No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobbs and Shaw - Enjoyed it. Loved the Samoa parts. The Hobbs/Shaw competition/badgering schtick grew old after about the first five minutes but I love the Rock and Handsome Rob so I can put up with it. I like that Handsome Rob never takes off his shirt, which is probably about where I'd be if I was starring next to the Rock. Only problem with this one is that the chase scenes were lacking for a movie series that is based on the cars/chase scenes. I guess I expected more, not sure why.

The Lion King - This was a piece of crap. The animation was outstanding but none of the rest of it worked. The characters/voices were barely half decent and the writing was about as flat as a female distance runner. I wonder if the lifelike animation screwed it all up since it's weird to see a fairly real looking lion speaking. Even the comic relief was not only poorly written but also mistimed. Pumba and Timon are introduced way too late and the hyenas trying to do comedy was cringing. Disney totally misfired on this one...but then again, my kids loved it so what do I know?

Saving Private Ryan - MJ was out of town and my son had only seen the opening scene so we watched it all the way through. Still a top five movie of all time for me, although I didn't cry at the end when Private Ryan asks his wife if he's been a good man. Few movies stand up to the test of time and this is definitely one of them.

Top Gun - With the sequel coming out next year I thought I had better prepare myself. Yeah, it's been a while and I had forgotten how bad some movies from the 80s can be. This movie is the quintessential epitome of coolness from the 80s, which made my kids laugh at just about everything about it. But I loved it, every minute of it. The whole thing is a bit campy but I had forgotten how many original lines were from this one movie. I loved hearing the whole "If I told you I'd have to kill you" line. Can't wait for Maverick to come out next year!

Raiders of the Lost Ark - This one didn't hold up for me. It wasn't the acting, writing or story. The editing is downright awful. Scenes just don't flow together at all. As the movie moves from one camera to another the whole timing is screwed up and oftentimes parts of the scene are different. It was incredibly distracting to the point that I found myself just watching for the editing issues. I had also forgotten how lame the ending is in this one. The Last Crusade is still my favorite Indy movie.

Murder Mystery - Watched this one of a recent youth trip. I'm not a big Jennifer Anniston/Adam Sandler fan but I like this one. It was a bit predictable and campy but it all worked together really well. Worth the time to watch it, which I had to do on my own since MJ had already watched it with our kids.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      Saving Private Ryan - MJ was out of town and my son had only seen the opening scene so we watched it all the way through. Still a top five movie of all time for me, although I didn't cry at the end when Private Ryan asks his wife if he's been a good man. Few movies stand up to the test of time and this is definitely one of them.
      You heartless bastard.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        You heartless bastard.
        At least he stayed awake!
        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

You heartless bastard.
          I know I've seen that movie a dozen time and this is the first time I didn't cry.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

You heartless bastard.
            Next up, Moliere remains stonefaced when Ray Kinsella asks his dad if he'd like to have a catch.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              Next up, Moliere remains stonefaced when Ray Kinsella asks his dad if he'd like to have a catch.

Honestly - I was right there on the edge, holding it in...

And then he says "Want to have a catch?"

Seriously? Have a catch? What does that even MEAN?!? I played catch with my dad growing up - and it was always playing catch. Have a catch? That line pulled me out of the moment because I was wondering why he said "have a catch". I've honestly never heard playing catch described that way. It was weird.

Comment

• baseball is boring, he would totally be asleep by that point in the movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

For reasons I won’t go into, that movie and line never struck a chord with me. Maybe someday it will.

Comment

• He doesn’t like Raiders of the Lost Ark AND he doesn’t get emotional at Field of Dreams?!?

I don’t know why anyone would take Moliere’s reviews seriously.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                      He doesn’t like Raiders of the Lost Ark AND he doesn’t get emotional at Field of Dreams?!?

I was thinking he was a serial killer since he is dead inside..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        He doesn’t like Raiders of the Lost Ark AND he doesn’t get emotional at Field of Dreams?!?

We recently rewatched all four Indiana Jones movies. So much fun.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

We recently rewatched all four Indiana Jones movies. So much fun.
                          All FOUR are fun? I saw the fourth one in the theater, I can't recall the exact moment I checked out but it couldn't have been after the scene where Shia LeBouef is swinging on the vines with the monkeys, that was horrible.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            All FOUR are fun? I saw the fourth one in the theater, I can't recall the exact moment I checked out but it couldn't have been after the scene where Shia LeBouef is swinging on the vines with the monkeys, that was horrible.
                            Not as good as the others, but I thought it was fine.

Comment

Not as good as the others, but I thought it was fine.
                              It was way worse than the Hurt Locker.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                                It was way worse than the Hurt Locker.

It didn't pretend to be a serious movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X