Page 188 of 195 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190 ... LastLast
Results 5,611 to 5,640 of 5821

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

Coco. Loved it. How could you not love it?

Rewatched both Godfather I and Godfather II recently. I consider both to be masterpieces. Incredible how well they hold up after so many years. The ending to GFII is so perfect. Michael Corleone sitting and staring at the waters of Lake Tahoe, deep sadness in his face - on top of the world, but lost everything to get there.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    some people here are heartless losers who didnít like it. which reminds me, gotta update my shitlist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Still have not seen it. I will let you know if I belong on the list or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I think I know JL well enough to safely predict that he will not be on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Coco. Loved it. How could you not love it?
    Swish!
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark ďegg on your faceĒ! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    A Quiet Place. Went in only knowing it had a 96% RT score. Loved it. Maybe the best movie Iíve seen in the last 5 years (or longer).
    Best I've seen in the last five days for sure. Maybe five weeks. A solid IMDB 7.2 type film.

Ready Player One. I took my 13-year-old son. We both enjoyed it. Neither of us has read the book. Now I have to go back in the thread and see what readers of the book were griping about.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Best I've seen in the last five days for sure. Maybe five weeks. A solid IMDB 7.2 type film.
    Just saw it last night. I agree, it’s a solid film. Krasinski did really well with that concept.

Pre-Historic Man

Swish!
    I watched on my flight and was surprised at its quality. It also provided a feeling for the cultural meaning of the day of the dead in Latin cultures.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Swish!
    We bought Coco when it released and watched it as a family the other weekend. I was blown away. Easily became my favorite Pixar movie. The music, the story, loved it. I even shed a tear. It really resonated with me and stirred memories of my mission. My 6 year old literally bawled at parts of it. It led to a nice discussion about the plan of salvation and eternal families afterward.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Lady Bird. Meh. Not bad, but not great.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    We bought Coco when it released and watched it as a family the other weekend. I was blown away. Easily became my favorite Pixar movie. The music, the story, loved it. I even shed a tear. It really resonated with me and stirred memories of my mission. My 6 year old literally bawled at parts of it. It led to a nice discussion about the plan of salvation and eternal families afterward.
    Just one tear, huh? You are more stoic than I.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Just one tear, huh? You are more stoic than I.
    lol I was gonna say- single tear rolling down your cheek? You POS!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    lol I was gonna say- single tear rolling down your cheek? You POS!
    How many are required to avoid OG's SL?
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

A Quiet Place. Went in only knowing it had a 96% RT score. Loved it. Maybe the best movie Iíve seen in the last 5 years (or longer).
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Yeah, we saw it last night as well. I thought it was great. The build up was slow the first half hour or so, but after that it was very intense.

I thought the ending was perfect, although some disagree
    Nice little flick. Made a dad/daughter date out of it (her idea). When he dropped that axe... man, what a moment.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Nice little flick. Made a dad/daughter date out of it (her idea). When he dropped that axe... man, what a moment.
    Looks really good.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    The Greatest Showman is entertaining as hell. I don’t care what the critics say!

Interesting that the reaction to the movie (audiences love it, critics hate it) recapitulates the story in the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I haven't seen it, but my sister-in-law has my children hooked on the soundtrack.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    I've seen in 3 times, and am hooked on the soundtrack as well. It really is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
    Yeah, it's a musical. I would say its heritage is singin' in the rain (no, it's not as good). It's telling a period story but for the most part doesn't try to worry about historical accuracy or the historical point of view. The characters reflect 21st century sensibilities (for the most part) in the same way the characters of singin in the rain reflect the sensibilities of the 1950s rather than the 20s.

What I liked.

Lack of ironic detachment. It's a post modern form in many ways but avoids the ironic detachment of most post modernism (I think Hamilton also does this). I think the movie is better for it. It allows the movie to be quite sentimental. I think for the most part the sentimentalism works pretty well.

What I didn't?

It's quite didactic (actually it's probably better to say moralistic). Which I didn't mind but the the didactic points are pretty cliched and in so many 21st century movies.

It gets caught between the two periods in ways that bothered me. Some/Much of the dramatic tension revolves around period attitudes but almost all of the the main characters are clearly reflecting 21st century attitudes. It was too much dissonance for me.

What's in between?

The lyrics/score. I don't think it rises to the level of a really good broadway score/lyrics, but it's okay/enjoyable. I thought the high school musical boy's vocal performances were surprisingly good. I actually liked them.
    For many different reasons, everyone in our family saw this film in the theaters but not together (that is, except for myself and the wife). We same-day Prime'd the movie on disc (released yesterday) and watched it tonight all together as a family. Fantastic feel-good light-hearted movie with a simple message about love, togetherness, and family. The soundtrack is peppy, happy, up-tempo, and catchy. Don't overthink this one like pelagius did (even though he admitted he enjoyed it). I should have seen it as many times or more in the theaters like Tick did, just to vote with my dollars and get more movies like this one made in the future (and less superhero movies).

