Page 116 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116
Results 3,451 to 3,474 of 3474

Thread: The "last movie I saw" thread

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Really? This little crusade seems sort of stupid to me at this point.
    Seems like a legitimate critique of almost any Wes Anderson film at about the 1:30 mark.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Really? This little crusade seems sort of stupid to me at this point.
    Anytime the subject turns to pupusas I am happy.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Rounders: I've been meaning to watch this one for a long time, but only finally got around to it. It hasn't aged well, and Malkovich's Teddy KGB seems really over the top. I really enjoyed it in spite of those problems, and Damon, Norton, and Tuturro were all fantastic.
    Nice. That's the source of the Abe Petrovsky quote in my sig line. I thought Norton did a good job playing the POS/leech buddy as well.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

.........................__0.............0
    ...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
    .....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Saw Guardians of the Galaxy. Two thumbs up. The action scenes weren't too long and drawn out. The plot was slightly above average, given the genre. The settings and characters were above average for the genre. The comedy totally made the film. The racoon was awesome.
    I really wanted to hate this movie, but loved it.
    "That John Denver is full of [it] man"

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I saw it this weekend, and I completely agree. It's how I remember summer blockbusters being when I was a kid.
    x2. I really enjoyed this comic movie. Probably my favorite of them all.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    x2. I really enjoyed this comic movie. Probably my favorite of them all.
    We loved it. Just saw it last weekend. It's probably my favorite of all of them as well.
    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Enemy.

I liked it. I took it as a non linear story but it seems I might be in the minority with that interpretation.

Snowpiercer. That has to be one of the dumbest, most ridiculous movies I have ever seen.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Snowpiercer. That has to be one of the dumbest, most ridiculous movies I have ever seen.
    I was surprised it received such great reviews, I thought it sucked.

And the ending? OMG.

Quote Originally Posted by fusnik View Post

And the ending? OMG.
    The ending. The beginning. The middle. It all sucked.
    So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Huh -- seriously? I was going to rent this -- but I'm not a sci-fi fan at all so I better pass.

I finally saw Wolf of Wall Street and was adequately entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Huh -- seriously? I was going to rent this -- but I'm not a sci-fi fan at all so I better pass.

I finally saw Wolf of Wall Street and was adequately entertained.
    I'll save you 2 hours:

A train with a perpetual engine is built
    Dude who built the train built a railroad that traverses the entire globe
    Global warming is destroying planet
    Humans shoot a bomb into the ozone to help
    Freezes the earth and only people who survive are on the train
    Caste system created
    People in the back wanna go to the front
    People in the back revolt and go to the front
    Some people die
    Train blows up
    2 kids survive and realize it's not too cold anymore to live outside the train

Huh?

Wow. I thought it was one of the more smart sci fi films I've seen. There was some decent social commentary in it was well.

Oh well. For those who haven't seen it (and haven't read fusnik's spoilers), I still recommend it.

I'll save you 2 hours:

A train with a perpetual engine is built
    Dude who built the train built a railroad that traverses the entire globe
    Global warming is destroying planet
    Humans shoot a bomb into the ozone to help
    Freezes the earth and only people who survive are on the train
    Caste system created
    People in the back wanna go to the front
    People in the back revolt and go to the front
    Some people die
    Train blows up
    Okay. It makes sense now. JL researching for the next trolling effort in the psuedoscience thread.

And the ending? OMG.
    I thought I was the only one.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

WTF no spoiler alert?!?!

Yeah that's not a movie I would like. Can't understand the 95% on RT.

WTF no spoiler alert?!?!

I really liked it. Maybe my favorite movie I've seen in the last year. All the criticisms I've read here are all fair. I can't explain why I liked it so much. It just really engaged me.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    I really liked it. Maybe my favorite movie I've seen in the last year. All the criticisms I've read here are all fair. I can't explain why I liked it so much. It just really engaged me.

WTF no spoiler alert?!?!

There is no accounting for taste when it comes to scifi fans.

