The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
    My wife has now seen the greatest showman 3 times.

I still have zero desire to see a singing movie.
    A movie that sings? That's incredible!
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
      Possibly.

Did you enjoy Les Mis?

I enjoyed it immensely.
      Haven't see Les Mis in any singing format. There was a non-singing format a while back. I saw that one.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
        My wife has now seen the greatest showman 3 times.

I still have zero desire to see a singing movie.
        Is it a musical? A PT Barnum musical, a la Oklahoma?
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
          Is it a musical? A PT Barnum musical, a la Oklahoma?
          Yeah, it's a musical. I would say its heritage is singin' in the rain (no, it's not as good). It's telling a period story but for the most part doesn't try to worry about historical accuracy or the historical point of view. The characters reflect 21st century sensibilities (for the most part) in the same way the characters of singin in the rain reflect the sensibilities of the 1950s rather than the 20s.

What I liked.

Lack of ironic detachment. It's a post modern form in many ways but avoids the ironic detachment of most post modernism (I think Hamilton also does this). I think the movie is better for it. It allows the movie to be quite sentimental. I think for the most part the sentimentalism works pretty well.

What I didn't?

It's quite didactic (actually it's probably better to say moralistic). Which I didn't mind but the the didactic points are pretty cliched and in so many 21st century movies.

It gets caught between the two periods in ways that bothered me. Some/Much of the dramatic tension revolves around period attitudes but almost all of the the main characters are clearly reflecting 21st century attitudes. It was too much dissonance for me.

What's in between?

The lyrics/score. I don't think it rises to the level of a really good broadway score/lyrics, but it's okay/enjoyable. I thought the high school musical boy's vocal performances were surprisingly good. I actually liked them.
          Last edited by pelagius; 01-05-2018, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
            Yeah, it's a musical. I would say it's heritage is singin' in the rain (no, it's not as good). It's telling a period story but for the most part doesn't try to worry about historical accuracy or the historical point of view. The characters reflect 21st century sensibilities (for the most part) in the same way the characters of singin in the rain reflect the sensibilities of the 1950s rather than the 20s.

What I liked.

Lack of ironic detachment. It's a post modern form in many ways but avoids the ironic detachment of most post modernism (I think Hamilton also does this). I think the movie is better for it. It allows the movie to be quite sentimental. I think for the most part the sentimentalism works pretty well.

What I didn't?

It's quite didactic. Which I didn't mind but the the didactic points are pretty cliched and in so many 21st century movies.

It gets caught between the two periods in ways that bothered me. Some/Much of the dramatic tension revolves around period attitudes but almost of the the main characters are clearly reflecting 21st century attitudes. It was too much dissonance for me.

What's in between?

The lyrics/score. I don't think it rises to the level of a really good broadway score/lyrics, but it's okay. I thought the high school's musical boy's vocal performance were surprisingly good. I actually liked them.
            Excellent review. It looks like a Netflix film for me, unless you give a two thumbs up, but your review makes it sound "meh".
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
              Excellent review. It looks like a Netflix film for me, unless you give a two thumbs up, but your review makes it sound "meh".
              Yeah, pretty mixed view. Overall, I enjoyed it. Go if your wife likes musicals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                I saw The Shape of Water yesterday. I like it, but I'm not sure I love it. It's a period piece and an obvious homage to monster-horror films from generations ago. It's visually stunning, just as you would expect from Guillermo Del Toro, and the sets are fantastically detailed and colored. It's a fun story with likeable characters, but for me the story arc just fell a little flat. For one, it's a little too black and white about who is good and who is bad--perhaps that part of the homage to films of old. But more nuance with the characters, or perhaps some back story about why the foil was so unreasonable, might have made for a more interesting climax. The show was plenty long, but the relationship between the protagonist and her lover felt rushed and superficial. The antagonist, Michael Shannon, is great, but it feels like he plays the exact same character in everything; he essentially reprised his exact character from Boardwalk Empire for this role. Richard Jenkins is also great, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a best supporting actor nominee for him. In fact, this thing is going to get tons of Oscar buzz, and will likely be nominated in all of the major categories. It's definitely worth seeing, but I don't think it's nearly as profound as it wants to be.
                I had the exact same feeling. I wanted to like it more than I did. I appreciated that each main character was either lonely or
                marginalized by society. And some of the scenes were visually stunning. But a little too heavy-handed for me to consider it profound.

