The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
    we watched interstellar again last week (after originally seeing it in theaters). it's underappreciated and going to be recognized as a classic
    I agree, it is glorious.

I watched Dunkirk this week for the third time with my daughter. Even in a dollar theater it turned on my tears.

Nolan is a gift.
    I intend to live forever.
    So far, so good.
    --Steven Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      I wasn't much impressed by WW, but I've talked with a few women of considerable intelligence who really liked it because of the feminist angle. It would be interesting to see a Rotten Tomatoes survey based on gender.
      I thought it actually under-delivered if you went in hoping for a feminist angle. It depicts a society of women who, left to their own devices for a few thousand years, have achieved ... ? Nothing really. They spend all their time obsessing over going to war with men, but even in that they're pretty bad -- never got past using the swords and spears they started with. No art, no technology, no democracy (still ruled by a queen), nothing. Their entire society not only fails the Bechdel test but fails at the one thing it was supposed to be good at -- war. Maybe they felt constrained by the source material, but I thought it was going to revel in how advanced, enlightened, and culturally rich their society would be, instead of giving us a bunch of uninspired hoplites with bad accents.

Comment

• I actually Wonder Woman was pretty decent. It, along with Logan and Dead Pool are some of the better comic book movies as of late. I didn't enjoy the recent Spiderman movie much.

Last movie I saw Brad's Status. It's a really subtle and quiet movie about Brad, played by Ben Stiller, who goes with his son to check out Harvard. During the story Brad connects by phone with old college friend's of his who had proven to be incredibly wealthy and successful, while he has only started a non-profit. It causes a bit of an identify crisis, and has Brad reassess his life. It is both melancholic and hopeful. 3.5 out of 5.

Comment

• Today I watch Blade Runner 2049 and I must say that is very boring, but I don't like that type of movie.
          foosball tables by foosball zone

Comment

• Last Temptation of Christ

Caught in on TV on a lazy Sunday afternoon. I was mesmerized. Watched it and immediately watched most of it again. Not sure why I've never watched it before. Right on the edge in terms of pushing the boundaries of appropriateness and good taste when it comes to a Jesus believer and obviously offensive to a lot of people, but yet also doctrinally interesting and in a weird way faith affirming. Beautiful film with outstanding acting by Dafoe and Keitel. I think this might immediately go into my top 10.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              Last Temptation of Christ

Caught in on TV on a lazy Sunday afternoon. I was mesmerized. Watched it and immediately watched most of it again. Not sure why I've never watched it before. Right on the edge in terms of pushing the boundaries of appropriateness and good taste when it comes to a Jesus believer and obviously offensive to a lot of people, but yet also doctrinally interesting and in a weird way faith affirming. Beautiful film with outstanding acting by Dafoe and Keitel. I think this might immediately go into my top 10.
              Interesting. I got partway through and couldn't finish it.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Interesting. I got partway through and couldn't finish it.
                Theologically, one of the things that's been interesting to me recently is the idea that Jesus was fully human and fully divine. Something we as Mormons (and throw most Christians in there along with us--we're not special in this regard), don't seem to understand well. Understandable. How could you, really? But our scriptures take it very seriously. Mosiah 15:1-5, Alma 7:11-12. What exactly did it mean when the God in heaven came down and inserted himself into a baby human form?

He used humor. He appeared to act rashly at times. He was tribal. He knew hunger. He appeared to experience life in a very normal human way to some degree. Did he know anger and lust? He defined those as sin. And we say he was sinless, so we typically say he didn't. But does that really make sense? Did he have perfect knowledge of who he was and his mission from the beginning? How could it be a truly human experience without experiencing lust, rage, doubt? Didn't he need to, for his human experience to have any impact? If the outcome was never in doubt, would he truly be able to use the experience to "succor his people"? Did he ever waver?

This film really explored Jesus from the perspective of being fully human, and though it obviously had all the kickback from the religious right, I think it did a fair job of also incorporating a faithful element of him being potentially fully divine also. Really had me thinking. Plus it was just overall well made with the acting and dialogue, imo.
                Last edited by jay santos; 10-23-2017, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                  Theologically, one of the things that's been interesting to me recently is the idea that Jesus was fully human and fully divine. Something we as Mormons (and throw most Christians in there along with us--we're not special in this regard), don't seem to understand well. Understandable. How could you, really? But our scriptures take it very seriously. Mosiah 15:1-5, Alma 7:11-12. What exactly did it mean when the God in heaven came down and inserted himself into a baby human form?

He used humor. He appeared to act rashly at times. He was tribal. He knew hunger. He appeared to experience life in a very normal human way to some degree. Did he know anger and lust? He defined those as sin. And we say he was sinless, so we typically say he didn't. But does that really make sense? Did he have perfect knowledge of who he was and his mission from the beginning? How could it be a truly human experience without experiencing lust, rage, doubt? Didn't he need to, for his human experience to have any impact? If the outcome was never in doubt, would he truly be able to use the experience to "succor his people"? Did he ever waver?

