Page 118 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118
Results 3,511 to 3,539 of 3539

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

Okay, my attempt to use the spoiler thing failed. I thought that the silliest part of Chef, which I enjoyed, was the very end, which seemed tacked on for no particular reason.
    Last edited by Armenag; 10-06-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Saw Open Range the other day. Pretty good flick. It was a bit long, but it had beautiful scenery and the big shoot out was better done than most. I've always been a big fan of Robert Duvall and he was great in this, as always.

Saw Gone Girl tonight ... great movie. It's impossible to say much about the movie without spoiling things, so I will just give it a big thumbs up. I'm not a Fincher fanboy (Fight Club was dumb, Social Network was overrated, Benjamin Button was awful). While Gone Girl isn't the masterpiece that some Fincher aficionados will claim it is, it is a very interesting and though provoking piece of genre filmmaking that is very well crafted. Affleck, however, has the same limited range that he has in every performance. For the most part it works, since he is supposed to be an every man type of character, but at times I wished they had cast someone who could be a little more dynamic.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Really liked Gine Girl, ldc was disappointed with the brief (she said non-existent, I saw it though) glimpse of Big Ben.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Really liked Gine Girl, ldc was disappointed with the brief (she said non-existent, I saw it though) glimpse of Big Ben.
    I, knowing to look for it, caught a glimpse too. It was impressive.

I saw Gone Girl. I didn't see Irish Curse and didn't know we were on Dong Alert anyway. As for the movie, there were some good suspenseful parts, but I mostly felt like I was watching a Lifetime movie.
    Idon'tneedyourlovetodisconnecttorunaroundkidsinget-gocarswithvaselineafterbirthsandneoncoughsgalaxies fullofnobodiesgivingusthefarewellrunaroundItooka virginmaryaxetohissweetbabyjane,lostmyinnocenceto anogoodgirl,scratchmyfacewithanvilhands,andcoilmyt onguearoundabumblebeemouthandigiveitallbacktoyou

Quote Originally Posted by UVACoug View Post
    I, knowing to look for it, caught a glimpse too. It was impressive.
    lol. UVA showing some personality finally.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Fury. War movies arenít what they used to be. As a kid, I loved movies like The Guns of Navarone, The Longest Day, Patton, The Dirty Dozen, and the older but entertaining John Wayne-type war films (Flying Leathernecks, Sands of Iwo Jima, etc). But those movies were very sanitized, blood was rare, and deaths tended to be clean and noble. There was a reason my dad and his fellow veterans never talked about the War, and why they rolled their eyes at most war movies.

Although there were a few ďwar is hellĒ films even back in the day, things really changed with Saving Private Ryan, whose Omaha Beach scene was groundbreaking and very real. Fury takes this to an even grittier level, where every battle scene is covered in muck and blood, and no death is ennobling. Heads and limbs being blown off, soldiers putting guns to their heads to end their misery, finding pieces of dead comrades--we've seen it before but perhaps not as much or as relentlessly as here. The movie follows the crew of a tank thatís been through Africa, France and Belgium, and is now in Germany, a few weeks before the end of the war. Thereís a lot to talk about here, including a very discomfiting scene involving Brad Pitt and the newest member of his team (a more likeable version of Ryanís Upham, whose conscience makes the rest of the team angry and very threatening) with two women in a captured German town. Thereís also a small but interesting theme involving horses at the beginning, the middle and end of the film. Directed by David Ayer (Training Day), like his previous movies this one doesnít sugar coat anything. Itís a very good film, but itís not especially entertaining. In fact, itís nasty, brutish and long. Definite thumbs up, but you may want to leave the wife at home.

I saw Fury as well. I thought it was very entertaining. If there's one thing Brad Pitt does well in WWII movies, it's killin' Nazis. While I'm sure it got all the technical aspects meticulously correct, it's probably about as historically accurate as Inglorious Basterds. Kind of cheap the way it gets you into it viscerally by killing the shit out of Nazis for 2 hours, but that is somewhat balanced out by some humanitarian messages interspersed throughout.
    Idon'tneedyourlovetodisconnecttorunaroundkidsinget-gocarswithvaselineafterbirthsandneoncoughsgalaxies fullofnobodiesgivingusthefarewellrunaroundItooka virginmaryaxetohissweetbabyjane,lostmyinnocenceto anogoodgirl,scratchmyfacewithanvilhands,andcoilmyt onguearoundabumblebeemouthandigiveitallbacktoyou

Pre-Historic Man

Equalizer. I enjoyed Denzell's portrayal. Very entertaining yet restrained. Violence held to a minimum.
    黑猫, 白猫, 只要会抓老鼠的就是哦好猫