Do not watch this movie at home UNLESS YOU HAVE A DECENT SOUND SYSTEM hooked up to your 70-something-inch UHD 4k TV. Seriously. You will ruin your first-time experience with this movie by listening to it on a bullshit soundbar and you may never forgive yourself once you hear it on a system that can rumble your sofa. Go to a friend's house that appreciates good audio and watch it there... even if you have to watch it on a 10yo 60-inch plasma.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

For many different reasons, everyone in our family saw this film in the theaters but not together (that is, except for myself and the wife). We same-day Prime'd the movie on disc (released yesterday) and watched it tonight all together as a family. Fantastic feel-good light-hearted movie with a simple message about love, togetherness, and family. The soundtrack is peppy, happy, up-tempo, and catchy. Don't overthink this one like pelagius did (even though he admitted he enjoyed it). I should have seen it as many times or more in the theaters like Tick did, just to vote with my dollars and get more movies like this one made in the future (and less superhero movies).

Do not watch this movie at home UNLESS YOU HAVE A DECENT SOUND SYSTEM hooked up to your 70-something-inch UHD 4k TV. Seriously. You will ruin your first-time experience with this movie by listening to it on a bullshit soundbar and you may never forgive yourself once you hear it on a system that can rumble your sofa. Go to a friend's house that appreciates good audio and watch it there... even if you have to watch it on a 10yo 60-inch plasma.
    My 5.1 system works pretty well, but the display is just a 50" plasma that's 5 or 6 years old. Should I skip this movie?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    My 5.1 system works pretty well, but the display is just a 50" plasma that's 5 or 6 years old. Should I skip this movie?
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! You're golden. Turn up the volume until it hurts your daughter's ears, dial it back a titch, and then enjoy the show!

Don't overthink this one like pelagius did (even though he admitted he enjoyed it).
    I'm not sure I admitted that generally (just score and lyrics (and might have conceded too much there) and Zac Ephron, I think).

I grant I tend to highlight things that most people classify as overthinking, but even if I don't focus on the apparently "esoteric" the movie's got many non overthought problems. For example, virtually every second of the movie that involves the Jenny Lind character is a complete mess (horrible character development and plotting). I can understand why people are charmed by the movie given the backdrop of the near endless claptrap that are comic book movies and Star Wars, but that's about it for me. Personally, the opportunities I have to see pretty good quality musical theater for reasonable prices are plentiful enough (that soul damaging recent Alan Menken concert excepted) that I just can't ignore the awfulness and embrace the charm that the Greatest Showman legitimately does have.

I do like the social cohesion effects of something like Greatest Showman. It's in the sweet spot of old middle brow culture that's becoming increasing rare as a shared cultural experience. As a culture, I think we need more of these experiences; we can't rely on just Harry Potter forever.
    Last edited by pelagius; 04-11-2018 at 11:59 PM.

Yeah, pretty mixed view. Overall, I enjoyed it. Go if your wife likes musicals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak
    Don't overthink this one like pelagius did (even though he admitted he enjoyed it).
    I'm not sure I admitted that generally (just score and lyrics (and might have conceded too much there) and Zac Ephron, I think).

I grant I tend to highlight things that most people classify as overthinking, but even if I don't focus on the apparently "esoteric" the movie's got many non overthought problems. For example, virtually every second of the movie that involves the Jenny Lind character is a complete mess (horrible character development and plotting). I can understand why people are charmed by the movie given the backdrop of the near endless claptrap that are comic book movies and Star Wars, but that's about it for me. Personally, the opportunities I have to see pretty good quality musical theater for reasonable prices are plentiful enough (that soul damaging recent Alan Menken concert excepted) that I just can't ignore the awfulness and embrace the charm that the Greatest Showman legitimately does have.

I do like the social cohesion effects of something like Greatest Showman. It's in the sweet spot of old middle brow culture that's becoming increasing rare as a shared cultural experience. As a culture, I think we need more of these experiences; we can't rely on just Harry Potter forever.
    Pelagius' humor is underrated.
    Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 04-12-2018 at 07:31 AM.

Pelagius' humor is underrated.
    Wow, can't imagine what lead to such a rosy initial assessment on my part.

Pre-Historic Man

That had me laughing. You made it sound like the next Hamilton.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Perhaps you recalled that we don't attend musical theater for the "character development and plotting"?

I was with Walt in the La La Land train, but I can’t get behind the Greatest Showman. It was the worst movie I’ve seen in years.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Perhaps you recalled that we don't attend musical theater for the "character development and plotting"?
    Oh brother, that's nonsense ... musicals are even supposed to have song plots.

