The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    No one steals a show from Paul Rudd. No one.
    have to agree. I had low expectations for this movie but I went because of Paul Rudd. It was pretty dang good. I love how Marvel has decided to make comic book movies that don't take themselves too seriously because it is a comic book movie. It makes it so much more enjoyable.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Got around to watching "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them"... absolutely loved it.

Looking forward to the new one coming out this November.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
        have to agree. I had low expectations for this movie but I went because of Paul Rudd. It was pretty dang good. I love how Marvel has decided to make comic book movies that don't take themselves too seriously because it is a comic book movie. It makes it so much more enjoyable.
        D.C. has sucked b/c it can't decide whether it wants to rip off Marvel or Christopher Nolan.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Greater love hath no husband than this, that he taketh his wife to Mamma Mia 2. It was well-produced, achieving superbly what I'd guess were its prime objectives, and most of the audience burst into enthusiastic applause at the end.

But man, I dislike ABBA, and have since they debuted while I was still a student. Combining the worst of Disco, Bubble Gum Rock, and Euro Pop, they were unappealing then, as they remain for me. But my wife and friends were happy, and everyone in the movie seemed to be having a fun time, so my role as elitist curmudgeon continues. This is one movie where everyone's expectations will be met. Ours certainly were. And my wife is appreciative, so winners all around.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            Greater love hath no husband than this, that he taketh his wife to Mamma Mia 2. It was well-produced, achieving superbly what I'd guess were its prime objectives, and most of the audience burst into enthusiastic applause at the end.

But man, I dislike ABBA, and have since they debuted while I was still a student. Combining the worst of Disco, Bubble Gum Rock, and Euro Pop, they were unappealing then, as they remain for me. But my wife and friends were happy, and everyone in the movie seemed to be having a fun time, so my role as elitist curmudgeon continues. This is one movie where everyone's expectations will be met. Ours certainly were. And my wife is appreciative, so winners all around.
            ABBA's music represented a sort of therapy for my Mom during a few years of pretty depressing family life. So I'm very familiar with their entire discography. I actually appreciate a lot of their music. Intellectual it ain't, but they knew how to put together some catchy tunes. And I had a thing for Agnetha...

Alas, their music didn't survive my transition from CD to digital. I have a few stalwarts on a playlist somewhere, but it doesn't play daily like it used to when I was a kid. And no, I didn't see Mamma Mia and I most certainly won't see the second!
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              ABBA's music represented a sort of therapy for my Mom during a few years of pretty depressing family life. So I'm very familiar with their entire discography. I actually appreciate a lot of their music. Intellectual it ain't, but they knew how to put together some catchy tunes. And I had a thing for Agnetha...

Alas, their music didn't survive my transition from CD to digital. I have a few stalwarts on a playlist somewhere, but it doesn't play daily like it used to when I was a kid. And no, I didn't see Mamma Mia and I most certainly won't see the second!
              I get the nostalgic appeal, certainly. I've accepted the theory that a person's musical biases are formed within a one-year radius of the person's 15th birthday. By the time ABBA came along I was committed to the Beatles, Stones, Hendrix and Motown. When ABBA appeared ten years later they didn't have a chance, despite their begging me for one.

Comment

I get the nostalgic appeal, certainly. I've accepted the theory that a person's musical biases are formed within a one-year radius of the person's 15th birthday. By the time ABBA came along I was committed to the Beatles, Stones, Hendrix and Motown. When ABBA appeared ten years later they didn't have a chance, despite their begging me for one.
                I believe your theory. The music surrounding that time period in my life survived my play lists much better than ABBA, which I was listening to from ~8-12 years old. Depeche Mode, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, sprinkled with a little glam metal were my jam.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

This is the first time that I've ever heard of this...but it is solid, and I agree with it.

Comment

Greater love hath no husband than this, that he taketh his wife to Mamma Mia 2. It was well-produced, achieving superbly what I'd guess were its prime objectives, and most of the audience burst into enthusiastic applause at the end.

I'm too young to recall ABBA in their heyday, but did the dudes in the band at least play some musical instruments, because other than some occassional backup vocals (which are solid in Super Trouper and Take a Chance, I might add), I'm not sure what their purpose is/was.
                    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                      I'm too young to recall ABBA in their heyday, but did the dudes in the band at least play some musical instruments, because other than some occassional backup vocals (which are solid in Super Trouper and Take a Chance, I might add), I'm not sure what their purpose is/was.
                      I think the guys wrote most of the songs.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                        They wrote all the music and one guy played all the piano and keys and the other guy played guitar. They also came up with some of the production techniques that gave the distinctive ABBA sound (I learned about this at the ABBA museum in Stockholm last year). In truth, they were the heart of what was ABBA, literally (Bjorn and Benny) as well as figuratively.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          They wrote all the music and one guy played all the piano and keys and the other guy played guitar. They also came up with some of the production techniques that gave the distinctive ABBA sound (I learned about this at the ABBA museum in Stockholm last year). In truth, they were the heart of what was ABBA, literally (Bjorn and Benny) as well as figuratively.
                          Bjorn! Benny! Speak to me!

"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Rather than fight the crowd on MI:6’s opening weekend, we opted instead for Eighth Grade, the most authentic, and at times painfully awkward, movie about adolescence I think I’ve ever seen. Elsie Fisher, playing an eighth grader during the last week of junior high, hands in a truly remarkable performance, as does Josh Hamilton as her caring but often helpless father. Their final scene together is a conversation so simple, and yet so true and powerful, that any father in the audience who has had to deal with an awkward, gawky teen can’t help but be deeply moved. This will have limited appeal, but it may be one of the best movies of the year.

Comment

• We also did not want to fight the crowds and saw Teen Titans Go! Probably the funniest cartoon I've seen of recent memory, beating out Lego Batman. If you've never seen the cartoon show, it's pretty hilarious with mainly absurdist humor with pop references. Sort of a good parody of the super hero genre.

Comment

Rather than fight the crowd on MI:6’s opening weekend, we opted instead for Eighth Grade, the most authentic, and at times painfully awkward, movie about adolescence I think I’ve ever seen. Elsie Fisher, playing an eighth grader during the last week of junior high, hands in a truly remarkable performance, as does Josh Hamilton as her caring but often helpless father. Their final scene together is a conversation so simple, and yet so true and powerful, that any father in the audience who has had to deal with an awkward, gawky teen can’t help but be deeply moved. This will have limited appeal, but it may be one of the best movies of the year.

Very interested in this movie. How appropriate would it be for an awkward middle schooler to see on a daddy daughter date?
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X