"With No Negro Dialect"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hallelujah View Post
    Dems supported Lott's ousting. I don't think either should cause them to loose their leadership position. However, since the Dems created the line to cross, the Dems are the hypocrits here.
    No any Repubs that were angry about Lott's ousting and want Reid gone are as well.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
      Robin, no one here is disagreeing with you.

The only point I'm making (along with others), is that this is a perfect example of how hypocrisy has infested our political system to a ridiculous degree.

Do you doubt if a Republican senator had said the exact same thing that Democrats would be killing them? It's dumb.
      Has a Republican senator ever said anything remotely similar? I have no idea if a Republican senator would be crucified for making an obviously supportive statement about a black candidate, albeit with an anachronistic term that was once categorically acceptable.

Some folks here have tried to compare Lott's statements at Strom Thurmond's B-Day to this event, but the content of the two controversies is seriously different. Lott expressed the wish that a candidate that had run on an overtly racist platform had won the presidency of the US. Was Lott being polite at an old man's BDay? Was Lott expressing support for Strom's other conservative positions? Or was Lott tacitly supporting Strom's racism? There is ambiguity there, which is why folks can debate the question. There is no ambiguity in the Reid example. Reid's intent is clear, so we can look at what he said and make a clear argument about whether or not it was racist.

But I can't think of any Republican example that parallels this, and until someone provides a parallel example, claims of hypocrisy sound more like sniveling and whining.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
        Has a Republican senator ever said anything remotely similar? I have no idea if a Republican senator would be crucified for making an obviously supportive statement about a black candidate, albeit with an anachronistic term that was once categorically acceptable.

Some folks here have tried to compare Lott's statements at Strom Thurmond's B-Day to this event, but the content of the two controversies is seriously different. Lott expressed the wish that a candidate that had run on an overtly racist platform had won the presidency of the US. Was Lott being polite at an old man's BDay? Was Lott expressing support for Strom's other conservative positions? Or was Lott tacitly supporting Strom's racism? There is ambiguity there, which is why folks can debate the question. There is no ambiguity in the Reid example. Reid's intent is clear, so we can look at what he said and make a clear argument about whether or not it was racist.

But I can't think of any Republican example that parallels this, and until someone provides a parallel example, claims of hypocrisy sound more like sniveling and whining.
        Translation: "Yes, I do doubt Democrats would respond negatively to a Republican senator using the word 'negro' when discussing President Obama."

It's a hypothetical; no need for the long-winded answer.

Comment

Translation: "Yes, I do doubt Democrats would respond negatively to a Republican senator using the word 'negro' when discussing President Obama."

It's a hypothetical; no need for the long-winded answer.
          Translation: I, JohnnyLingo, am going to snivel and whine about members of my party receiving unfair treatment, and I will provide zero evidence to support my position, and I don't have to, because it is just, like, an opinion, man.

Comment

And it should also be noted that Reid is currently paying a serious price for the use of that anachronism, both at the hands of democrats and republicans alike. The president has already spoken publicly about it, acknowledging that the word 'negro' as it was used was a problem. That is a serious embarrassment to Reid, who already faces re-election problems. It isn't as if this hasn't cost Reid anything. The question is whether or not it should cost him his leadership.

Comment

Translation: I, JohnnyLingo, am going to snivel and whine about members of my party receiving unfair treatment, and I will provide zero evidence to support my position, and I don't have to, because it is just, like, an opinion, man.
              Um, sure. I guess that's accurate. I'm just not sure how to provide evidence of how people would react to a hypothetical situation. Any tips?

Comment

Um, sure. I guess that's accurate. I'm just not sure how to provide evidence of how people would react to a hypothetical situation. Any tips?
                Yes: Stop being a whining, sniveling wuss who brings up unsupported hypotheticals that serve primarily to demonstrate the depths of your persecution complex.
                Last edited by RobinFinderson; 01-12-2010, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Yes: Stop being a whining, sniveling wuss who brings up hypotheticals that clearly demonstrate that you have a persecution complex.
                  Attention everyone: someone urinated in Robin's breakfast cereal this morning.

Just a heads up.

Comment

Attention everyone: someone urinated in Robin's breakfast cereal this morning.

Just a heads up.
                    Give it a rest, Johnny. Your act gets really old.
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyLingo
                      Edited by pelagius
                      You just wished death on me. You've wished cancer on other people. I think you need a break from CUF.
                      Last edited by pelagius; 01-12-2010, 10:58 AM.
                      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I don't think Reid's comment is racist. Definitely a poor choice of words. I still don't know why I would even comment on this subject, and especially the way he did. I tend to agree with Robin on Reid's comment.

I do however feel if this was a republican, President Obama would have not come out and supported that person, and the media and public groups would be crying for action. And that is what pisses me off the most. Both of these parties are jacked up and look foolish at every turn with their over reaction to every problem and comment.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          You just wished death on me. You've wished cancer on other people. I think you need a break from CUF.
                          Lol, nice edit.

Comment

Lol, nice edit.
                            It is a nice edit and shows some maturity and restraint.
                            Last edited by Solon; 01-12-2010, 10:00 AM.
                            "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                            -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Normally when a post is deleted, there's a line that says "post deleted" or whatever. If a mod deletes it, does it just look like it never existed?
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                Normally when a post is deleted, there's a line that says "post deleted" or whatever. If a mod deletes it, does it just look like it never existed?
                                Yep.

Comment

Working...
                                X