The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Was struck by how close Childish Gambino's speech and mannerisms and look echoed Billy Dee Williams.
    Maybe Gambino could be in the upcoming Mahogany remake.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• I saw Solo yesterday too.

As a Star Wars nerd, there were backstory elements that seemed to be skipped over. But overall it was a fun movie and the cannon stuff isn't a big deal if you have a fun move. They definitely left it open for more of the same. I don't know how it will do as far as making money - but it is definitely more Rogue One than Last Jedi.

Comment

• I enjoyed Solo greatly.

Donald Glover is so so so good as Lando. The dude playing Han did great as well. I'm going back again this week and taking the wife this time. She loved Rogue One, didn't want to sit through another TLJ, so she sent me on a scouting mission. Lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
          I saw Solo yesterday too.

As a Star Wars nerd, there were backstory elements that seemed to be skipped over. But overall it was a fun movie and the cannon stuff isn't a big deal if you have a fun move. They definitely left it open for more of the same. I don't know how it will do as far as making money - but it is definitely more Rogue One than Last Jedi.
          Which ones?
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
            Which ones?
            So - let me preclude this by saying that when Disney bought the franchise, they said they weren't going to be held to any of the stuff outside of the mainstream movies that Lucas made. So some of this may or may not actually be true at this point.

Solo shows Han eeking out a living under some street lord in Corellia. In the prior books about his past, he actually gets on a freighter as a crew member and isn't necessarily living on the streets. There's a female wookie on the freighter that takes him under her wing, and is who he learns wookie from - I suppose some of that could've still happened without them showing it. They really don't address it.

Also - Han Solo wears Corellian bloodstripes on his pants in the original Star Wars movies. Those are supposed to be something awarded by the Corellian military/security forces for valor. But they have him joining the empire rather than the Corellian military. And I suppose that is something that could still happen - but I doubt it will.

Comment

• Upgrade. Sci-fi action movie. A lot of fun, pure escapism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                So - let me preclude this by saying that when Disney bought the franchise, they said they weren't going to be held to any of the stuff outside of the mainstream movies that Lucas made. So some of this may or may not actually be true at this point.

Solo shows Han eeking out a living under some street lord in Corellia. In the prior books about his past, he actually gets on a freighter as a crew member and isn't necessarily living on the streets. There's a female wookie on the freighter that takes him under her wing, and is who he learns wookie from - I suppose some of that could've still happened without them showing it. They really don't address it.

Also - Han Solo wears Corellian bloodstripes on his pants in the original Star Wars movies. Those are supposed to be something awarded by the Corellian military/security forces for valor. But they have him joining the empire rather than the Corellian military. And I suppose that is something that could still happen - but I doubt it will.
                Ok nice.
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Actually, they could go back and probably include some of those elements, although they are kind of parenthetical at this point so they could easily be included as asides in future movies. I like that they are finally combining the Dave Filoni elements (return of Maul) with the motion pictures, since those have tended to be the stronger, more enriched storylines, having been developed over the course of the entire series of Clone Wars and Rebels. The possibilities are great of seeing somebody like Thrawn or Asajj Ventress in a future stand alone movie.

I get the sense that the Benioff/Weiss trilogy is going to be Old Republic, we know that the Rian Johnson trilogy is going to be a brand new canvas, and we know that the Jon Favreau series is after Return of the Jedi-- that leaves the Boba Fett and Kenobi movies to explore the EU elements if they are going to be included at all. We could very well see Thrawn in Episode IX as well, since they cleverly gave him a mysterious exit in Rebels that would afford a very convenient return to his post-ROTJ timeline from the original EU.

Comment

• This board is the only place where people think Solo is a success. It's dropped 77% compared to last weekend. That's a steeper than usual decline. This movie may not make $200 million in the US and will be lucky to make $400 million worldwide. The rule of thumb is that movies have to make 2.5 times their budget to be profitable. This thing cost $300 million after all the reshoots. That's a loss of over third of a billion dollars.

If you want to know why this movie is failing, imagine if Attack of the Clones came out six months after Phantom Menace. The Last Jedi, like Phantom Menace, was terrible, although for wholly different reasons. Phantom Menace is bad like Mac and Me is bad. The Last Jedi was bad in the same way Mother! was bad.

We had three years to get the bad taste of Phantom Menace out of our mouths and talk ourselves into another Star Wars movie because of the overall strength of the brand.

Solo had no such luxury. Solo going full 2016 Ghostbusters shows that the conspiracy theory that a small subset of fanboys wrecked the audience score on Rottentomatoes is hilariously iditotic. The Last Jedi was a truly shitty movie just like everyone, including those in deep denial, know.
                    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Holly crap, how many new movies are there going to be?
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Still liked Solo.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Holy cow. Solo all the way down to 7.2 on IMDB already. At that trajectory it could end up as the lowest rated Star Ward flick ever. I haven’t seen it yet but it looks like CMBF is right.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            If you want to know why this movie is failing, imagine if Attack of the Clones came out six months after Phantom Menace. The Last Jedi, like Phantom Menace, was terrible, although for wholly different reasons. Phantom Menace is bad like Mac and Me is bad. The Last Jedi was bad in the same way Mother! was bad.
                            Solid Mac and Me reference! My family owned that movie on VHS when I was a kid, and my brother and I used to watch it and do a pretty solid MST3000 routine. To this day, we still try to make each other laugh at inappropriate times by holding our hands up in that awkward v position and puckering our lips like we're whistling.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                              This board is the only place where people think Solo is a success. It's dropped 77% compared to last weekend. That's a steeper than usual decline. This movie may not make $200 million in the US and will be lucky to make $400 million worldwide. The rule of thumb is that movies have to make 2.5 times their budget to be profitable. This thing cost $300 million after all the reshoots. That's a loss of over third of a billion dollars.

We had three years to get the bad taste of Phantom Menace out of our mouths and talk ourselves into another Star Wars movie because of the overall strength of the brand.

Solo had no such luxury. Solo going full 2016 Ghostbusters shows that the conspiracy theory that a small subset of fanboys wrecked the audience score on Rottentomatoes is hilariously iditotic. The Last Jedi was a truly shitty movie just like everyone, including those in deep denial, know.
                              tldr

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Holy cow. Solo all the way down to 7.2 on IMDB already. At that trajectory it could end up as the lowest rated Star Ward flick ever. I haven’t seen it yet but it looks like CMBF is right.
                                Yeah. Looks like over 50% of reviewers gave it a 7 or an 8. Better steer clear of this turd!

Comment

Working...
                                X