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Equalizer. I enjoyed Denzell's portrayal. Very entertaining yet restrained. Violence held to a minimum.
    I enjoyed it as well.
    Spoiler for My favorite scene:
    With plenty of violence, the coolest revenge scene was in the store, starting when the druggie robbed the female sales clerk of her ring. She was very reluctant to give it up but Denzel calmly told her to do it and that it wasn't worth losing her life. As the criminal exited the building, Denzel walked matter-of-factly out of the store, caught the guy's license plate, then walked to the tools section and selected a large sledgehammer. In the next scene, the clerk delightedly discovers her ring lying in her cash drawer, and Denzel is seen wiping down the head of the sledgehammer and placing it back on the rack. A scene both funny and satisfying. Also makes me wonder if my hammers have seen any pre-purchase action.

Pre-Historic Man

The Snowpiercer. A dystopia society lives inside a train. A fantastic look into man's psyche.
    黑猫, 白猫, 只要会抓老鼠的就是哦好猫

In a World . . . . About a vocal coach who falls into the world of voiceovers. She winds up competing against her father (the post-Don LaFontaine voiceover king) and his protege for the big gig. On the whole it's pretty good. Has a subplot it could have done without, but it's a great cast working with decent material. I would recommend it. Lake Bell's impressions are amazing and should have been worked in more.

Gone Girl.

It was nuts.
    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Alexander and the no good....blah, blah, blah.

I took my kids to see it. They liked it, but I thought it was alright. There were a few parts I was not happy my 6-year old saw/heard:

Spoiler for Parts:
    1. Jennifer Garner walked in on her son naked, and she took a pretty obvious glance at his crotch. This comes up later when she declared that "she's seen every penis in this minivan," and that her son should not be weird about their encounter.
    2. The main child character is the target of cyberbullying, which includes his face on the bodies of several bikini models.
    "Consider recording the testimony of Joseph Smith in your own voice, listening to it regularly, and sharing it with friends. Listening to the Prophetís testimony in your own voice will help bring the witness you seek." -Neil Andersen

The way way back: I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. The growth of a teenager in times of difficulty and the relationship he builds with Sam Rockwell was great. Good movie..

Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    The way way back: I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. The growth of a teenager in times of difficulty and the relationship he builds with Sam Rockwell was great. Good movie..
    Did you rent it or is this streaming somewhere?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Rent. Not streaming as of yet. Kept looking but nothing.. So paid for it one evening.

It's on HBOGo right now I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    It's on HBOGo right now I think.
    I know you don't pay for that!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

I know you don't pay for that!
    Sort of- it comes with my internet package.

Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    I really liked this movie. Rockwell was great. I heard that the movie was somewhat autobiographical and was written by the guy who played the rental shack employee.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    I really liked this movie. Rockwell was great. I heard that the movie was somewhat autobiographical and was written by the guy who played the rental shack employee.
    The Dean from Community? That guy's pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Yes, and the line ("you're a 3 on a scale of 10") came from the author's step-dad in real life. A really good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    The Dean from Community? That guy's pretty funny.
    That's the guy.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Armenag View Post
    In a World . . . . About a vocal coach who falls into the world of voiceovers. She winds up competing against her father (the post-Don LaFontaine voiceover king) and his protege for the big gig. On the whole it's pretty good. Has a subplot it could have done without, but it's a great cast working with decent material. I would recommend it. Lake Bell's impressions are amazing and should have been worked in more.
    Been wanting to see this. It's on Netflix Instant so I'll fire it up soon.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    Been wanting to see this. It's on Netflix Instant so I'll fire it up soon.
    I watched it recently. It was pretty decent, but not as good as I would have hoped.

I watched it recently. It was pretty decent, but not as good as I would have hoped.
    I saw this at Sundance a few years ago not knowing a thing about it. Although it was about the perfect movie for that venue, it holds up okay at home.

All of these stream on Amazon Prime:

The [Aryan] Couple - a German couple act as servants to a wealthy Jewish family that is buying their way out of Germany. I thought it was OK.

The Duchess - set in the 18th century, a girl (Keira Knightley) marries the much older Duke of Devonshire (Ralph Fiennes), who asks only that she produce an heir. I enjoyed this one.

An Unfinished Life - A woman (Jennifer Lopez) flees her abusive boyfriend with her 10-year-old daughter and goes to the ranch of her father-in-law (Robert Redford), who still blames her for the death of his son. Also starring Morgan Freeman. I enjoyed this one too, but it was a bit slow in places.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96