huge sacrifices along the way was a central theme of the storyline.

The other thing I noticed is it seems they went to extremes to make all the equipment look old and crusty. For example before they even open the LEM they show a shot of the dials and switches and they seem to be covered in dust and dirt. It seems they got their props from the Johnson space center dumpster.
    Yeah, that was weird.

Another thing that bugged me was the shakiness and noise as they were descending to land on the moon. gtfo. The moon has no atmosphere. We have video and audio of the landing and it was nothing like what was portrayed in the movie.

Also thought it was unfortunate how they made Buzz Aldrin out to be a weenie. Unfair and unnecessary.

I saw Halloween. It was a lot of fun. Slashers are not my deal it’s an easy recommend for horror fans.

Saw First Man over the weekend and hated it. Like all the geeks here I love the Apollos/Gemini stories, but this movie did not do them justice. Gosling was horrible, especially his attempts to have a timid voice. The overly dramatic pauses, the camera shaking even when just following people walking down the street, and an overall storyline that was just poorly put together. I don't disagree with PAC too often, but I much preferred Hidden Figures and Apollo 13 to this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    Saw First Man over the weekend and hated it. Like all the geeks here I love the Apollos/Gemini stories, but this movie did not do them justice. Gosling was horrible, especially his attempts to have a timid voice. The overly dramatic pauses, the camera shaking even when just following people walking down the street, and an overall storyline that was just poorly put together. I don't disagree with PAC too often, but I much preferred Hidden Figures and Apollo 13 to this movie.
    Mrs. PAC strongly agrees with you and the Dude.

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    Yeah, from a NASA nerd perspective First Man sucked. I agree that Hidden Figures and Apollo 13 are much better. They missed the mark telling the full Apollo 11 story (e.g., being off by miles of the landing site, how close they were to running out of fuel, the broken switch, the lunar boulder field, explanation of the 1201/1202 errors which made the guidance computer reboot continuously and effectively worthless which forced Armstrong to make the landing completely manually, etc.) The movie seemed to be more of an attempt of trying to explain why Neil Armstrong was the way he was. Yes, Armstrong lost his daughter but maybe they should have also mentioned that he was shot down and almost killed in the Korean war as a Navy pilot. Or that he first marriage wasn't all that solid (he later ended up getting divorced). In short, there are a lot of factors that could have contributed to the way his was. The movie seemed to try to focus primarily on his daughter and as the only contributing factor. In any case, Armstrong saved two NASA missions from disaster but the movie really doesn't tell that story.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    I saw Halloween. It was a lot of fun. Slashers are not my deal it’s an easy recommend for horror fans.
    Halloween is the only slasher movie I have ever enjoyed. To this day the Halloween theme music is my ex-wife's ring tone.
    "In heaven, all the interesting people are missing." - Friedrich Nietzsche