I was with Walt in the La La Land train, but I canít get behind the Greatest Showman. It was the worst movie Iíve seen in years.
    Pelag is at the head of the La La Land train. I'm just a happy passenger. Woo woooo!

Oh brother, that's nonsense ... musicals are even supposed to have song plots.
    :rollseyes: Yet we still love Wicked et al.

Yeah, your example reinforces my point, so thanks (unless your hiding a lot in the et al). It's certainly true that Wicked is not as well structured (the the length of the source material makes that difficult) as the classics of the golden age (e.g., Guys and Dolls' structure is intricate in the way it weaves it's two plots together ... wonderful stuff), but Wicked does share something with all the best musicals (and surpasses many really good musicals over this dimension): a really great, powerful, and widely shared "I want" (the I want song in Wicked is "The Wizard and I"). That "I want" sustains the character development and plotting through its weaker and messier moments. The songs and book build on and explore the "I want" pretty effectively. I also think the Wicked I Want works really well within female/female buddy meta plot of Wicked*. It's certainly fair to say that Wicked needs really great vocal performances from its leads to work, but blowout vocal performances are almost never enough and fortunately Wicked has more.

Additionally, I would add that Wicked's other songs generally also serve the plot pretty well (ok, I do think the prologue is a mess). It does this in part by following convention where it can. For example, it includes a conditional love song: What is this Feeling?. Think Carousel's "If I love you" for the cleanest example of what is meant by a conditional love song. Wicked simply adapts the conditional love song for the female/female buddy meta plot. It even has conventional placement right after the "I want" song.

*Showman's B or C plot is a similar "I Want" as Wicked but it's such a ham fisted version of that "I want" it loses it power. Plus it's the B or C I want. Hugh Jackman's "I want" is prety lame. It's a two part structure "I want" (pretty classic structure ... hill beyond the hill stuff). His immediate "I want" is to be rich or successful or something. He hikes that hill and eventually realizes there is a bigger much more important hill. His actual "I want" is something like: "I want to be the perfect 21st century dad that achieves a good work/life balance so my wife doesn't run away to Daddy" (symbolized in the movie by the ballet and the elephants).
    Last edited by pelagius; 04-13-2018 at 01:45 AM.

Pelag is at the head of the La La Land train. I'm just a happy passenger. Woo woooo!

Yeah, your example reinforces my point, so thanks (unless your hiding a lot in the et al). It's certainly true that Wicked is not as well structured (the the length of the source material makes that difficult) as the classics of the golden age (e.g., Guys and Dolls' structure is intricate in the way it weaves it's two plots together ... wonderful stuff), but Wicked does share something with all the best musicals (and surpasses many really good musicals over this dimension): a really great, powerful, and widely shared "I want" (the I want song in Wicked is "The Wizard and I"). That "I want" sustains the character development and plotting through its weaker and messier moments. The songs and book build on and explore the "I want" pretty effectively. I also think the Wicked I Want works really well within female/female buddy meta plot of Wicked*. It's certainly fair to say that Wicked needs really great vocal performances from its leads to work, but blowout vocal performances are almost never enough and fortunately Wicked has more.

Additionally, I would add that Wicked's other songs generally also serve the plot pretty well (ok, I do think the prologue is a mess). It does this in part by following convention where it can. For example, it includes a conditional love song: What is this Feeling?. Think Carousel's "If I love you" for the cleanest example of what is meant by a conditional love song. Wicked simply adapts the conditional love song for the female/female buddy meta plot. It even has conventional placement right after the "I want" song.

*Showman's B or C plot is a similar "I Want" as Wicked but it's such a ham fisted version of that "I want" it loses it power. Plus it's the B or C I want. Hugh Jackman's "I want" is prety lame. It's a two part structure "I want" (pretty classic structure ... hill beyond the hill stuff). His immediate "I want" is to be rich or successful or something. He hikes that hill and eventually realizes there is a bigger much more important hill. His actual "I want" is something like: "I want to be the perfect 21st century dad that achieves a good work/life balance so my wife doesn't run away to Daddy" (symbolized in the movie by the ballet and the elephants).

Good hell... What is it with you two arguing about musicals in the early morning hours? Musicals are fun and entertaining but not worth this much energy, guys. Go listen to your Wicked and Showman soundtracks and chill.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Good hell... What is it with you two arguing about musicals in the early morning hours? Musicals are fun and entertaining but not worth this much energy, guys. Go listen to your Wicked and Showman soundtracks and chill.
    Broadway plays don't have soundtracks. They have cast recordings; so there is an error in your code somewhere, but at least you did sound mostly like a human.

Broadway plays don't have soundtracks. They have cast recordings; so there is an error in your code somewhere, but at least you did sound mostly like a human.
    Yeah, If I could just prefect my neuronet learning algorithms I would be filthy rich... you should see what Apple, Google, etc. are paying the AI kids these days!
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Rampage. It was as terrible as you might imagine.