Mrs. NWC and my son lol’d all the way home from the theater. They couldn’t get enough of calling it a dumb fishman movie.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• Mrs Happy and I went to the local discount theater (Kaysville) this past weekend and saw two period pieces

The Man Who Invented Christmas - about Charles Dickens and the writing of "A Christmas Carol" Christopher Plummer plays the character Scrooge as Dickens is writing the novel. I thought it was an interest look at the process of writing a novel

Goodbye Christopher Robin - the story of A.A. Milne and the writing of the Winnie-the-Pooh stories. Milnes PTSD is really played up. He was in the Battle of the Somme. Hiis son's resentment as he grew older is also a major plot point towards the end of the movie.

I enjoyed both of them. They are both a little slow moving, Goodbye.. more than A Man... and like the Churchill movie I think you have to take the history with a couple of handfuls of salt

If Victoria and Abdul is still there this next weekend, Mrs Happy has expressed a desire to see it.
                  Last edited by happyone; 01-17-2018, 10:32 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• I expect the Best Picture Oscar nominations to be announced Tuesday will be better, top to bottom, than those of last year. Within the past week I've seen two that should be on the list and I enjoyed them both very much.

The Post is very good, with strong performances from Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks and a good supporting cast (although I like Jason Robards as Ben Bradlee in All The President's Men better). The 45-year-old story is very timely in view of current events and it was interesting for me to contrast my feelings back then (Daniel Ellsberg was a traitor!) with the sympathy I feel now for those willing to risk a career to help expose government wrongdoing (not that all of them are without fault...). I didn't care much for the misplaced conclusion (the totally unrelated Watergate break-in), but still, a strong movie.

I liked I, Tonya even more, perhaps much more. So many great performances, esp. Allison Janney as Tonya Harding's mother (truly awesome), and the guy playing Shawn Eckhardt was hilarious. Margot Robbie was very convincing, on and off the ice, and deserves a lot of credit for bringing the story to the screen. If you haven't thought much about Tonya in the aftermath of 1994, I promise you'll feel very differently about her when you see the movie. Tonya was a very flawed person, but it's easy to see why when you see what various sources confirm as being true about her upbringing. Lots of profanity, but it's essential to the story, and what an amazing story it is. There are loads of laughs, but also some very poignant and disturbing moments throughout the film which is based on interviews with all of the major characters. Because of the sometimes conflicting versions of what happened, the characters occasionally talk straight to the audience and you get lines like "This is bullshit! This never happened." And yet despite the conflicts, you come away with a very clear sense of who these people are, and a greater sympathy for the lousy hand life dealt to Tonya.

Comment

• Phantom Thread! It’s amazing! Go see it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jumanji-- Wasn't really my idea to go and I can't say I've even seen the Robin Williams one from the 90's, but it was pretty entertaining. I like about every movie with Jack Black, I like most movies with the Rock, and I like some movies with Kevin Hart, (and that tall girl from Scotland is super hot ) so it was a pretty good time.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                          Jumanji-- Wasn't really my idea to go and I can't say I've even seen the Robin Williams one from the 90's, but it was pretty entertaining. I like about every movie with Jack Black, I like most movies with the Rock, and I like some movies with Kevin Hart, (and that tall girl from Scotland is super hot ) so it was a pretty good time.
                          Have you seen The Polka King with Jack Black on Netflix? I liked it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            Jumanji-- Wasn't really my idea to go and I can't say I've even seen the Robin Williams one from the 90's, but it was pretty entertaining. I like about every movie with Jack Black, I like most movies with the Rock, and I like some movies with Kevin Hart, (and that tall girl from Scotland is super hot ) so it was a pretty good time.
                            Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                            Have you seen The Polka King with Jack Black on Netflix? I liked it.
                            I enjoyed both those movies. Polka King kind of reminded me of Bernie - Jack Black playing a sympathetic lead in a biographical crime story.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Juilliardk

N I ibuprofen
                              Hyu
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• I

U unhurt u
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...