Salt Lake MUST EATS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Has anybody tried this place? http://www.africanrestaurant.org/Afr...estaurant.html

I'm thinking of giving it a shot tonight. They get excellent reviews, but it's not close to me so I'd rather not go unless I'm confident it will be good.
    I like the clever name.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• lol the name is terrible. check it out and report.

I went to a "South African" place last year (located in North SL or Bountiful, cant remember) because I really wanted bunny chow, but this place served really terrible kotas. Never went back.
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Has anybody tried this place? http://www.africanrestaurant.org/Afr...estaurant.html

I'm thinking of giving it a shot tonight. They get excellent reviews, but it's not close to me so I'd rather not go unless I'm confident it will be good.
        The restaurant we went to wasn't at that location--it was on State St., but all the decor looks the same so I wonder if they moved.

Anyway the Budenaa Bread was disgusting. Sort of like a rancid sponge bread with the taste and texture of sweet fermented rice cake that the pake cake truck used to schlep around in Hawaii, but sour. I thought the beef stew entre would be good because I love red peppers, but it was surprisingly tasteless, kind of a bland gumbo file flavor with no other notes, so a little "dirty" taste.

Comment

yes. some somali refugees insisted that i go there with them, and it was disgusting. i usually don't freak out about restaurant cleanliness but it was bad.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Well hell, based on early returns, I'd better be looking elsewhere for dinner options tonight.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              The restaurant we went to wasn't at that location--it was on State St., but all the decor looks the same so I wonder if they moved.
              All "African" restaurants look the same to you? Hmmmm.
              One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
              SU

Comment

Anyway the Budenaa Bread was disgusting. Sort of like a rancid sponge bread with the taste and texture of sweet fermented rice cake that the pake cake truck used to schlep around in Hawaii, but sour. I thought the beef stew entre would be good because I love red peppers, but it was surprisingly tasteless, kind of a bland gumbo file flavor with no other notes, so a little "dirty" taste.
                pake cake and soda. yum!
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• How bout Viet Deli in SS? Anyone been there? Just saw it the other day and was excited that there is a Vietnamese joint close to me now.

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    lol the name is terrible. check it out and report.

I went to a "South African" place last year (located in North SL or Bountiful, cant remember) because I really wanted bunny chow, but this place served really terrible kotas. Never went back.
                    It's dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                      How bout Viet Deli in SS? Anyone been there? Just saw it the other day and was excited that there is a Vietnamese joint close to me now.
                      I liked it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                        I liked it.
                        And with that review, I will try it today and return and report.

Comment

The place that SMR linked has been there at least 6 years.

Comment

• I hadn't realized, or at least had forgotten, that The Copper Onion had been reviewed (favorably) here on the board, but we ate there this evening and had a very good meal. I had the Wagyu Beef Stroganoff, a fine combination of good beef, pasta and a cream sauce, along with a fine crusted goat cheese salad, nice sides (asparagus and brussels sprouts) and some delish house ice cream (caramel with chocolate covered cashews). My wife, three of the kids and I left very happy and satisfied. The place wasn't impressive visually but still comfortable and our server was great. Highly recommended.

Comment

• The Copper Onion is great but I don't understand why it's so popular and busy -- really tough to get a reservation at a normal time unless you know you want to eat there weeks in advance.

We ate at Alamexo a few weeks ago and really liked it. Probably a little overpriced but we will go back for sure. I'd rank it only a little below Frida's Bistro.
                              Last edited by CardiacCoug; 04-07-2014, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• Cannella's is a very nice, small Italian place in downtown SLC. Reasonable prices, good service, good food.

204 E. 500 South (on the southeast corner of 200 East and 500 South)
                                801-355-8518

Review: http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/artic...las-amore.html
                                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                                ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
                                X