Note the user reviews on metacritics. Everyone either loves it or hates it.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/snow...r/user-reviews

This one pretty much sums up my response:

Without doubt, one of the worst films of 2014, as well as of recent years, Snowpiercer was a massive disappointment. Collectively, I'm a fan of several of the actors and behind-the-scenes talent involved with this film, as well as its kind of dystopian setting, so although I knew little about the film I had high hopesfor it - sadly, they were soon dashed. Where to begin?

There were just too many things wrong with it - for a train that's perpetually rocketing around the world, half the film featured zero sense of inertia or speed (even Star Trek's hams could wobble in their seats sometimes), as utterly stationary cast and equipment appeared stage-bound - apart from a few token sequences. We had a rocketing train that conveniently slowed wayyyy down at key expositional points (the Plane Below, the Frozen Exiles), as well as utterly bizarre casting decisions that were never explained (Jamie Bell's bizarre and somewhat patronising "Shoite!" 'Oirish' accent - why?!), while Hurt and Evans regularly over-emoted as though they going for an Academy award. (Just wait til the seemingly endless speech about what Evans used to eat...)

Then, once the story started rolling along into the front, better-off section of the train, it absolutely rocketed into utter silliness. Yes, we get that they're all decadent, parasitic snobs living it up at the front - but did we need slo-mo Eurodisco shots to underline this? (Send in the gimps!) Derivative and dull to sit through, ticking one clichéd box after another, this was the point where I started considering what I could be doing instead of staying on board to the ending.

The film's one - and only - saving grace is Tilda Swinton, who stole every scene with her perfidious Mason character. Half Gollum, half Northern English trade unionist, and half vintage Deirdre Barlow (Irish/British TV audiences will get that reference), her cowardly, sniping, mocking and treacherous ways were an absolute hoot to watch, with her hateful character proving unexpectedly entertaining in each and every scene she was in, while John Hurt was also a reliably engaging presence on screen.

Unfortunately, one brilliant character and an okay-ish set-up do not an entertaining film make, and the initially interesting dystopian set-up soon derails into a cheap - and dare one say, almost grubby-feeling - Eurofilmesque tale, populated with flashes of jarring, stylised uber-violence, an inconsistent narrative, lazy editing, generally cheap-looking CGI/effects and a crashing bore of an ending.

As such, it's 3 points for Tildy's turn, but a big, fat Zero for anything else...

I'm a big fan of the first Sin City, I thought it was unique and very well done. I thought we were going to see a string of graphic novel movies done the same way. I'm surprised it took 9 years to make a sequel.

I've seen 300 once, it was marginally okay. The Spirit was panned and I never bothered with it. Now Sin City 2 looks like it's total crap.

It appears as if Sin City will retain that uniqueness, all other attempts at the graphic novel against a green screen have been terrible.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

I loved the 1st and will see the 2nd.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    I'm a big fan of the first Sin City, I thought it was unique and very well done. I thought we were going to see a string of graphic novel movies done the same way. I'm surprised it took 9 years to make a sequel.

I've seen 300 once, it was marginally okay. The Spirit was panned and I never bothered with it. Now Sin City 2 looks like it's total crap.

It appears as if Sin City will retain that uniqueness, all other attempts at the graphic novel against a green screen have been terrible.
    I really enjoyed the first half of Sin City. My wife made me turn it off at some point and I never got to watch the second half. Seeing the trailers for the new one has reminded me I need to go back and watch the first one all the way through.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGrace View Post
    I loved the 1st and will see the 2nd.
    Richard Roeper loved it. I'm curious what the Cinemascore is on it. Eva Green's boobs alone are enough for the film to earn at least a B+.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I should add that if you see "The Giver," you need to stay past the credits. There's a short bonus feature about the making of the movie.
    Drat, I saw "The Giver" but didn't stay past the credits.

I'm not really sure how I felt about the movie. It wasn't a bad movie. However, it did feel like something was lost in translation between the book and the film adaptation in terms of message impact and being thought-provoking. I could see the ghosts of those themes in the film adaptation though, and for a lot of people I'm sure it will be enough to be worth watching.