No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday- the story of a one-man British cover band who wakes up one day in an alternate reality where the Beatles never existed. He finds fame and fortune by claiming their songs as his own, bringing new struggles and straining relationships. A bit predictable, but really fun Rom Com.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• The Farewell. Gidget cried. I really enjoyed it. I thought the way the family was portrayed was particularly poignant. It felt very real and relatable even if you weren't Chinese. In some ways it struck close to home due to my own experience growing up mostly on the mainland apart from my family in Hawaii. Gidget and I shared a good discussion afterward about the lie. I really liked what Billi's Uncle had to say about the lie and the living's responsibility to the dying. Great film that I highly recommend.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        The Farewell. Gidget cried. I really enjoyed it. I thought the way the family was portrayed was particularly poignant. It felt very real and relatable even if you weren't Chinese. In some ways it struck close to home due to my own experience growing up mostly on the mainland apart from my family in Hawaii. Gidget and I shared a good discussion afterward about the lie. I really liked what Billi's Uncle had to say about the lie and the living's responsibility to the dying. Great film that I highly recommend.
        We enjoyed it as well and had a similar discussion. I thought the premise (that a family would withhold from an elderly member that death was imminent) was a cinematic contrivance, but I discussed this with one of my students, a woman from Beijing, and she confirmed that that is routine in Chinese families. When i asked, "why?", she provided an answer similar to and as touching as the one provided by the uncle.

Comment

• The "last movie I saw" thread

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
          Yesterday- the story of a one-man British cover band who wakes up one day in an alternate reality where the Beatles never existed. He finds fame and fortune by claiming their songs as his own, bringing new struggles and straining relationships. A bit predictable, but really fun Rom Com.
          I was underwhelmed. Fun premise that had potential, but they bailed out by not creating a conflict. What kind of romcom (or movie, for that matter) doesn’t have a conflict?
          Last edited by Donuthole; 08-18-2019, 01:46 PM.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            I was underwhelmed. Fun premise that had potential, but they bailed out by not creating a conflict. What kind of romcom (or movie, for that matter) doesn’t have a conflict?
            I think you missed the conflict. There were multiple.

Comment

• Ready or Not. It was an entertaining dark comedy horror.

Comment

• Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

I don't hate Tarantino movies, but I don't always love them either. 90% of the movie seemed superfluous (maybe even marginally relevant?) but still entertaining. The revised historical ending was both gruesome and satisfying (a la Inglorious Basterds). DiCaprio and Pitt were both great, especially Leo.

If I had to give a recommendation, I'd say, "Definitely see it, I guess."

Comment

• Ready or Not

It had an 88% rating in Rotten Tomatoes, so I thought it would be good. Not my cup of tea. I laughed a few times, but horror-comedy-fantasy genre is not something I enjoy.
                  Last edited by Green Monstah; 08-27-2019, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                    Ready or Not

It had an 88% rating in Rotten Tomatoes, so I thought it would be good. Not my cup of tea. I laughed a few times, but horror-comedy-fantasy genre is not something I enjoy.
                    Horror comedies are often for fans of horror. I loved it.

Comment

• "Hustlers". Solid meh. I don't understand the almost universally positive reviews. Acting and diaglogue are average. The story is interesting enough, but there could have been a better analogy made with wall street guys/strippers/stock market crash. No amount of thongs and boobies can make this any better than a B-minus movie. And without them, it would be a C.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        "Hustlers". Solid meh. I don't understand the almost universally positive reviews. Acting and diaglogue are average. The story is interesting enough, but there could have been a better analogy made with wall street guys/strippers/stock market crash. No amount of thongs and boobies can make this any better than a B-minus movie. And without them, it would be a C.
                        What on earth are you talking about? 6.6 on IMDB. Anything below 7.0 is a big risk.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          What on earth are you talking about? 6.6 on IMDB. Anything below 7.0 is a big risk.
                          The Metacritic score is 80, generally positive reviews. Rotten Tomatoes is 88. Those aren't stupendous, but still pretty solid. I do note that their audience scores are lower though.
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            The Metacritic score is 80, generally positive reviews. Rotten Tomatoes is 88. Those aren't stupendous, but still pretty solid. I do note that their audience scores are lower though.
                            This is exactly why I never use Rotten Tomatoes. IMDB is so much more reliable as a metric.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              This is exactly why I never use Rotten Tomatoes. IMDB is so much more reliable as a metric.
                              That's funny. I think IMDB is a bad metric, since it seems like 75% of movies get scored between a 6.5 and a 7.9. I actually think a triangulation of the fan/critics/top critics RT scores makes for the most accurate assessment, provided you know how to do the calculations. Metacritic is terrible.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                That's funny. I think IMDB is a bad metric, since it seems like 75% of movies get scored between a 6.5 and a 7.9. I actually think a triangulation of the fan/critics/top critics RT scores makes for the most accurate assessment, provided you know how to do the calculations. Metacritic is terrible.
                                That's a big range!

Comment

Working...
                                X