The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
    Just saw it. So messed up! I'm on my own in San Francisco for a conference and hit the cinema on a solo mission. Very similar vibe to the Witch, but not really until the very last scene, and that's when it really reminded me of the Witch. In fact, now that I think about it, it was almost the exact same payoff, but it was great.

Spoiler for what I didn't really like:
    What I didn't like too much is the fate of the little girl. That was sudden and pretty messed up. Not a fan of seeing a little kid get killed like that- pretty awful. As for what worked for me? The mom's behavior was completely unnerving and I think that's what made this whole thing go. And along with the implications of the title- Hereditary- and allusions to her sleepwalking and nearly killing Peter in her sleep, you couldn't trust her character for a second. I also liked that there is a whole lot of story here that they didn't come out and spoon feed the audience. As I was sitting there when they kind of glazed over the whole 'Joan' conspiracy thing, I was thinking "aw shit- I'm totally going to have to go on youtube to get explanations of this" lol. And then when the husband accused HER of putting the body in the attic I had to stop and wonder for just a second if that's really what happened. And about that ending- so creepy! That hit just right. It wasn't punching you in the face with the whole Satanic thing like the Exorcist or something, but was more like 1700's style occult stuff, which is somehow more menacing and creepy. OH and those naked people in the shadows- that effect they used that had apparitions in the background? Awesome. Oh! I also liked that it was totally filmed in Utah. That funeral- I was trying to decide which cemetery in Provo they were at.
    The funeral was in Sandy for sure.

What a messed up movie. Amazing acting, especially by the Mom and Son.

Comment

• The only acceptable and available movie last night at the Cineplex was Ant-Man and the Wasp--the missus was surprisingly willing to join me, so off we went. I’m not much of a Marvel superhero fan, but I like the ones that have enough good dialogue and humor and this one qualifies. It’s better than the first Ant-Man (which I enjoyed), with several LOL moments, some great local shots (it’s set in San Francisco, Muir Woods, and Berkeley), and a strong cast (Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Michael Douglas, Laurence Fishburne, Michelle Pfeiffer, and the always funny Michael Pena, among others). It drags a bit whenever it tries to explain the “science,” although I liked one line mocking how everyone uses the word “quantum” in describing things. The movie is far more entertaining when it leaves the “quantum realm” for the streets of San Francisco. The device of superimposing Pena’s voice over several different characters talking during a recap of prior incidents, and a bit where seagulls near Pier 39 pick off various insects trying to help Ant-Man (“Murderers!”), were especially funny.

Entertaining, plus my wife enjoyed it, which was nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        The only acceptable and available movie last night at the Cineplex was Ant-Man and the Wasp--the missus was surprisingly willing to join me, so off we went. I’m not much of a Marvel superhero fan, but I like the ones that have enough good dialogue and humor and this one qualifies. It’s better than the first Ant-Man (which I enjoyed), with several LOL moments, some great local shots (it’s set in San Francisco, Muir Woods, and Berkeley), and a strong cast (Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Michael Douglas, Laurence Fishburne, Michelle Pfeiffer, and the always funny Michael Pena, among others). It drags a bit whenever it tries to explain the “science,” although I liked one line mocking how everyone uses the word “quantum” in describing things. The movie is far more entertaining when it leaves the “quantum realm” for the streets of San Francisco. The device of superimposing Pena’s voice over several different characters talking during a recap of prior incidents, and a bit where seagulls near Pier 39 pick off various insects trying to help Ant-Man (“Murderers!”), were especially funny.