This film really explored Jesus from the perspective of being fully human, and though it obviously had all the kickback from the religious right, I think it did a fair job of also incorporating a faithful element of him being potentially fully divine also. Really had me thinking. Plus it was just overall well made with the acting and dialogue, imo.
                  Whoa, hang on. Sorry, I confused this movie with the Passion of the Christ by Mel Gibson. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Hidden Figures. What a gem.

Comment

• Blade runner 2049. It was too long and plodding. The deep questions (what is it to be human etc) from the original are lost in the script. Gosling is not a very good actor, IMO, as he always look alike gosling acting as opposed to his character.

That said the film is gorgeous to watch. The world it creates is fascinating. And i still think it’s worth seeing, but more so if it could be trimmed by about 30 minutes.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• An American Werewolf in London - Had never seen it. Liked the first part when they're in the moors the best. Out of curiosity, I looked up Ebert's review. He gave it 2/4 stars. Saw that at least one random website listed it as a review he got "wrong." He described it as seeming "curiously unfinished" and I agree. Some cool scenes (stealing a coat at the zoo, stalking the businessman in the underground, etc.) and flashes of a good movie but on the whole it felt a bit incomplete. The famous transformation scene was cool.

Brotherhood of the Wolf - 2001 French genre-bender -- part period piece, part horror, part kung fu. The king's naturalist and his Iroquois/ninja best friend are sent to a rural province to hunt the Beast of Gevadaun, which has killed a number of locals. It's a bit goofy, but largely played straight. The setting is neat but the martial arts are weak. Includes Vincent Cassel and Monica Bellucci in supporting roles. I think its fans overrate it but I'm glad someone made it. Entertaining though not particularly good.

Interestingly, apparently the beast was a real threat that caused a panic in the 1760s. Had never heard of it. Per Wikipedia, it may have killed 60 to 110 or so people.

Comment

• The Dark Tower - Liked it. Haven't read the books. You can't really go wrong with McConaughey and Idris Elba. The story is a bit simplistic and I'm not really sure why much of anything is going on in the movie, but it's cool and there's at least a decent plot and the movie moves along at a decent pace. I got to imagine the books would be much, much better and give a lot more detail.

Superman Homecoming - Ha, so the streak of really bad superhero movies comes to an end. This one isn't great, but it's at least refreshing...kind of like Deadpool but without the vulgarity and some other stuff. I still don't care so much for Spiderman the superhero, but I liked this Spiderman better than the Tobey Mcguire one and whoever the other guy was inbetween them (totally forgetful, I don't think I even watched his movies or I fell asleep in them). While the movie wasn't really bad, it was good but more closer to average than great...so kind of like mediocrely good. One thumb up and one pinky kinda up.

Pirates of the Carribean Dead Man Tell no Tales - I saw this one two weeks ago. I saw number one (loved it and still love it), number two (didn't understand a word the creepy Cajun lady said so didn't follow it), and number three (fell asleep a couple minutes in and woke up to crabs carrying a ship on dry land...WTF?). Haven't seen any others, but frankly you don't really need to see any of them because none of them make any sense. This one made even less sense, plus the female character was not attractive so not only did it not make sense but there was really nothing else to enjoy. Apparently this is the last of the franchise....well, until they reboot it in 10 years because Legolas needs some cash.

A Dog's Purpose - The kids chose this one. I lasted five minutes and left to go work in the garage.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            The Dark Tower - Liked it. Haven't read the books. You can't really go wrong with McConaughey and Idris Elba. The story is a bit simplistic and I'm not really sure why much of anything is going on in the movie, but it's cool and there's at least a decent plot and the movie moves along at a decent pace. I got to imagine the books would be much, much better and give a lot more detail.

Superman Homecoming - Ha, so the streak of really bad superhero movies comes to an end. This one isn't great, but it's at least refreshing...kind of like Deadpool but without the vulgarity and some other stuff. I still don't care so much for Spiderman the superhero, but I liked this Spiderman better than the Tobey Mcguire one and whoever the other guy was inbetween them (totally forgetful, I don't think I even watched his movies or I fell asleep in them). While the movie wasn't really bad, it was good but more closer to average than great...so kind of like mediocrely good. One thumb up and one pinky kinda up.

Pirates of the Carribean Dead Man Tell no Tales - I saw this one two weeks ago. I saw number one (loved it and still love it), number two (didn't understand a word the creepy Cajun lady said so didn't follow it), and number three (fell asleep a couple minutes in and woke up to crabs carrying a ship on dry land...WTF?). Haven't seen any others, but frankly you don't really need to see any of them because none of them make any sense. This one made even less sense, plus the female character was not attractive so not only did it not make sense but there was really nothing else to enjoy. Apparently this is the last of the franchise....well, until they reboot it in 10 years because Legolas needs some cash.

A Dog's Purpose - The kids chose this one. I lasted five minutes and left to go work in the garage.
                            No falling asleep ratings? Come on, man.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                              Hidden Figures. What a gem.
                              yup. I don't see a lot of movies, so the bar is low, but it is firmly in my top 10 and the best I've seen in the last 5 years.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                                yup. I don't see a lot of movies, so the bar is low, but it is firmly in my top 10 and the best I've seen in the last 5 years.
                                I need to see that. The book was really interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X