No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldie but Goodie - If you haven't seen this movie, watch it during your quarantine.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• A couple of family-friendly options we watched during the pandemic:

The Court Jester (streaming on Prime) - starring Danny Kaye, Basil Rathbone, and Angela Lansbury
      This is a fun movie that was enjoyed by both my 15-year-old and my 10-year-old. I made the 12-year-old watch even though she protested. She claimed not to enjoy it.

The Cowboys (recorded off the air) - Starring John Wayne, Bruce Dern, and a lot of kids
      John Wayne's character hires a bunch of kids to help him with a cattle drive. Even my 12-year-old enjoyed this one.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Just Mercy. I was apprehensive going in because I loved the book so much, but my wife and I both loved it.

Downton Abbey. If you are a fan of the series, you will enjoy it.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• [QUOTE=Jeff Lebowski;1454851]Just Mercy. I was apprehensive going in because I loved the book so much, but my wife and I both loved it.

I loved the book as well and have been hesitant to watch. On your recommendation, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by originalsocal View Post
            I loved the book as well and have been hesitant to watch. On your recommendation, I'll check it out. Thanks!
            I thought Michael B. Jordan did a nice job capturing Bryan Stevenson's personality and mannerisms. There are so many cases where he is talking to cops, prosecutors, guards, etc where I am sure I would want to punch or scream or something if I were in that situation and he would deliver a perfectly crafted calm but firm response.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• We are doing a movie per night during this shelter at home order. Everyone has to participate and phones are put away. There are five of us and we rotate the selection oldest to youngest. We are 12 days in to this new tradition, and I look forward it to as much as I look forward to dinner.

Here is what we have chosen:

Me: The Fast and the Furious, 2 Fast 2 Furious, The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift

Wife: Tron (new version), Super 8, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Oldest Son: 1917, Ad Astra

Middle Son: Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back

Daughter: My Neighbor Totoro, The Greatest Showman
              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• We watched a documentary on Audrey Hepburn a week or so ago, so I watched Roman Holiday.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                  We are doing a movie per night during this shelter at home order. Everyone has to participate and phones are put away. There are five of us and we rotate the selection oldest to youngest. We are 12 days in to this new tradition, and I look forward it to as much as I look forward to dinner.

Here is what we have chosen:

Me: The Fast and the Furious, 2 Fast 2 Furious, The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift

Wife: Tron (new version), Super 8, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Oldest Son: 1917, Ad Astra

Middle Son: Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back

Daughter: My Neighbor Totoro, The Greatest Showman
                  That's a really fun thing to do. I would love to try something like that, but I'd have to wait about 5 years at least. You can't just let 9 year old girls choose a movie for the whole family.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I watched a movie, Amazing Grace, for a class at BYU-I. It was done in 2006, British film, about the efforts of William Wilburforce and his efforts to abolish the slave trade in England in the early 1800's. Really well done.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                      I watched a movie, Amazing Grace, for a class at BYU-I. It was done in 2006, British film, about the efforts of William Wilburforce and his efforts to abolish the slave trade in England in the early 1800's. Really well done.
                      You just brought back a memory, i haven't' thought of in 25 years. I had to watch some old movies for one of my classes (maybe Humanities) at BYU. This was in the early 90s so it was difficult to find old VHS or Beta copies of movies. This particular one was available to watch in a weird room in the basement of library. I don't remember anything about the movie, other than it had a brief boob flash. I recall being worried someone was watching me, watching the movie in my little cubicle with headphones on. BYU truly is a peculiar place

Comment

• I had to watch a movie just to participate in this thread. Quigley Down Under was a suggest YouTube view - so I did. If I had to be stuck in a movie - that would be a good one. Western Australia late 1800's. Now that Marsden's dead, it will be a nicer place.

Laura Di Giacomo looked better than I remembered her.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                        -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• I'm a Hitchcock fan, but I don't like either version of The Man Who Knew Too Much.
                          We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                            I'm a Hitchcock fan, but I don't like either version of The Man Who Knew Too Much.
                            I am a big fan of The Man Who Knew Too Little.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                              That film is probably underrated. It seemed to catch some Kingpin fallout.
                              We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                                Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                                That film is probably underrated. It seemed to catch some Kingpin fallout.
                                Agreed; it's only a 41% on RT and 6.7 on IMDB but it's a funny movie, thanks mainly to Bill Murray. And I loved the final match in Kingpin between Murray and Woody Harrelson, with their hideous combovers flapping in the breeze.

Comment

Working...
                                X