It has Paul Rudd in it, which means I would absolutely watch it.
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

The only acceptable and available movie last night at the Cineplex was Ant-Man and the Wasp--the missus was surprisingly willing to join me, so off we went. I’m not much of a Marvel superhero fan, but I like the ones that have enough good dialogue and humor and this one qualifies. It’s better than the first Ant-Man (which I enjoyed), with several LOL moments, some great local shots (it’s set in San Francisco, Muir Woods, and Berkeley), and a strong cast (Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Michael Douglas, Laurence Fishburne, Michelle Pfeiffer, and the always funny Michael Pena, among others). It drags a bit whenever it tries to explain the “science,” although I liked one line mocking how everyone uses the word “quantum” in describing things. The movie is far more entertaining when it leaves the “quantum realm” for the streets of San Francisco. The device of superimposing Pena’s voice over several different characters talking during a recap of prior incidents, and a bit where seagulls near Pier 39 pick off various insects trying to help Ant-Man (“Murderers!”), were especially funny.

Going to go see it tomorrow. I actually liked the first Ant Man. A comic book movie that didn't suck!
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Cinema Paradiso. OK, I am only 30 years late. Sue me.

Now I understand the hype. What a gem. And if there is a cuter kid in a movie, I haven't seen it yet.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Cinema Paradiso. OK, I am only 30 years late. Sue me.

Now I understand the hype. What a gem. And if there is a cuter kid in a movie, I haven't seen it yet.
              Love that movie. Which version did you watch -- director's cut, or theatrical? I was told to stick to theatrical and have never seen the director's cut. Heard it adds info that some people think it's better off without.

Comment

• Saw the new Ant Man movie tonight. I don't care what Walter thinks, I had a good time. And I can almost start to understand funk's Paul Rudd boner.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Armenag View Post
                  Love that movie. Which version did you watch -- director's cut, or theatrical? I was told to stick to theatrical and have never seen the director's cut. Heard it adds info that some people think it's better off without.
                  Not sure. Whatever is on Netflix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Cinema Paradiso. OK, I am only 30 years late. Sue me.

I watched that at “International Cinema” in the SWKT at BYU. Good times!

Comment

You'd have to be pretty heartless not to enjoy Won't You Be My Neighbor?, the story of Fred Rogers. His eponymous show began after my childhood, and my initial reaction when I saw it for the first time with my oldest daughter when she was a toddler was that the show was ridiculously simple, even stupid. But she (and subsequent kids) loved it and the show explains why. Taking all of the standard elements of TV and doing pretty much the opposite, Fred Rogers created a show where his audience learned some very important lessons in a comfortable and loving environment. The guy was pretty amazing, and the private Fred Rogers was pretty much the same as his television persona. One son says something like, "Imagine being raised by a second Christ."

The only ones with anything bad to say about the guy are a couple of Fox News commentators who blame him for kids being so soft today (people shouldn't feel good about themselves until they accomplish something). The Westboro Church also demonstrated at his funeral in 2003 because he was tolerant of gays, apparently.

An enjoyable 90 minutes, with Rotten Tomatoes ratings (critics and audeinces) of 99%.
                      Went and saw this yesterday - great way to spend 90 minutes. I loved the scene where he is testifying before congress in the late '60s to prevent the cutting of the PBS budget.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• AntMan and the Wasp. Movie was fun.

I'll say this again...Michael Pena steals the show. He's awesome in everything he does.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                          AntMan and the Wasp. Movie was fun.

I'll say this again...Michael Pena steals the show. He's awesome in everything he does.
                          I agree, he was hilarious. But I can't say he's awesome in everything he does. He was horrible in Shooter, which, until I saw the two Ant Man movies, was all I knew he from.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by happyone View Post
                            Went and saw this yesterday - great way to spend 90 minutes. I loved the scene where he is testifying before congress in the late '60s to prevent the cutting of the PBS budget.
                            An excellent expose on the man. I had no idea the series lasted until 2001. I remember it in the 1960s and early 70s, with my siblings watching it.
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              I agree, he was hilarious. But I can't say he's awesome in everything he does. He was horrible in Shooter, which, until I saw the two Ant Man movies, was all I knew he from.
                              I thought he was good in Shooter. He also was great in Collateral Beauty. Highly underrated actor.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                                AntMan and the Wasp. Movie was fun.

No one steals a show from Paul Rudd. No one.
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                                X